Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
ket222
User

Default Where can I find studios/contacts for NC17 indie/art house type film?

I am confused on feedback for my script, and would also like guidance on where to send my erotic (NC17)/artistic/ psychological based thriller that takes place in France (American protagonist). I believe the script is probably ideal for an indie or even European studio--how do I make contacts to send my script?

I just won the StoryPros script writing competition, had a Scriptpalooza reviewer write that the script could get 'high consideration' if I made changes (which I've done)...but VERY LOW reviewer scores on Black List. The latter reviewers (2 of them) didn't seem to take into account I wrote a NC17 erotic art film, and basically said "there is too much sex and it will have a very small audience and no one will make the film."

I've worked for a year with a well respected script editor who says it should be a 'cult classic' with a very strong story/dialogue. The story takes place in France between an American who lost his wife in a car accident, his French lover who turns out to be a prostitute, and the vengeaful ghost of his dead wife coming back to haunt him as he descends into madness (we learn later that he killed his wife in the accident out of jealousy over an affair).

Are there Indie film studios (or foreign/European market) that I could contact to see if they would be interested in the script? Any specific contacts that I could reach out to? Or is it hopeless?! Also, how can I share my script with this forum community or are there others I might upload my script to?

Thank you very much!
ket222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
EscapeFL
User

Default Re: Where can I find studios/contacts for NC17 indie/art house type film?

I would look up films that fall into this category and see who the producers/directors were. Look them up on IMDBpro.
Good luck,
EscapeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
danj
User

Default Re: Where can I find studios/contacts for NC17 indie/art house type film?

I'm in a similar situation.

After having my screenplay reviewed on The Black List (like yourself, I didn't receive great scores, but it was my first attempt at screenplay so I'm taking it to much to heart), the reviewer ended his/her comments with:

"this type of slow-burn drama may not find much traction in the US, however could be do well in the European market"

I'm just going through IMDB PRO looking at production companies producing similar films with low-mid budgets.
danj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
ket222
User

I will look into IMDB PRO, but will it have specific email addresses for European production companies and specific contact names? Where should I look for European agents and managers, and can I contact them in English? Is there any service that helps promote these international contacts?
ket222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
jtwg50

Hi Ket -- you are going to find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to find any interest in the U.S. for such a script. That's because NC-17 ratings are anathema to exhibitors (theaters). Making things even worse is the fact that it has been a very long time since an NC-17 rated film was successful in the U.S., even if given the chance (being shown).
Your only real chance is with a European production company and distributor. And that is a viable market. BUT the amounts of money paid out are a fraction of the U.S. and there are a lot of pitfalls along the way for foreign (non-European) filmmakers, because the governments play such a large role in financing, especially in France.
And as a new, unproven writer, all of those obstacles are magnified.
Your only real option, in my opinion, is to try to raise the money and produce and/or produce and direct it yourself, which is absolutely doable IF you have a script that blows people away. And the best bet would be to find an established European director who is willing to attach himself or herself.
jtwg50 is offline   Reply With Quote