No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reps without Queries

Originally posted by FreshShabazz View Post
    I noticed there seems to be a disproportionate number of posts (half, maybe) about querying on this sub-forum. And, as I said in a previous post, I don't really know any writers who found reps through query letters. So I guess the point of posting this question was to have a substantive discussion about query letters, their relevancy/efficacy in today's industry and possibly discuss other ways of meeting/securing reps.

Sorry if that -- uh -- came off like a humblebrag.
    I think, and this is just me, but others have hinted to the same, that the discussion over query letters pops up so often around here because it's the one thing everyone can do. All you need is a computer, an e-mail address, and places to send those e-mails (or snail mail, I suppose). That's it.

Networking, building relationships, that all requires going out in the world, being somewhere that relationships can actually be formed, or figuring your way into the business in some other fashion. I get both sides, as I've spent a good amount of time in LA (7+ years) but recently I can't afford to live there, so I see the value of living there. Now, broke and unemployed, I can't be there, and it's damn near impossible to get anyone in LA to give half a **** about what you're doing if you aren't in their face. I'm co-producing a film that has been in post for over a year now, and when I first moved away, I got constant updates. Now, I can barely get them on the phone. The movie is progressing fine, it's just the mental approach they have. "Well, you aren't here, you can't do anything but hear our progress, so we'll call you when we have some." And that devolves into "Oh, we forgot to tell you that last month? Yeah, that happened."

So I'm back to square one, despite my relationships in LA. Which I can easily resume when I'm back there, but it's difficult to get anyone to give a **** unless they will potentially profit from something you can directly put in front of them. Hence, query letters have gotten me further along than any interaction with any of the producers I know out there. So it's the one thing I can do while stuck in Alabama that doesn't require any money, or as you pointed out, any real effort beyond the physical acts of gathering information and clicking send a bunch of times.

Comment

I live in Los Angeles and have worked here for 14 years and there are still places I don't have ins with -- so when I went looking for a new manager a couple weeks ago, there were some places I got referrals into, and some I cold-queried because I liked them and was interested in them but didn't have a connection to them. Referrals got me into three places, but cold querying got me in to four more. I'd much rather have seven reads than three, and here's hoping at least a couple of those reads translate into offers. It's just another tool in the tool belt, but you'd be a sucker not to take advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Usernamism View Post
        Querying hahaha, so amateur.
        Whatever, man. I don't live in LA, and queries got me top representation. Same is true for a number of people here. But good to know you're more professional than that, what with your thoughtful, well-reasoned post and all.

Comment

Lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
            What's the point of this question? It feels like a humblebrag of "I got reps through networking" rather than a legitimate "Does querying work?"
            I had the same reaction. FS: If you're repped, great. So what's to discuss? Since you've noticed that there's a "disproportionate number" of posts in this forum about querying (query: on what basis do we decide what number of posts on a particular topic is "disproportionate"?) then surely you've also noticed that many people wrote that querying worked for them (including me). I guess you don't know any of us personally; but, if your question is, "Do queries work?" the answer is, "Yes."

Comment

I didn't know that being repped precluded me from discussing this topic, as I often see repped and proffesionally produced writers posting about a wide range of topics, a lot of which are specifically related to "breaking in".

I made the post because, as I've stated several times, I don't know any young writers who got repped through query letters... though I'm glad to learn that it has worked well for many of you here.

I called the number of posts on queries disproportionate because I see that the majority of all topics in this sub-forum are directly (or closely) related to the topic of querying. And I don't really see any topics on networking, what festivals/contests reps hold in high regard, other techniques for landing a rep from outside of L.A., besides (or in addition to) cold querying, and so on...

I would think (and a couple people have already PMed me with this sentiment since I've posted this thread) that we would be interested in covering all topics related to meeting and securing reps.

If most of you disagree with me then we can just let this thread die, but I bet there are more than a few people who would like to discuss the topics I've proposed...

Comment

I called the number of posts on queries disproportionate because I see that the majority of all topics in this sub-forum are directly (or closely) related to the topic of querying. And I don't really see any topics on networking, what festivals/contests reps hold in high regard, other techniques for landing a rep from outside of L.A., besides (or in addition to) cold querying, and so on...

You must not be looking very hard...

Comment

There's at least ten or eleven (not including this one) about querying on the front page alone.

You must not be counting very hard.

Comment

I think you might be putting too much stock in the excess of threads related to querying -- networking, getting a PA job, shaking someone's hand, asking them to read your script doesn't translate very well to an internet message board discussion. "Hey guys, I got a job as an assistant at a production company, how should I ask the CE if she'd read my script?" Whereas "Hey guys, this is the email I'm going to use to query, what do you think?" and "Does anyone have a current email for Cliff Roberts?" is exactly the kind of thing that an internet message board excels at.

Also: this board has a disproportionate number of members who live outside of Los Angeles, for whom querying is pretty much their only method of finding representation, outside of entering contests, which is sort of like playing roulette.

But if you're interested in starting more discussions on other methods of gaining representation, by all means! I think it's a great topic to cover -- "How did you get your rep?" Ask that question in a new thread, tell your own story of how you got your rep, I'll chime in and I'm sure others will too.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                      I think you might be putting too much stock in the excess of threads related to querying -- networking, getting a PA job, shaking someone's hand, asking them to read your script doesn't translate very well to an internet message board discussion. "Hey guys, I got a job as an assistant at a production company, how should I ask the CE if she'd read my script?" Whereas "Hey guys, this is the email I'm going to use to query, what do you think?" and "Does anyone have a current email for Cliff Roberts?" is exactly the kind of thing that an internet message board excels at.

Also: this board has a disproportionate number of members who live outside of Los Angeles, for whom querying is pretty much their only method of finding representation, outside of entering contests, which is sort of like playing roulette.

But if you're interested in starting more discussions on other methods of gaining representation, by all means! I think it's a great topic to cover -- "How did you get your rep?" Ask that question in a new thread, tell your own story of how you got your rep, I'll chime in and I'm sure others will too.
                      I see what you're saying. But I actually don't think living outside of L.A. excludes you from networking. A lot of reps prefer email and phone. Most of my story was accomplished outside of L.A. so I know first hand that it's very possible!

At some point you have to be willing to save up a few hundred bucks to travel to L.A. and meet people face-to-face but most of the leg work can be done from where ever you are.
                      Last edited by FreshShabazz; 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

There's at least ten or eleven (not including this one) about querying on the front page alone.

So what? The great thing about this site is that every screenwriting topic you can think of is covered in depth (again and again) over time.

We have a solid band of professional screenwriters on board, but the vast majority of members are still trying to break in one way or another. Querying is one of those ways. So is networking. Whatever it takes.

My preferred method is to blackmail a studio head, but it takes time to dig up enough dirt...
                        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

A studio head... I love this site.

Comment

I landed my current manager off of a query. I am doing okay.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecMan13 View Post
                              I love...
                              Originally posted by SpecMan13 View Post
                              studio head...
                              There's a joke in there. I'm just too much of a pu*#y to say it.

Comment

There's an entire sub-forum relegated to contests. That's why there aren't threads about contests in the "Agents, Lawyers & Managers" section. There's also an entire sub-forum called "Business Questions." Here you will find more threads regarding Networking. Considering that this section is mostly about managers and agents (and their info/legitimacy), obviously there are more threads about querying said people. It's really not that complicated.

Comment

Working...
                                X