Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
nycscreenwriter
User

Default Contest rules

I've seen this wording on a few contests.

"By submitting to the(Contest) you are releasing your script to (contest) and holding harmless (Contest) or any affiliates from any claims, expenses, and liabilities, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, copyright, libel, trademark, infringement, slander, personal, property, infringement, etc. "

It's like enter our contest but if a TV show with your characters appear in three years....

And is it usual to see this wording on low paying contests? (Though I realize it's not about the prize, but getting your work read!)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Contest rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycscreenwriter View Post
I've seen this wording on a few contests.

"By submitting to the(Contest) you are releasing your script to (contest) and holding harmless (Contest) or any affiliates from any claims, expenses, and liabilities, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, copyright, libel, trademark, infringement, slander, personal, property, infringement, etc. "

It's like enter our contest but if a TV show with your characters appear in three years....

And is it usual to see this wording on low paying contests? (Though I realize it's not about the prize, but getting your work read!)
you're just agreeing not to sue them in the future if they read your script for the contest. that's all. nobody at a contest is going to steal your script.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
nycscreenwriter
User

But why would we sue them for reading it? Ahiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
Old 10-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
JoeBanks

Quote:
no sane writer would. but insane, paranoid writers might when they see something later produced that bears even the slightest resemblance to their contest script. contests don't need that hassle, or legal fees
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
StoryWriter

Quote:
A "screenwriter" unsuccessfully sued Ted Elliot, Terry Rossio, the producers and the studio of "Pirates of the Caribbean" because the script had seven "similarities" to his script.

One of the more "obvious" similarities (worth suing for) was that both scripts had a pirate ship, with a "skull and crossbones flag".

The lawyers who think up these lawsuits are probably the most creative writers out there.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:15 AM   #6
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
... One of the more "obvious" similarities (worth suing for) was that both scripts had a pirate ship, with a "skull and crossbones flag".
A brief look at pirate flag design, and a good reason not to sue anyone on such flimsy grounds. Hollywood movie pirate ships have used the skull and crossbones practically since moviemaking began.

If worried about the language of contest entry rules, don't enter the contest. It's just a CYA maneuver by the contest for (obvious ... see above) legal reasons, just as an outside possibility with respect to human behavior, since they can't know the minds of their readers or what they might try.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
A brief look at pirate flag design, and a good reason not to sue anyone on such flimsy grounds. Hollywood movie pirate ships have used the skull and crossbones practically since moviemaking began.
I was trying to do facetious. And trying to give an example of why contest sponsors might want to try to cover their butts. People will sue for anything.

Apparently the screenwriter had pitched a pirate movie to the producers, sometime in the past, and he thought would be his ticket to easy money after the "Pirates of the Caribbean" was made.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
TigerFang

Quote:
I was trying to do facetious. And trying to give an example of why contest sponsors might want to try to cover their butts. People will sue for anything.

Apparently the screenwriter had pitched a pirate movie to the producers, sometime in the past, and he thought would be his ticket to easy money after the "Pirates of the Caribbean" was made.
Excuse me. Took it literally. My mistake. Write on.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #9
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Excuse me. Took it literally. My mistake. Write on.
No big deal. I've done it plenty of times myself. I probably should just learn to say what I mean and back off on the snark.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #10
FoxHound

Quote:
No big deal. I've done it plenty of times myself. I probably should just learn to say what I mean and back off on the snark.
LOL. I thought it was quite funny. Con-snark-tinue.