Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
streaker12345
Regular

Default Producer pass?

A producer (no name at this point) requested and past on one of my scripts. I politely asked for the reason why and we ended up exchangihg 5-6 emails within an hour. He asked me why he should care about my script and what the hook is? Long story short he said he'll reread. Has anyone else had any dealings like this?
streaker12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
Brad Hole Brad
User

Default Re: Producer pass?

First impressions are key. You're shooting yourself in the foot getting a producer to re-read a script they don't like unless you are making drastic changes in the re-write. If there's no hook, there's no story. No story, no script. No script, no movie. No movie, No money.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
streaker12345
Regular

He passed and I was looking for a little feedback. I never asked him to reread the script. He started asking me questions and before I know it he said he'll reread. Maybe he was on the fence and our conversation pushed him one way? I've had reads when people passed but said "they would read a rewrite". He's reading the same script no changes or anything.
streaker12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
Brad Hole Brad
User

There are so many different ways this can go, it's worthless to get all caught up in the moment.

I'm not sure if they are a small company, or a producer with a studio deal, but I figure this is what'll happen : They will skim through it again, send another pass. Or Not read it (but say they did), and say they just aren't as passionate about the story as you are.

According to this post : http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=46922

It sounds as if you've been read all over the town in the last year. Maybe you need to re-think your concepts and re-evaluate your writing style.

Last edited by Brad Hole Brad : 08-01-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Brad Hole Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Write-Away
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hole Brad View Post
...Maybe you need to re-think your concepts and re-evaluate your writing style.
Wow, that was really rude and uncalled for. I don't understand this place sometimes.

Write-Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Brad Hole Brad
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write-Away View Post
Wow, that was really rude and uncalled for. I don't understand this place sometimes.
I think that's totally called for. What are the two main reasons why someone passes on a script. 1. The writing isn't up to par. 2. The Concept isn't marketable enough.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Telly

I don't think Brad was being rude at all, however I do disagree with him. If a producer passes but requests to see the re-write, then he sees something in the script he likes. That's important. The key is to find out what he'd like to see different and IF IT IS WORTH IT TO YOU, tackle those concerns and send him the rewrite.

But always keep a copy of your original draft as you're probably making these changes based on his notes alone. I'd never disregard a producer looking for a second read, let alone one who exchanges emails with me over a hand full of times. Clearly he's interested in you and your work. Stay calm, professional and manage your expectations.

Good luck.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Brad Hole Brad
User

Yeah, I had no intention to be rude. I was basing my reply off of the pattern of topics made by the OP. A lot of script requests, and a lot of passes. Something is wrong in the equation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I don't think Brad was being rude at all, however I do disagree with him. If a producer passes but requests to see the re-write, then he sees something in the script he likes. That's important. The key is to find out what he'd like to see different and IF IT IS WORTH IT TO YOU, tackle those concerns and send him the rewrite.

But always keep a copy of your original draft as you're probably making these changes based on his notes alone. I'd never disregard a producer looking for a second read, let alone one who exchanges emails with me over a hand full of times. Clearly he's interested in you and your work. Stay calm, professional and manage your expectations.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hole Brad View Post
Yeah, I had no intention to be rude. I was basing my reply off of the pattern of topics made by the OP. A lot of script requests, and a lot of passes. Something is wrong in the equation.
Hmm. I hadn't seen that post actually before I responded. I see what you're saying. Yes, he needs to work on his material before blasting all these reps and prodcos. However, I'd still make the revisions for this producer if he's responding that much to the OP. If it's worth it to him anyway. It's all about value and time management these days. If he truly sees a shot at this producer, then he's got to do what he's got to do.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
scripto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaker12345 View Post
A producer (no name at this point) requested and past on one of my scripts. I politely asked for the reason why and we ended up exchangihg 5-6 emails within an hour. He asked me why he should care about my script and what the hook is? Long story short he said he'll reread. Has anyone else had any dealings like this?
He DID give you a reason for passing when he said "Why should I care? What's the hook?" His response was like a very condensed, non-specific form of giving notes, lol. It seems that was his way of saying that he feels it's missing that marketable quality, that thing that makes it different or interesting or something that could actually sell.

Judging by his reaction and follow up exchange, clearly he doesn't find it awful, he just doesn't see it as stand out enough to do anything with. He feels something is missing (hence "the hook" comment), and he doubts it's ability to be interesting enough to get financial backing (hence the "Why should I care?" comment).

Should you do a complete overhaul on your script just because one no name producer didn't feel it had any real value? No. You should however, get some fellow writers to read it and keep querying and see if other people react the same way. And if they say the same thing, THEN I'd say a rewrite would be necessary if you want to see some movement on this script. Cheers, and best of luck!
scripto80 is offline   Reply With Quote