Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
FreshShabazz
New User

Default Re: Reps without Queries

I didn't know that being repped precluded me from discussing this topic, as I often see repped and proffesionally produced writers posting about a wide range of topics, a lot of which are specifically related to "breaking in".

I made the post because, as Iíve stated several times, I donít know any young writers who got repped through query lettersÖ though Iím glad to learn that it has worked well for many of you here.

I called the number of posts on queries disproportionate because I see that the majority of all topics in this sub-forum are directly (or closely) related to the topic of querying. And I donít really see any topics on networking, what festivals/contests reps hold in high regard, other techniques for landing a rep from outside of L.A., besides (or in addition to) cold querying, and so onÖ

I would think (and a couple people have already PMed me with this sentiment since I've posted this thread) that we would be interested in covering all topics related to meeting and securing reps.

If most of you disagree with me then we can just let this thread die, but I bet there are more than a few people who would like to discuss the topics I've proposed...
FreshShabazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshShabazz View Post

I called the number of posts on queries disproportionate because I see that the majority of all topics in this sub-forum are directly (or closely) related to the topic of querying. And I donít really see any topics on networking, what festivals/contests reps hold in high regard, other techniques for landing a rep from outside of L.A., besides (or in addition to) cold querying, and so onÖ

You must not be looking very hard...
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
FreshShabazz
New User

There's at least ten or eleven (not including this one) about querying on the front page alone.

You must not be counting very hard.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
jcgary

I think you might be putting too much stock in the excess of threads related to querying -- networking, getting a PA job, shaking someone's hand, asking them to read your script doesn't translate very well to an internet message board discussion. "Hey guys, I got a job as an assistant at a production company, how should I ask the CE if she'd read my script?" Whereas "Hey guys, this is the email I'm going to use to query, what do you think?" and "Does anyone have a current email for Cliff Roberts?" is exactly the kind of thing that an internet message board excels at.

Also: this board has a disproportionate number of members who live outside of Los Angeles, for whom querying is pretty much their only method of finding representation, outside of entering contests, which is sort of like playing roulette.

But if you're interested in starting more discussions on other methods of gaining representation, by all means! I think it's a great topic to cover -- "How did you get your rep?" Ask that question in a new thread, tell your own story of how you got your rep, I'll chime in and I'm sure others will too.
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
FreshShabazz
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
I think you might be putting too much stock in the excess of threads related to querying -- networking, getting a PA job, shaking someone's hand, asking them to read your script doesn't translate very well to an internet message board discussion. "Hey guys, I got a job as an assistant at a production company, how should I ask the CE if she'd read my script?" Whereas "Hey guys, this is the email I'm going to use to query, what do you think?" and "Does anyone have a current email for Cliff Roberts?" is exactly the kind of thing that an internet message board excels at.

Also: this board has a disproportionate number of members who live outside of Los Angeles, for whom querying is pretty much their only method of finding representation, outside of entering contests, which is sort of like playing roulette.

But if you're interested in starting more discussions on other methods of gaining representation, by all means! I think it's a great topic to cover -- "How did you get your rep?" Ask that question in a new thread, tell your own story of how you got your rep, I'll chime in and I'm sure others will too.
I see what you're saying. But I actually don't think living outside of L.A. excludes you from networking. A lot of reps prefer email and phone. Most of my story was accomplished outside of L.A. so I know first hand that it's very possible!

At some point you have to be willing to save up a few hundred bucks to travel to L.A. and meet people face-to-face but most of the leg work can be done from where ever you are.

Last edited by FreshShabazz : 02-13-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
hscope

Quote:
There's at least ten or eleven (not including this one) about querying on the front page alone.

So what? The great thing about this site is that every screenwriting topic you can think of is covered in depth (again and again) over time.

We have a solid band of professional screenwriters on board, but the vast majority of members are still trying to break in one way or another. Querying is one of those ways. So is networking. Whatever it takes.

My preferred method is to blackmail a studio head, but it takes time to dig up enough dirt...
Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
SpecMan13
Regular

A studio head... I love this site.
SpecMan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
Hamboogul

I landed my current manager off of a query. I am doing okay.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #29
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMan13 View Post
I love...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMan13 View Post
studio head...
There's a joke in there. I'm just too much of a pu*#y to say it.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
CthulhuRises

Quote:

There's an entire sub-forum relegated to contests. That's why there aren't threads about contests in the "Agents, Lawyers & Managers" section. There's also an entire sub-forum called "Business Questions." Here you will find more threads regarding Networking. Considering that this section is mostly about managers and agents (and their info/legitimacy), obviously there are more threads about querying said people. It's really not that complicated.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote