Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #31
cap7
User

Default Re: Critic David Denby's "Has Hollywood Murdered the Movie?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
Eh, I'm not convinced. I wouldn't necessarily call The Green Mile, Castaway, Catch Me if you Can, Dramas.

But, beyond that, from last year, The Descendants, Margin Call, Drive, Tree of Life, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Moneyball, and that's just 2011.
As I said movies like that are still being made and I liked all of those you mentioned (except for Margin Call which I haven't seen). What I'm saying is that there are fewer big hits among those movies. Even Argo, mentioned by ATB, will probably not cross 100M domestically. Neither did any of those 2011 dramas. Social Network did high 90s. All of the movies I listed crossed 100M mark comfortably. And that was 10 years ago, so add lower ticket prices and inflation and it's even more impressive that Cast Away did 230 and Catch Me If You Can did 160. How much do you think something like Flight would make in 2001? How much do you think it will make this year?

All I'm saying is that even with movies like Moneyball and Argo and Social Network "success" is not quite what it used to be. And I just wished more people saw those type of movies in the theaters.
cap7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #32
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap7 View Post
All I'm saying is that even with movies like Moneyball and Argo and Social Network "success" is not quite what it used to be. And I just wished more people saw those type of movies in the theaters.
I think 'success' is poorly defined in these types of discussions. The movies you mentioned were successful 'cause, number 1, they're good movies.

As far as financial success, I think they are, and definitely for the people who made those movies 'cause they'll be able to make more movies like those.

I think all this hand-wringing and "nothing but crap out there" sentiments are just the usual moaning and bitching that really amounts to not much.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #33
ATB

The King's Speech -- nearly 140 million Domestic. Over 400 million Worldwide.

Moneyball -- 75 million Domestic. 110 million Worldwide.

Black Swan -- 107 million Domestic. 330 million Worldwide.

The Social Network -- 97 million Domestic. 225 million Worldwide.

The Fighter -- 93 million Domestic. 129 million Worldwide.

The Artist -- 133 million Worldwide.

The Descendants -- 82 million Domestic. 177 million Worldwide.

These are serious successes. Critical and financial.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
60WordsPerHour
Regular

The Denby article is one of those things I partially agree with but mostly reject.

It's become kind of tedious to be a member of this club—but like him I'm one of those who does think that the auteur of yesterday > the "auteur" of today. (Funnily enough, one of the films that Denby championed as evidence of under-supported latter-day auteurism is—to me—ham-fisted and trying way too hard: There Will Be Blood.)

The thing is, the age of Altman and Kubrick et al is over. It's not coming back—for a hundred different reasons. One of them is that tastes have become fragmented, with spectacle-driven cinema now being the most natural fit for the theatres. It makes sense—big event movies can unite the different audience tribes where they overlap in the Venn diagram.

But, in my opinion (and I'm hardly the first to notice this), high-quality drama of the type that Denby advocates has gone to television. He mentions TV briefly in the article and laments that it isn't the same big experience as theatrical, but I think he understates its importance. Television has become so amazingly good for drama of late that for me at least it more than makes up for the lack of it at the cinema.
60WordsPerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #35
Chief

Hollywood has not murdered the movie, America has.

i.e. the people that watch the movies, as long as it has explosions and bright lights it's a good film.

Compare that to the Korean films that are successful. Oldboy, Chaser etc. You think those film would be made here?

(Yes, I know they're making an Oldboy but I'm pretty sure that either A) They'll make an honest remake and it will flop or B) They will change it for the American audience).
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
Mossbraker
Regular

Well, Altman's and Kubric's era was also full of big budget disaster flicks and James Bond movies, so...what's changed again?

Perhaps there's just less creative and experimental people these days?

Or we're just reaching the end of possibilities. Other than graffiti art, the art world's pretty dead these days as well. What's to do when it's all been done? Someone's gotta step up and show us something new.
Mossbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
halloweenjak
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbraker View Post
Well, Altman's and Kubric's era was also full of big budget disaster flicks and James Bond movies, so...what's changed again?

Perhaps there's just less creative and experimental people these days?

Or we're just reaching the end of possibilities. Other than graffiti art, the art world's pretty dead these days as well. What's to do when it's all been done? Someone's gotta step up and show us something new.
Halo 4?
halloweenjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #38
FoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbraker View Post
Other than graffiti art, the art world's pretty dead these days as well. What's to do when it's all been done? Someone's gotta step up and show us something new.
Maybe we could burn all the old artwork and start fresh.
FoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #39
LauriD

Related article at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/mo...it_th_20121029
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
Steven R
User

If anything, I'd say that Hollywood hasn't destroyed the movies, but rather Hollywood is pricing themselves out of existance. Between movie costs and advertising even a cheap film can cost upwards of 100,000,000 to get into the theaters. And it costs so bloody much just to go to the theater, it's just not a good value for the money. Better to catch it on Netflix or Redbox because the DVD will be out in three months anyways.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote