Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
jeanpaul
User

Default Re: Can I get an agent with only spec pilot or must have spec of existing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimgrande View Post
the practical reality is that most agents aren't interested in breaking new writers.

When it comes to lower level jobs, the "entry" level position of staff writer, the competition for those positions is between assistants on shows looking for get promoted, writers from programs (particularly if they are diverse), and writers who have some personal connection to a showrunner who is willing to hire them.

Agents are far more inclined to see how all that shakes out and then look to sign people after they've gotten hired, rather than sign people and do the arduous work of getting them a job.

Being a lawyer is a huge plus, and having material that speaks to that experience would be smart. Finding a manager who is willing to try and sell a spec pilot of yours would be a great way for you to get yourself and your material out the community at large and lead to the kind of meeting that will get you put of for jobs. There may be agents at smaller agencies willing to go along for this ride.

A strong and unique idea that speaks to your personal experience is going to be the best way to get reps excited about you and your work.
Thanks Jim, and yes, my spec pilot is about firm life so there is that. I only wish my actual office was as exciting as my spec
jeanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
jeanpaul
User

Default Re: Can I get an agent with only spec pilot or must have spec of existing?

One last question - age. I'm within earshot of 40. will I be judged too old to be a baby staff writer?
jeanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
jimjimgrande

Mostly no, you will not be dismissed solely because of your age.

jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
ComicBent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
I mean, the reality is that they're looking for something great, and enough supporting material that they can believe the great thing isn't a flash in the pan.
This ought to be someone's signature line. Really.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote