X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Director attached to a script...

Hi, all.

Newbie here.

I just had a script make it to the semifinals in this year's Nicholl and it got a fair amount of interest. A director loved the script and has asked to be attached. My question is, is that a liability or an asset? He's got an amazing resume and I love his work, which is world-class, but he's not an A-list director (yet). Do I risk turning off any financing/purchase offers because of attached talent?

I think I'm going to love this forum!

Cheers!

-Charles

Re: Director attached to a script...

Originally posted by Adeimantus View Post
    Hi, all.

Newbie here.

I just had a script make it to the semifinals in this year's Nicholl and it got a fair amount of interest. A director loved the script and has asked to be attached. My question is, is that a liability or an asset? He's got an amazing resume and I love his work, which is world-class, but he's not an A-list director (yet). Do I risk turning off any financing/purchase offers because of attached talent?

I think I'm going to love this forum!

Cheers!

-Charles
    Does he want you to just attach him because he likes the script or does he want to pay you to option your script and try to get financing? BIG difference. In one case he's mostly dead weight. In the other, he's financially involved in making it happen. A good thing.

Comment

Hi, EdFury.

Thanks for the reply. It appears he just wants to be attached because he loves the script. I think you're right; I'll ask if he has a plan to help get financing and, if so, how and with whom. If not, I'll thank him for his interest and politely defer. It is nice to know that a talented director loves the story, which bodes well for the project.

-C

Comment

Hi, all.

Newbie here.

The reality of letting someone like this attach themselves is that it's a question of access to their resources.

Can he help you get the film made?

I know plenty of people who have made "If you can get it set up, you can attach yourself," deals of various levels of formality. But if I were you, I wouldn't do anything like that until you got your rep situation sorted out. Chances are you'll get some offers out of the Nicholl semis, so chase those down first, and then work with your new rep to see if working with this director is in your best interest.

And congrats!

Comment

What Ed said.
          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Not what ed said. Producers get financing. Directors and actors don't. Without a name it's tough to tell if he helps or hurts. Asking a director for option money would make you look clueless.

Comment

Do you have a manager/agent? They'd probably be a big help when it comes to determining the value of attachments.
              Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Does he want to develop it further, or does he love it as-is? If it's development, does he have a clear vision for what he changes he wants? Do you agree with his vision?
                Does he intend for this to be his next project, or is he just padding his slate?
                Is he a hot, young commodity? Or is he over-the-hill? Or is he a no-name?
                What caliber of talent has he worked with?
                Is he willing to set up a meeting between you, him, and his agent to discuss the plan of attack for this project?
                Is he going to beat the pavement to set this up?

Having a director on board can open a LOT of doors. Actors, studios, and department heads get excited about working with certain directors. The right director can be a powerful ally in shepherding your script through the production process. He might have the relationships that can draw in talent, as so many actors and actresses are choosing their roles by weighing more heavily in favor of the director than the actual script.

In essence, the right director can move the needle.

But, as others have cautioned, an attachment for the sake of an attachment can do more harm than good.

You need to figure out his credibility in the industry and his passion for this particular project.

Comment

Well, first: Congratulations on your success! Good luck no matter what you do.

I think it’d be difficult to give you a good answer without a bit more information. Could you answer these questions?

How much time has passed since the competition?
                  Is the director the only one interested?
                  Is this a low budget film?
                  Is the budget of your project close to the budget of this director’s films?
                  Does this director have a regular producing partner?
                  Does he know any potential financers he’d be willing to give the script to for a read?
                  Do you have a manager?
                  Is this director tied to a reasonably powerful agency?
                  Do you have other scripts that could be shipped around while this one is being developed?

I don’t see why you need to box yourself in either way. I once had a pilot where I let the director run off to find financing while I went about pitching it as normal. If I felt it would help the pitch, I’d mention a director was interested. In that situation, I'd known the director for a while, though.

Then again, we also both utterly failed at getting the project off the ground and I went back to doing coverage, so take that for what it’s worth.
                  Last edited by TitanCreed; 10-12-2014, 03:51 PM.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Wow, great responses and good questions.

First, thanks for the congratulations. I actually had two scripts make it to the semis of the Nicholls this year, but one was just disqualified (I read the fine print of the rules, but not the fine fine print). A producer hired me to write a biopic on an historical character and I did, all original research and writing on my part, BUT the original IDEA to write a biopic on this particular person was the producer's. Not allowed: disqualified. I didn't know...

Anyways, I have no rep yet. One approached me and was interested until he discovered I don't live in L.A., and have no intention of moving there. Big strike against me. Five others asked to read my work, but I haven't heard back from them. It's been about two weeks since I sent my scripts to them. If they were interested, is two weeks long enough for them to make a decision?

The director is definitely an up-and-coming "hot young commodity," but only in the Spanish-speaking world. He moved to L.A. recently and is working on some projects in English.

As for all the other questions, I don't have the answers but will definitely seek them out. After all, I didn't know what questions to ask (until now).

Cheers!
                    Last edited by Adeimantus; 10-12-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

It's been about two weeks since I sent my scripts to them. If they were interested, is two weeks long enough for them to make a decision?
                      Others might disagree, but in my experience, two weeks is nothing. I keep a document of all my script requests and contacts with various companies. Here's a sample:

Project Pitched / Requested / Sent: 03/17/14
                      Follow-Up from Me: 05/23/14
                      Positive Response / Request for Another Script: 06/05/14

It depends on the company, though. This was a large management company (that is somewhat infamous for taking a long time to respond).

I'd find an excuse to follow up after a month, maybe by going out and getting a positive review or two on The Black List or something. That way you're just phrasing it as, "Hey, I'm letting you know about this increased buzz," rather than "Hey, any ETA on that script?"
                      Last edited by TitanCreed; 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Congrats, Adeimantus!

As others have mentioned, I think various factors need to be considered in allowing this director to attach to your script or not:

1) Is he/she the perfect director for it? That is, is it their type of movie and do their previous credits support that?

2) Do they have agents at one of the big LA agencies who could help them search for talent and/or a producer?

3) What is their access to financing?

For me, those would be the main three. I've had directors with major credits attached to my scripts before -- sometimes they do nothing, sometimes they're active about pushing it. All comes down to the particular project/director/where you are in your career.

Good luck.

Comment

Five others asked to read my work, but I haven't heard back from them. It's been about two weeks since I sent my scripts to them. If they were interested, is two weeks long enough for them to make a decision?
                          Usually not enough time. Give them another week or two then follow up and see what that yields.
                          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
                            Not what ed said. Producers get financing. Directors and actors don't. Without a name it's tough to tell if he helps or hurts. Asking a director for option money would make you look clueless.
                            Damn. I guess the director who optioned my script then got producers involved and got financing so we go into production in February was a mistake. My bad.

And I didn't say ask for option money, I asked if the director offered to option. But then I forgot, my crappy TV film background renders anything I say moot.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                              Damn. I guess the director who optioned my script then got producers involved and got financing so we go into production in February was a mistake. My bad.

And I didn't say ask for option money, I asked if the director offered to option. But then I forgot, my crappy TV film background renders anything I say moot.
                              Part of what makes Directors valuable is their relationships with bankable talent and good casting directors so it's not unreasonable to ask Directors who they can bring to a project. To a lesser degree that may be true of financing sources in the independent world, so I agree with Ed.

Comment

Working...
                              X