Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #1
GucciGhostXXX

Default You're a producer, fo realz???

I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns. Seriously? Who does business this way? Don't worry bro, never gonna check in with you. Our relationship is permanently dead. Tells me a fukk ton about someone's work ethic. That's a dude who would never get your back. Someone burns me like that, peace!

My gripe is... WHY am I the more professional one in ALL of these scenarios? Thought I was the flakey artist dude? Meanwhile I hand the script in on time or early. I communicate exactly when I say I will. I'm on my game hardcore. These people that much of a pu$$y? Bruh, just be like "Not for me man, later!" Okay, no worries bruh, been through this a billion times.

This industry is unnecessarily rude.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
docgonzo

Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

I'm going through this same exact thing right now.

I worked for months (for free!) on a TV pitch with a producer. The whole time he's engaged, excited, can't wait to get out there and pitch (never mind he has a handful of indie feature creds and zero TV experience -- guy knows f*ck-all about developing TV and it showed).

We pitch a few places. Couple of biggies. We get all passes, as one would expect from the likes of us with no big names attached. But he was hopelessly naive in thinking that we were going to sell. He really believed this. But me, being the more practically minded one, knew exactly what would happen.

We have one more pitch set up. We get some feedback from the other places. They were concerned about the series' longevity. They felt the story was thin and they weren't sure if it could last beyond a season (both issues I tried to address in developing, but because he knows jacksh!t about developing TV, he basically f*cked us from the get-go).

So with two weeks until we pitch, he wants me to go back to the drawing board and completely revamp it. Awesome, more free work for me! I come up with some ideas and we have a call. He doesn't like any of it. Well, f*ck him. But I play the good soldier (as I had been doing) and tell him I'll go back in again. Two days later I hand in a document. That's the Friday before 4th of July week. He doesn't respond. No "Thanks, I'll read and circle back." No acknowledgement of any kind.

I wait until after the 4th and email to see if he's read. Yes, he did. And again, he didn't like. But he said nothing the entire time. Keep in mind this is a pitch he was flipping over for months. He loved it. And then suddenly, he went Arctic f*cking cold. Why, who knows? Maybe he finally saw the writing on the wall. Maybe deep down he realized that he doesn't know what the f*ck he's doing (but given his clueless naivete, I doubt it!)

Regardless, this assh*le wants to cancel the last pitch. Fine, I say. Better to do that than go in with a pitch he's suddenly sour on. And to be honest, I was never that into it. He turned a cool idea into something I would never write or come up with on my own. We had a great world, and he reduced it down to a f*cking lame CW show. What the f*ck!

Anyway, I hear you! Some of these guys/gals are complete tools. It doesn't help that this particular producer is a former actor. But I digress. I really wish people would be straight up instead of pulling this silent treatment sh*t. Sack up, producers!
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Bono

I talked about this in many other threads, but simply you have something to lose and they don't. You care deeply about the project and they don't. You're 1 of many.

It's like how the fat kid (me) remembers any pretty girl that smiled at them in their dumb life and they would not remember that interaction. What is super important to my ego didn't even register as an event to them. Human nature.

Most basic is people hate to give bad news, so they don't say ****. It's not good, but that's most of it. Or they just said yes I'll read it and forgot entirely as they probably say yes to tons of **** and as the day goes on another email pops in the inbox and they literally forget.

Either way, I assume it's a "no" and move on with my life as it's just easier. I have friends that don't give me notes when I send them my scripts and I'm sure if I'm being honest I did that to my friends. And it wasn't on purpose. It was just like you had so much going on and you said "sure send it" and just forgot.

My long point is that's the business, that's human nature. I hate reading scripts myself especially my own.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Satriales
User

Personally I see it it quite a bit in my other professional life, but never to the Hollywood degree. Itís frustrating. I donít get it and could never act that way. But itís our shitty reality. But still, act like a human, one time. Gutless.

The upsides I have seen thus far, anecdotally: younger execs seem to ghost you less. Younger female execs have been far more professional in their communications and in proactively reaching out, rather than us chasing them down for an answer, even when we know itís a no. Maybe at some point in their career this changes - but I hope not. For all the crap this 40 year old puts on millennials and subsequent generations, they are way more professional in Hollywood.
Satriales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
finalact4

it's not hard to say, "it's a pass." as Satriales mentions, it's the same in other industries as well. it is very unprofessional, disrespectful, and discouraging.

i get not responding to a query that doesn't interest you. fine with it. but when you request to read the script, ignoring the writer is not cool. put your big boy pants on and "pass" if you want to pass. all the big guys do.

send it and forget it, is an unfortunate SOP.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
it's not hard to say, "it's a pass." as Satriales mentions, it's the same in other industries as well. it is very unprofessional, disrespectful, and discouraging...
Well, if we push or force them to respond, they'll just come up with some canned response system, like I wrote about here:

VPF responses
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I talked about this in many other threads, but simply you have something to lose and they don't. You care deeply about the project and they don't. You're 1 of many.

It's like how the fat kid (me) remembers any pretty girl that smiled at them in their dumb life and they would not remember that interaction. What is super important to my ego didn't even register as an event to them. Human nature.

Most basic is people hate to give bad news, so they don't say ****. It's not good, but that's most of it. Or they just said yes I'll read it and forgot entirely as they probably say yes to tons of **** and as the day goes on another email pops in the inbox and they literally forget.

Either way, I assume it's a "no" and move on with my life as it's just easier. I have friends that don't give me notes when I send them my scripts and I'm sure if I'm being honest I did that to my friends. And it wasn't on purpose. It was just like you had so much going on and you said "sure send it" and just forgot.

My long point is that's the business, that's human nature. I hate reading scripts myself especially my own.
The situation I'm in is a little different, though I've experienced this as well. This producer was genuine in his enthusiasm and naively thought it would sell based on the idea alone. In hindsight, his ignorance in developing/pitching TV is staggering. Never again with someone like this.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
I'm going through this same exact thing right now.

I worked for months (for free!) on a TV pitch with a producer. The whole time he's engaged, excited, can't wait to get out there and pitch (never mind he has a handful of indie feature creds and zero TV experience -- guy knows f*ck-all about developing TV and it showed).

We pitch a few places. Couple of biggies. We get all passes, as one would expect from the likes of us with no big names attached. But he was hopelessly naive in thinking that we were going to sell. He really believed this. But me, being the more practically minded one, knew exactly what would happen.

We have one more pitch set up. We get some feedback from the other places. They were concerned about the series' longevity. They felt the story was thin and they weren't sure if it could last beyond a season (both issues I tried to address in developing, but because he knows jacksh!t about developing TV, he basically f*cked us from the get-go).

So with two weeks until we pitch, he wants me to go back to the drawing board and completely revamp it. Awesome, more free work for me! I come up with some ideas and we have a call. He doesn't like any of it. Well, f*ck him. But I play the good soldier (as I had been doing) and tell him I'll go back in again. Two days later I hand in a document. That's the Friday before 4th of July week. He doesn't respond. No "Thanks, I'll read and circle back." No acknowledgement of any kind.

I wait until after the 4th and email to see if he's read. Yes, he did. And again, he didn't like. But he said nothing the entire time. Keep in mind this is a pitch he was flipping over for months. He loved it. And then suddenly, he went Arctic f*cking cold. Why, who knows? Maybe he finally saw the writing on the wall. Maybe deep down he realized that he doesn't know what the f*ck he's doing (but given his clueless naivete, I doubt it!)

Regardless, this assh*le wants to cancel the last pitch. Fine, I say. Better to do that than go in with a pitch he's suddenly sour on. And to be honest, I was never that into it. He turned a cool idea into something I would never write or come up with on my own. We had a great world, and he reduced it down to a f*cking lame CW show. What the f*ck!

Anyway, I hear you! Some of these guys/gals are complete tools. It doesn't help that this particular producer is a former actor. But I digress. I really wish people would be straight up instead of pulling this silent treatment sh*t. Sack up, producers!
Eesh! This type'a sh!t infuriates me. Now the dude is gonna WALK from the last pitch?? What a d!ck.

I spent a year doing that, changing the show to the point that I no longer recognized it. Big producer (film), hadn't done TV that I know of. How do you go from "I fukkin love this!!" to ice cold on it? And worse. After a year of working on it for FREE (and me being very professional in handling notes and communication) you email my rep to tell them you're dropping off? WHAT?? That's just wrong. CALL ME and tell me to my face and THANK ME for all the hard work.

In a different situation, years ago, maybe I went to far (Ha! fukk it) a producer was such an absolute d!ck to me that I literally told him "I don't give a fukk who you are bruh... I ever see you again, Ima beat your fukkin ass dude! I'm from a gnarly world where that's how sometimes sh!t gets handled when you do bad sh!t to people. And you better not mention a word of this convo to anyone. Now go fukk yourself."

Never dealt with anyone THAT back stabbing. He deserved it. And I think he believed me, because I was serious. Safe to say I'll never work with that dude. LOL. What the fukk ever, bye clown!

*Disclaimer. I don't go around threatening people in this business (once ever). I'm utterly professional in every regard and treat people with respect. But, I have my limits as to the type of utter scum I'll put up with. That particular dude crossed the line, big time.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post

I hear you but it doesn't have to be that way.

Example: On this latest project I emailed a certain producer of my own accord, just reached out. I suppose you could say we're acquaintances, but not super tight besties. I probably shouldn't mention his name, but let's just say he's won Oscars for best pic twice in the last 5 years (You can probably figure out who I'm talking about, but let's not use his name).

Dude is obviously HELLA busy. I email him the pitch. Mind you, WITHOUT a logline (like I've said, I try to avoid them and don't really believe in them). Just told him the title, genera, and what it was about. Also told him why I believe it should be made, the social relevance (feature). If you saw my email, most writers would say "Wtf!? No, never pitch that way!" 10 minutes later he responds with "Sure, I'd love to take a look. Please send." My manager changes his mind, believes as a feature it's too compressed, can I redo it as a TV show, create a bible. Ton of work, but fine. I email this producer back and explain. He emails me back in under 10 minutes "No problem, send when ready." I email this producer later for a reason I forget. I look at my phone, oh crap it's Saturday, spaced. Bad form, right? Producer emails me back at midnight. Finally we send materials over. Few weeks go by. At this point my manager is like "Seems like he's more responsive to you, maybe you should just handle the dealings with him." No prob. I check in "Wondering if you've had a chance to take a look." No lie, 3 minutes later "I have not."

And that's where we're currently at. But my point is. If one of the most successful producers in the world can behave with class, so can everyone else. I've lost count of how many Oscars and Globes he has amassed in the last 5 years.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
The situation I'm in is a little different, though I've experienced this as well. This producer was genuine in his enthusiasm and naively thought it would sell based on the idea alone. In hindsight, his ignorance in developing/pitching TV is staggering. Never again with someone like this.
Agreed! It's a bit like allowing someone to jump on as producer (manager) who's never produced.

My ex is attached as producer on a few projects and I'm like "WTF!? This chick has never been in a development meeting, never stepped foot onto a set, never been in post. How in the actual hell is she attached to these?" I know full well from living with this chick for 15 years that she knows literally NOTHING about how to make a movie. Deals? Sure. Movies? Zilch.