Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
MAWriter
New User

Default Family/Children Scripts?

Has anyone had any positive response querying independent producers or prod cos for kid-friendly movies? ABC Family(aka Freeform)-type of thing. I told an acquaintence that getting into Hallmark etc is unlikely without representation. But I know family content is always needed.
MAWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
DangoForth

Default Re: Family/Children Scripts?

Research the prodcos that supply Hallmark and query them. (Yes, you can get read without representation with some)
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
nguyensquared
User

Hallmark, Mar Vista, DRG. Tween girl rom/comedies, Christmas dog movies and women in peril thrillers seem to do very well with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUpH9JDKmOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangoForth View Post
Research the prodcos that supply Hallmark and query them. (Yes, you can get read without representation with some)
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
MAWriter
New User

^^ Yes Hallmark seems the obvious, though you need an agent to even be considered.

I've read Scott Kirkpatrick's articles about gold genres etc. He works at DRG now I think. Contacting these companies seems a waste of time without a persistent manager.

A couple of writers & myself are more interested now in independent producers, who seem to be more welcome to unrepped material especially if it's at a high quality & low price.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
socalwriter1
Regular

Besides needing a rep, Mar Vista wanted some attachment to the script before reading. Another challenge for us.

MAWriter, how are you finding those indep prodcos?
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
socalwriter1
Regular

Oops, just wanted to clarify... I don't know for a fact the Mar Vista wants a rep AND attachments... it's just that in one case I know of, they were asking if the script being queried had any attachment to it.
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
nguyensquared
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwriter1 View Post
Oops, just wanted to clarify... I don't know for a fact the Mar Vista wants a rep AND attachments... it's just that in one case I know of, they were asking if the script being queried had any attachment to it.
I think they may, if they've gotten big enough in recent years with international sales. If you have the kinds of scripts they're looking for (according to Scott -
tween girl comedies, women in peril thrillers, Christmas dog movies) you will certainly put yourself ahead of the pack to at least get a foot in the door.
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
MAWriter
New User

Quote:
Besides needing a rep, Mar Vista wanted some attachment to the script before reading. Another challenge for us.

MAWriter, how are you finding those indep prodcos?
Quote:
Sorry for late reply. Things are hectic for me now.
Regarding your question, I engage in rigorous research online & get a little luck by puting together snippets of information from people's chatter.

MarVista's site emphatically states they do not accept unsolicited materials. It's frustrating. You lucked out I suppose, as they actually displayed some interest in you.
But I'm querying basically any company I find who is interested in family material. Getting an individual to pay attention to you is the key, but the system is rigged to drain money out of new talented writers and tossing you a few scraps in return.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
EdFury

Hallmark doesn't want family scripts. They want romances. They want Christmas romances or G rated romantic comedy, with more romance than comedy. They want drama, with romance. There are production companies that do family films, mostly with budgets of a million or less, sometimes way less. And MarVista is a rep only production company. Like most of the Hallmark feeders, they're getting more closed, unfortunately.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Hallmark doesn't want family scripts. They want romances. They want Christmas romances or G rated romantic comedy, with more romance than comedy. They want drama, with romance. There are production companies that do family films, mostly with budgets of a million or less, sometimes way less. And MarVista is a rep only production company. Like most of the Hallmark feeders, they're getting more closed, unfortunately.
Mar Vista? Reps? Most agencies won't even talk to them. They've been on and off the WGA's Strike/Unfair List for years.

No agent would tell their client to write a Hallmark movie for Mar Vista. If MV is telling you you need an agent to get read there... they're giving you the polite blow-off.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote