Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide Squad

Not as bad as Rotten Tomatoes would lead you to believe, but not a great film either. Why is DC/Warner Bros. having so much trouble with these films? Yes, they've made gobs of money, but why all the mixed reactions?
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Re: Suicide Squad

It was written in six weeks and it shows. Dumb, cliché plot. Utterly dull antagonists. Probably the worst bad guy (girl) I've ever seen in a comic book film. I think the key grip had more depth.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
      Not as bad as Rotten Tomatoes would lead you to believe, but not a great film either. Why is DC/Warner Bros. having so much trouble with these films? Yes, they've made gobs of money, but why all the mixed reactions?
      Because it had no point of view. It didn't know what it was or what it wanted to be. Because it was constructed by a committee.

Comment

I heard it was sooooo different than the Justin Marks draft -- which I loved -- and very unfocused.

Netflix.

Comment

I would be very interested in seeing a Director's cut of this one.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
            I heard it was sooooo different than the Justin Marks draft -- which I loved -- and very unfocused.

Netflix.
            But it doesn't really make any sense to have a superhero/costumed crimefighter to be trapped in prison with supercriminals in a feature film (the TV series Arrow obviously nixes Marks's script). Suicide Squad may not be a perfect film (the director's cut, if there is one, may clear things up), but I liked it for being off-beat and unconventional.

To answer Furious's question, I think DC/Warner Bros wants to do their own thing when it comes down to superhero films. Sure, Marvel/Disney have gotten accolades along with good profit, but I, a comic book fan way BEFORE the superhero film craze, don't want to see every superhero film do a paint-by-numbers deal. There's nothing wrong with making your comic book hero complex.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

SPOILERS.....

I've given DC a pass for the most part of trying to do their own thing, but needing the Director's Cut after the fact to make things make sense kind of defeats the movie's purpose. Suicide Squad started off with a series of "index card" character introductions, wrapped itself around a dubious set-up that sort of became its own paradox (because when you get bad guys to do bad guy things then they will most likely be bad guys that do bad guy things?), and then played a first person shooter game up until the latest "big hole in the sky" ending that has become (apparently) the only way movies can show powerful things/events/people bringing about the end of the world ala Ghostbusters(original), Avengers, Thor, Transformers 3, Big Hero 6, Ghostbusters(new), etc. And all the while the writer in me was begging for (what I thought was) the obvious set-up of a soul stealing sword having something to do with liberating/defeating a villain who was essentially two souls trapped as one.

I felt like this movie was going off the rails from the get go and it never seemed to get itself back on track which made the whole experience feel thin and forced and rather pointless. That's the most disappointing thing of all. This thing had the inherent design to be cutting edge and a deep social parable, but instead it chose to be a "comic book"... and a bad one at that.

Comment

Working...
              X