Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when...

...you've written something a little offbeat that doesn't get any heat from cold queries but would be right in a specific director's wheelhouse?

Example: you write a script about the obscure sport of footvolley. (I haven't done this --feel free to cannibalize the idea.) Petitioning production companies or managers to read a script about footvolley isn't working so well, either because it's too esoteric or because they simply don't read unsolicited emails.

But as it happens, Alexander Payne and McG are huge fans of footvolley. They play every weekend. They grew up on it. They may "get" it in a way another set of eyes wouldn't. Querying their prodcos. hasn't netted any results.

Is there a next step? Do any agents/managers accommodate unrepped writers on a trial basis to see if a specific filmmaker would bite?

Re: What happens when...

I don't know, man. Director's production companies are always looking for projects that are in their director's wheelhouse. Chances are if their production company's readers don't like it for their director, then it's probably not right for that director. The people who read scripts for directors make it their business to their know their bosses' hobbies, tastes in food, tastes in music and so on...

If people aren't responding to your query it's probably because they don't like the idea. There's really no such thing as too specific/esoteric. Remember, this was one of the most popular scripts of the last 5 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_(2011_film)

Reps will sign you for one of two reasons, in my estimation: you have a script they think they can sell quickly and/or you display the potential they think they can make money off of for some time to come. I really doubt any manager or agent will work with you just to make a play for one director. I think they want their clients to have broader appeal than that.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshShabazz View Post
      If people aren't responding to your query it's probably because they don't like the idea. There's really no such thing as too specific/esoteric. Remember, this was one of the most popular scripts of the last 5 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_(2011_film)
      Good point...but I'm still operating under the semi-delusion the query may not be getting read at all. (Was recently told that one of the big boutique management companies no longer looks at cold email queries.) Just seems as likely the recipient will gloss over/delete it as they would open it and consider.

Comment

Go directly to the director's production company.

And BUTTER was a Nicholl winner, I think. That's how the script got heat... and, it's not really about butter carving at all.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

And BUTTER was a Nicholl winner, I think. That's how the script got heat... and, it's not really about butter carving at all.

- Bill
          Uh, what's your point? It was a nicholl winner and on the black list, doesn't change the fact that an esoteric/specific script about butter carving became an extremely popular spec.

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say it's not really about butter carving... Sure it is. Just because it has themes that elevate it beyond it's reductive description, it's still an offbeat script that covers an obscure topic. You think, for one second, that log-line of that script doesn't include a prominent mention of butter carving?

Comment

I think Bill's point was that the writer wasn't cold querying prodcos. He won a Nicholl Fellowship. The reps and prodcos came to him.

And it really is about a lot more than butter carving. The butter aspect is just a front to explore the drama of a failing marriage and an adopted black child trying to find her way in a white world.

But, yeah, of course the logline mentions butter carving. So? It should also mention an adopted black girl and a crazy competitive wife of the former butter carving contest champ who go head-to-head for the title.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

- Bill
              Trying. One actually doesn't have a prodco. listed anywhere, just a shingle at a studio. Tried the other, but it's again an issue of whether the idea is getting read and dismissed, or not read at all.

I've no idea whether "Butter" would've gotten anywhere if not for the Nicholl. I'm also curious whether cold querying to production companies has ever netted a spec sale. Seems like a very long shot in the dark.

Comment

Working...
              X