Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reps without Queries

I'm a long time lurker on this board and have always found the info here useful and insightful.

However, one thing I've noticed: there is an overemphasis put on query letters in this forum, in my opinion.

I say this because, some of my best friends are young screenwriters, all represented by managers and agents, from Verve on up to WME. And none of us -- not a one -- found our representation through a query letter. In fact, I've only written one query letter my entire career and I wrote that more as an exercise than a legitimate attempt to secure representation.

So I pose the question to you: is a query letter still an effective way to meet and secure representation?

I know that my examples (of my and my friends' experiences) are anecdotal but, I don't know, query letters seem like an antiquated way to go about things. Anybody else agree with that?

Re: Reps without Queries

It's a popular forum topic because most people want representation the quick and easy way...

Comment

Cold querying is hardly quick and easy.

FreshShabazz - there was a thread recently where a number of DDers came forward claiming they had secured representation through cold queries, so I suppose that answers your first question.

As far as I'm aware there are 5 main ways to secure representation; that is:

1. Cold querying
      2. Good competition placements
      3. Industry Referrals/Open door relationships
      4. Participating in a smaller project that generates interest
      5. Generating interest through other writing mediums (blogs, novels, articles etc.)

I'm sure there are others and welcome input from others.

A writer serious about landing representation should be working on at least two or three of these avenues. I highly doubt there are writers on this forum relying entirely on cold querying.

That said, I'd be interested to hear your personal experiences (and those of your friends) in landing representation and I'm sure others would too.

Comment

Always like to hear how writers get repped. Shabazz, do share about how your friends secured their reps.

Comment

"Industry Referrals/Open door relationships" is how I did it and the five friends I'm thinking of (3 individual writers and 1 team/duo) did it the same. None of them have expressed to me that query letters were a significant part of how they got their reps.

My journey: I worked at a non-profit that taught film/screenwriting to teens. They sent me to meet with a development exec at a major studio, to talk to him about guest-speaking to one of our classes. We chatted a bit about my personal work as a screenwriter and, without ever reading my script, he introduced me to a low-level creative exec at a small company. After a good pitch, that low-level creative exec actually read and liked my scripts, but didn't want to buy it or show it to his bosses or anything. Later that low-level creative exec passed my scripts on to a friend who had just been named director of development at an even bigger major studio. She loved what she read and actually put my name in the hat for a big job, but her bosses vetoed me due to my thin (read: non-existent) resume. I asked her to introduce me to managers and she hooked me up with a well-respected boutique. I worked with them for a year, developing a new spec, and they got me an agent at a mid-major agency.

EVERY step of that journey, I (in the nicest way possible) demanded to be introduced to more industry pros, specifically managers.

My friends had similar experiences. They formed genuine friendships/relationships with people in the industry (or called on existing ones) and asked to be introduced to other people. Based off the strength of their work, they were able to secure representation. The duo had a slightly different path because their script won a contest, but that didn't open nearly as many doors for them as what I've mentioned previously.

As saturated as this industry is and as easy as e-mail has made querying, I can't see how blind-queries could still be an effective path... but, like I said, I realize my experiences are anecdotal and there are many ways to skin a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshShabazz View Post
            "Industry Referrals/Open door relationships" is how I did it and the five friends I'm thinking of (3 individual writers and 1 team/duo) did it the same. None of them have expressed to me that query letters were a significant part of how they got their reps.

My journey: I worked at a non-profit that taught film/screenwriting to teens. They sent me to meet with a development exec at a major studio, to talk to him about guest-speaking to one of our classes. We chatted a bit about my personal work as a screenwriter and, without ever reading my script, he introduced me to a low-level creative exec at a small company. After a good pitch, that low-level creative exec actually read and liked my scripts, but didn't want to buy it or show it to his bosses or anything. Later that low-level creative exec passed my scripts on to a friend who had just been named director of development at an even bigger major studio. She loved what she read and actually put my name in the hat for a big job, but her bosses vetoed me due to my thin (read: non-existent) resume. I asked her to introduce me to managers and she hooked me up with a well-respected boutique. I worked with them for a year, developing a new spec, and they got me an agent at a mid-major agency.

EVERY step of that journey, I (in the nicest way possible) demanded to be introduced to more industry pros, specifically managers.

My friends had similar experiences. They formed genuine friendships/relationships with people in the industry (or called on existing ones) and asked to be introduced to other people. Based off the strength of their work, they were able to secure representation. The duo had a slightly different path because their script won a contest, but that didn't open nearly as many doors for them as what I've mentioned previously.

As saturated as this industry is and as easy as e-mail has made querying, I can't see how blind-queries could still be an effective path... but, like I said, I realize my experiences are anecdotal and there are many ways to skin a cat.

Well...they can be. As has been mentioned, a number of people on this board secured representation via queries.

Comment

It's all rather simple:

Relationships are much more effective, but you need to be in a position to have relationships.

Queries are much less effective, but they're more effective than doing nothing and they can be done from Podunk, Planet Earth.
              Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Query letters should probably be used only as a last resort. If there's any other avenue available, take it.

But then, I've never been able to figure out how this query business is supposed to work. I've run my loglines past industry professionals who told me they were well done and had solid hooks. Then I eagerly send out a bunch of queries, only to be greeted with a wall of silence.

Then I log onto certain screenwriting message boards that are full of members who brag about getting a 25% request rate for specs that have titles like People Who Get Horribly Killed by Horrible Zombiez. So apparently I really don't have the slightest idea how to create compelling queries.

Comment

I think everybody's journey is gonna be different. But query letters are one of the ways to land a read -- which could lead to a contact, referral, open door policy, or representation. I'm sure it gets the ball rolling for lotsa people.

Comment

They work, although it's my experience that the effectiveness (statiscally) of a cold query is 2nd to the attractiveness of your logline/concept. A great logline/concept will get you read just about anywhere. After that, it's up to your writing.

Not to sound like an ass, but I see writers sometimes complaining about industry outfits not giving them the time of day, when quite frankly, their material isn't there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                      Not to sound like an ass, but I see writers sometimes complaining about industry outfits not giving them the time of day, when quite frankly, their material isn't there yet.
                      Quoted for truth.
                      Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I'm sure if you live in LA you don't have to query.

A lot live outside LA so I'm not sure how they would build those relationships -- unless they knew someone who lived in LA.

Whatever works for people.
                        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Querying hahaha, so amateur.

Comment

What's the point of this question? It feels like a humblebrag of "I got reps through networking" rather than a legitimate "Does querying work?"

Comment

I noticed there seems to be a disproportionate number of posts (half, maybe) about querying on this sub-forum. And, as I said in a previous post, I don't really know any writers who found reps through query letters. So I guess the point of posting this question was to have a substantive discussion about query letters, their relevancy/efficacy in today's industry and possibly discuss other ways of meeting/securing reps.

Sorry if that -- uh -- came off like a humblebrag.

Comment

Working...
                              X