Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
TigerFang

Default Re: My list of the "best" screenwriting fellowships, labs, contests, etc.

As for contests, it seems to me that winning or placing in any contest is its own reward, a bullet on the old curriculum vitae, or “a feather in one’s cap,” as the saying goes.

There seems to me to be no guarantees of any interest from representatives of any stripe from a win in any contest. The screenplays that win or place may be good enough, good, or even great, but perhaps there may be hidden clues in correspondence with the writers — written, virtual, or face-to-face — that bespeaks inflexible contention or a lack of chemistry between the representatives and the writers.

Furthermore, despite the winning entries’ ability to remain afloat and on top of the turgid, turbulent river of screenplays flowing under the bridge where contest judges randomly scoop them up with a fish net as a prize-winning catch, no one may be interested in the subject matter of the screenplays, so much so that they would be unwilling to represent the scripts or the writers.

Are the winners of contests the best screenplays that were entered? Probably not, something that’s been proven time and again with non-winning contest entries being picked up and produced as award-winning films. As ever, it’s a matter of subjective opinion as to what’s good and what isn’t good, just as it’s a matter of opinion among the agents, managers, and producers as to what they will and won’t, what they do and don’t, wish to represent. None of them are going to guarantee that they’ll represent whoever wins or places in a contest, so there you are.

Here are some articles of interest on this subject:

Reader Question: Why are so few script contest winners made into movies? — In this case, the fellow posing the question — not the author of the article — is not that great of a writer or else he wouldn’t place a question mark at the end of statements as he does twice in his complete query (see article). That in itself is a clue as to the level of the writer and the quality of his or her writing, and that is something often overlooked by contests in favor of story, but something that I believe would (and probably does) make a big difference to those choosing writers at the professional level.

Confessions of a Screenwriting Contest Judge: The Difference Between Semifinalists & Winners (by the way, this one is written by a Page Contest judge)

If I had a Nicholl — an article written nine years ago about the Nicholl contest and some of its statistics, but interesting and informative nonetheless.

Last edited by TigerFang : 01-07-2019 at 10:08 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #12
LauriD

Default Re: My list of the "best" screenwriting fellowships, labs, contests, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Here are some articles of interest on this subject:

Reader Question: Why are so few script contest winners made into movies? — In this case, the fellow posing the question — not the author of the article — is not that great of a writer or else he wouldn’t place a question mark at the end of statements as he does twice in his complete query (see article). That in itself is a clue as to the level of the writer and the quality of his or her writing, and that is something often overlooked by contests in favor of story, but something that I believe would (and probably does) make a big difference to those choosing writers at the professional level.

Confessions of a Screenwriting Contest Judge: The Difference Between Semifinalists & Winners (by the way, this one is written by a Page Contest judge)

If I had a Nicholl — an article written nine years ago about the Nicholl contest and some of its statistics, but interesting and informative nonetheless.
Good resources -- thanks! I may add some more links like these to the intro to the list.

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 AM   #13
Merrick
User

My take away from reading this is that the only contests worth entering are Nicholl and Austin. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Also what a shame the submission period is around the same time for both. Just finished my script, and I need to wait another 8 months just to submit ...
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
My take away from reading this is that the only contests worth entering are Nicholl and Austin. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Also what a shame the submission period is around the same time for both. Just finished my script, and I need to wait another 8 months just to submit ...
hey Merrick, take a look at these, it lists the biggest contests +5000 entrants and smaller ones that receive less than 5,000 entrants. you can do a bit of research.

you could hashtag any of them on twitter to check out the feedback. there are other places on the internet that can provide info, too. the two most prestigious are the Nicholl and Austin, imo.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #15
Merrick
User

Hey Lisa, was I missing a link there?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #16
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Hey Lisa, was I missing a link there?

haha my bad...

here is the missing link... https://thescriptlab.com/contests-2/...tions-of-2019/ it's worth the read.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:06 AM   #17
Merrick
User

Thanks, I will def read through it this week!