No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Shorts

Comrades,

I made some short films in grad school for loose change (10 years ago or so).

Shortly after that I became a "professional screenwriter" and never directed anything again- although I am now pursuing various projects as writer-director.

Anyway, I am talking to a producer about one of my projects and he keeps pressing to see the short films.

It's a bit like pulling out your demo tapes that you recorded in your mom's kitchen.

Actually maybe I am being a bit harsh. They are surprisingly fun- and they had their moment on the festival circuit at the time. But... they're weird and tiny and made by a 25 year old. DEFINITELY not Sundance shorts.

Would you just go "ehhh fack it" and send him the shorts, maybe with a humorous intro about how old they are ?

Or would you just point blank refuse and explain that they are not a fair representation of where I am at now?

Just to clarify: actors have come on board my projects without seeing a single frame of my shorts - I usually sell myself via storyboards, look books, and of course the fact that I write my own stuff. So on a practical level I feel like it wouldn't make that much of a difference whether this guy sees my shorts or not. But it's stressing me out a bit.

just curious

Re: Old Shorts

My short films that I got to make in college are terrible. But I haven't done anything since and I'm sad inside typing this sentence. So sounds like you're about to make a new short or film?

Are you directing?

1. Do what you makes you feel comfortable
    2. You can always get a new producer
    3. Is your fear that he'll see these old shorts you didn't want to show him and not want to do the project because they are so bad?
    4. sounds like you've had other projects, so I'm confused why aren't they available to see?

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
      Comrades,

Shortly after that I became a "professional screenwriter" and never directed anything again- although I am now pursuing various projects as writer-director.

Anyway, I am talking to a producer about one of my projects and he keeps pressing to see the short films.

It's a bit like pulling out your demo tapes that you recorded in your mom's kitchen.

Actually maybe I am being a bit harsh. They are surprisingly fun- and they had their moment on the festival circuit at the time. But... they're weird and tiny and made by a 25 year old. DEFINITELY not Sundance shorts.

Would you just go "ehhh fack it" and send him the shorts, maybe with a humorous intro about how old they are ?

Or would you just point blank refuse and explain that they are not a fair representation of where I am at now?

Just to clarify: actors have come on board my projects without seeing a single frame of my shorts - I usually sell myself via storyboards, look books, and of course the fact that I write my own stuff. So on a practical level I feel like it wouldn't make that much of a difference whether this guy sees my shorts or not. But it's stressing me out a bit.

just curious
      How did they find out about them? If you told them, you have to send them. Not sending them would be like you're hiding something. It's human nature.

I've dealt with this before. Actors, especially good actors, will pass on a script they like if they don't trust the director. Send the shorts. Don't make excuses for them. If it doesn't work, make a new short to send in the future.

Comment

Comrades,

just curious
        It's a tough call. Provided there are no basic errors and the shorts hold together, you should probably be okay. But the reality is that many people in the industry, including producers, don't really have the vision to see potential.

But if people are going to be financing your film there's a good chance they're going to want to see some example of directing work before they will be ready to back you with that.

Do you have enough contacts to perhaps make a quick new short? Even a 3 to 5 minute one in one location shot in a day? Might be worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
          How did they find out about them? If you told them, you have to send them. Not sending them would be like you're hiding something. It's human nature.

I've dealt with this before. Actors, especially good actors, will pass on a script they like if they don't trust the director. Send the shorts. Don't make excuses for them. If it doesn't work, make a new short to send in the future.
          Completely agree.

Comment

IDK man, I'd feel uneasy sending a bunch of old shorts...

Instead, if it were me, I'd suggest "Hey, why don't I just cut you a reel. I've grown immensely since then." That way you can cut together only the best parts of each. Otherwise, you can't escape them judging the STORY. I'd only want to be judged on the visual/tonal esthetic.
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

sorry, I should have clarified:
              I haven't directed a feature yet but my writer/director projects have had big actors attached to them. unfortunately, due to reasons out of my control, we never crossed the finish line. but we came insanely close and I doubt it was because of my shorts or lack thereof.

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              My short films that I got to make in college are terrible. But I haven't done anything since and I'm sad inside typing this sentence. So sounds like you're about to make a new short or film?

Are you directing?

1. Do what you makes you feel comfortable
              2. You can always get a new producer
              3. Is your fear that he'll see these old shorts you didn't want to show him and not want to do the project because they are so bad?
              4. sounds like you've had other projects, so I'm confused why aren't they available to see?

Comment

we were talking about my background and they asked if I had directing experience. I mentioned directing student shorts and that was that.

Comment

haha I seem to recall cutting a highlights reel of "random awesome shots" and setting it to "Scarecrow" by Ministry some time ago... amazing what Industrial Music will do to bad dialogue!

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                  IDK man, I'd feel uneasy sending a bunch of old shorts...

Instead, if it were me, I'd suggest "Hey, why don't I just cut you a reel. I've grown immensely since then." That way you can cut together only the best parts of each. Otherwise, you can't escape them judging the STORY. I'd only want to be judged on the visual/tonal esthetic.

Comment

haha I seem to recall cutting a highlights reel of "random awesome shots" and setting it to "Scarecrow" by Ministry some time ago... amazing what Industrial Music will do to bad dialogue!
                    LOL... funny you'd mention that song. I did a demo of a song [link below] right around time their song came out. I knew I was dead, theirs was better. Similar idea.

SONG: https://clyp.it/user/reckjsmc

TITLE: U.S.A.

LYRICS: (yeah that's me singing, I'm like 20 here. The mix sucks. Didn't know what I was doing yet...)

DEATH…

I crawl amongst the children with thorns in hand
                    A stitch of skin to cover this hollow man
                    I bleed upon the cross of barren fields
                    And through the night the hangman never fears

…Scarecrow
                    …Scarecrow
                    …Scarecrow

I’m alive.
                    I’m alive.

Impaled to provide shelter for harvest crops
                    With pigs head wreath in honor of you my friend
                    I bleed upon the cross of barren fields
                    And through the night the hangman never fears

…Scarecrow
                    …Scarecrow
                    …Scarecrow

I’m alive.
                    I’m alive.

Comment

So you're currently working on a feature to write and direct?

You made other stuff (with footage?) but never finished a short film since college which you don't want to show?

Is that right?

Many first time directors make feature films and they didnt' do anything beforehand.

Comment

we were talking about my background and they asked if I had directing experience. I mentioned directing student shorts and that was that.
                        If they asked for them, you gotta send 'em. Make sure you reiterate "Student Shorts".... otherwise they're going wonder what you're hiding, if you told the truth, or if you're uncooperative. I wish it wasn't that way, but thats how producers think.

Comment

I just don't get why a producer even cares to look at 10 year old "Student Shorts"..??

Comment

If they asked for them, you gotta send 'em. Make sure you reiterate "Student Shorts".... otherwise they're going wonder what you're hiding, if you told the truth, or if you're uncooperative. I wish it wasn't that way, but thats how producers think.
                            This is second time you said this -- and you got a movie made -- but I don't think this is true. I mean no one can MAKE you send them.

Also I'm assuming this producer is up and coming and not established if we are talking about student films.

Also the easiest excuse ever is "MY MOM THREW THEM OUT." "OH CRAP THEY'RE ON 16MM..."

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                              This is second time you said this -- and you got a movie made -- but I don't think this is true. I mean no one can MAKE you send them.

Also I'm assuming this producer is up and coming and not established if we are talking about student films.

Also the easiest excuse ever is "MY MOM THREW THEM OUT." "OH CRAP THEY'RE ON 16MM..."
                              LOL... good ol "Dog ate my homework" approach.

Yeah, me, personally, fukk that! I ain't sending 10 year old sh!t. I'm lying and making an excuse NOT to. HOW CAN SENDING THEM HELP YOU? I just don't see it...

Comment

Working...
                              X