Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Producers

I have nothing against anyone making money. I want to make money. I want Hollywood (and CA) to make money.

Making money is the goal of (any) business.

I am just saying that, it is my beleif that if a Producer is not able to create a creative space in which "artists" can create art, the movie quality and market potential suffers, and sometimes, money making potential is not reached, because of it.
    Postmodernism?

http://www.juliantyler.com

Comment

I wish PHARAOH would just sell, already.
      2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucha Scribre View Post
        I wish PHARAOH would just sell, already.
        + 1
        Postmodernism?

Comment

Originally posted by PoMoTy View Post
          I am just saying that, it is my beleif that if a Producer is not able to create a creative space in which "artists" can create art, the movie quality and market potential suffers, and sometimes, money making potential is not reached, because of it.
          Problem with the first half of that statement is that I believe screenwriting is first and foremost craft, not art. There is artistry to the craftsmenship, certainly, but don't mistake one for the other. If you can't write because the producer isn't creating a "space" for you to do it in... well, guess what.

And by extention, 99% of movies aren't art, aren't meant to be art, and shouldn't be mistaken for art.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
            Problem with the first half of that statement is that I believe screenwriting is first and foremost craft, not art. There is artistry to the craftsmenship, certainly, but don't mistake one for the other. If you can't write because the producer isn't creating a "space" for you to do it in... well, guess what.
            You are confusing the writing process with the production process. The discussion regarding producers comes long after the script is sold.

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
            And by extention, 99% of movies aren't art, aren't meant to be art, and shouldn't be mistaken for art.
            I know A LOT of people who would disagree with you on this. I am among them.
            Postmodernism?

Comment

Originally posted by PoMoTy View Post
              There are too many Producers in Hollywood who look at a film and say:

"What can this film do for me?" >> How can I use it to feather my nest as much as possible?

There need to be more Producers who say:

"What can I do for this film?" >> How can I make it the best it can be? Do I have a vision for this film? Is my heart in it?

This is one/a reason for many high profile 'bombs / flops'. Even the 'Money Producers' have an important role in shaping the creative outcome -- the quality of the Art -- created during the filming process. When they don't, it shows.

You know?
              This is really amusing. You're saying that, in a collaborative form (movies) participants may have competing interests which impact the final product?

Really? This is a news flash for you?

You could just easily say the same thing about actors or...maybe even some writers actually don't have the cojones to stand behind their vision and take any idiotic note because of the prospect of something happening down the road.

Comment

I get the feeling that producers look on 'art' in the same way publishers look at literature (or, as I call it, unpopular fiction): limited markets.

I doubt any producer sets out to make a crap film. Most of them are human beings and therefore seek acclaim as well as profit.

Movies certainly are an art form, but like all other forms of art they are often flawed. Eye of the beholder and all that.
                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Jeff,

Don't you think the money corrupts a lot of people? I do. I think people like Lucas and Speilberg suffer from being aware of all the ancillary money/economics that revolve around and through movies.

I think at some point anyone, writer, director, actor, producer can get to a place where they're editing themselves because they're worried about maximim B.O./toy sales or whatever.

No one starts off that way but I believe a lot of people end up there.

Comment

I think people think about it. I think about it. The guy who's making Saw 7 thinks about it. But that doesn't mean they're not trying to make the best version of what they're setting out to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      I think people think about it. I think about it. The guy who's making Saw 7 thinks about it. But that doesn't mean they're not trying to make the best version of what they're setting out to do.
                      I would argue that in some instances, particularly for people way up the food chain (like Speilberg and Lucas), the commerce inherently collides with quality.

You can see the conscious play for toys in Return of the Jedi (and subsequent Star Wars's). I'm sleepy and don't feel like finishing this post.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                        You can see the conscious play for toys in Return of the Jedi (and subsequent Star Wars's). I'm sleepy and don't feel like finishing this post.

In the case of Jar Jar Binks, I think it was an unconscious idea that everybody would want to own their own... gunga

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
                          In the case of Jar Jar Binks, I think it was an unconscious idea that everybody would want to own their own... gunga
                          mee-sa thinksa you's right.

Comment

Maybe. I don't know. I've worked on movies that are a lot lower down the food chain than those, where things like product placement would make a material difference. And the studio always says "if there's a way to do this without screwing up the movie, let's do it."

A bad movie doesn't sell as many toys (or tickets or DVDs) as a good movie, IMO.

Comment

I'll buy the idea that most producers make - or try to make - movies they believe in. The problem is that those who don't also come to believe in what they do - no matter how crappy it is.

Comment

1. Steal underpants
                                2. ?
                                3. Profit

?

Comment

Working...
                                X