X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Female Characters

Originally posted by lips
    It's the strangest one I've ever known.

Wait...did we just have sex? and does this mean you're right?
    Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by sarajb View Post

Wait...did we just have sex? and does this mean you're right?
      It means I just sparked a bowl.

Comment

So, I'm still right, then. Whew.
        Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

So, I'm still right, then. Whew.
          Yours was a hard argument to refute. We all got out reality, I guess - regardless of reality at large.

Even I know every argument (and hardly any of them) is winnable.

Comment

Maybe in the end the world really is whatever we say it is. Perspective is king. I might as well choose one that enhances my life and opens more doors than your reality would for me.

Comment

Survival of the fittest. And that's a fact.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...s.genderissues
              Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

/shivers with delight

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                  Survival of the fittest. And that's a fact.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...s.genderissues
                  Hey, I never argue with good science.

And... I don't take offense to the notion that my gender is ultimately disposable. Agreed. Besides - our current model is only one of a number of ways of reproduction - but the more complex the organism, the more reasons the code finds to procreate in such a crude manner.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                    /shivers with delight
                    I figured you'd like it.

Comment

This is funny.

What's Going on With Jodie Foster?

by Melissa Silverstein on October 21, 2010
                      in Women Directors

http://womenandhollywood.com/wp-cont...le-300x150.jpg Credit: Jason Merritt / Getty Images for Elle

Earlier this week Jodie Foster was honored at the 17th annual (there have been 17 of these, really?) Elle Magazine Women in Hollywood celebration and she used the evening to say that Mel Gibson was "the most loved man in the film business.-

Seriously?

You use an event that raises awareness about women's contributions in Hollywood to again stand up for a man who has accusation of domestic violence hanging over his head. What's up with that?

Is that really the way to make the push for the release of The Beaver? It's almost November and I haven't seen one thing that indicates that The Beaver will hit the screens this year so why bother?

She also called the event quaint because there are so many women in power in Hollywood today and then in the next breath talked about the lack of opportunities for women directors. And she made some comments about Kristen Stewart who she starred with in Panic Room saying she never thought she would have a longevity as an actress because she didn't have the right personality.

It's not that we see Jodie much in the press but with what she's been saying lately I am kind of wishing she would go back to being invisible.

Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

The majority of men you've met?
                        Good question. It certainly felt like the majority, but I have no science to back that up. (I'm just pre-empting Lips's argument here.)

Truthfully, I've always had a lot of male company and always believed they were listening/interested in what I had to say. The vast majority have been friends, colleagues, teachers, bosses, whatever - entirely platonic. (I learnt early on how to ruin a perfectly good friendship and made sure I never did that again.)

But so many of them tried it on at some point, despite years of friendship, so in more recent years it's made me rethink them all, to some extent. I mean, clearly they weren't listening.

I also think as men get older, this becomes less of an issue. Not a non-issue - I've been, well, "not listened to" by older men too. Just fewer. And with less frequency.

I think it's partly biological but mostly cultural. Or it starts off mostly biological but then becomes mostly cultural, because long after these men have served their biological purpose, they're still confusing listening with ogling. They're just more discreet. And take longer to breach the line.
                        sigpic

Website
                        Tweets
                        Book

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                          The thing is -- I know a lot of great guys who "get it." I've been living with one going on 10 years.

I've also noticed men I know several years - men with daughters - become more sensitized to these issues as their daughters grow beyond toddler.

Nothing like realizing that little girl you loved and raised is going to one day go out into a world that may at times treat her like ... well, you know.

And I'm in no way disgusted with men -- it is what it is -- I just call it as I see it. I like men - they amuse me, their solipsizing antics -- great comedy relief.
                          Excellent points, Sc. I've noticed the same thing.

I too enjoy the company of men - bless them. But I'm way more selective and careful about which men now. Fathers of daughters - sorry, active/engaged fathers of daughters (not the kind who barely know their kids) - make for way more complex and fascinating conversationalists, in my mind. I've seen it online here too - even on DD. The fathers of daughters make excellent feminists.

It's kind of a shame that so often you almost have to live it - vicariously, through the eyes of your kids - to be open to this whole other world.

You know the other kind of man who consistently impresses me with his connectedness with and interest in women? Men raised by single mothers and a house full of sisters.

Here's my theory - men who grow up surrounded by women/girls who have NO POTENTIAL for sexual exchange of any kind - and out of no choice of their own - understand women better than anyone else because they have to - or had to.

Or, if they haven't grown up that way, they get a second shot by raising daughters, thus creating a concentrated effect because they care more about their daughters - want to understand them more than any other girl/woman - because raising a kid properly actually trumps their previous desire to get laid, even in their formative years. (That is the biological reason for spreading their seed - to make kids.)

I wish I'd put this more eloquently. But I think somewhere in that is something worth exploring.
                          Last edited by nic.h; 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM.
                          sigpic

Website
                          Tweets
                          Book

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8
                            a misunderstanding on my part, i'm afraid. i read your post--

"If we all keep talking about each other and ourselves in terms of men are this way and women are that way nothing will ever change."

--as meaning that we shouldn't talk about men in terms of being men, and women in terms of being women but more in general to facilitate change. but rereading this in context with the other posts, i see now where you were going with it. oops.
                            I agree. Even though I was doing exactly this...

It's tricky isn't it? I think the challenge is to get past the fact that most working screenwriters today are men. And most working directors today are men. And most women characters in film today are, well, unsatisfactory - to a large number of women, at any rate.

I don't think this is an accident, and I guess I've been trying to work out why. For a good chunk of my life, I realise, this has been something I've thought about - as a writer and as a woman.

But maybe this isn't the point. Maybe we need to focus more on the process.

I think change lies in the film makers. Changing men is unlikely at this point, and arguably pointless. It might even be counter-productive. We have to change who makes the films - who writes them and who funds them.

I think therein lies the answer. I don't know. But I think.
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

When I was in college, I played pool with this dude who used to wear white t-shirts with a cigarette pack tucked in his rolled-up shirtsleeve. Basically, in his mind, he was a macho, badass stud (and somewhat of a throwback). One day he told us that if he ever lost to a woman -- any woman -- he'd never play the game again. That there was no excuse to lose to a woman. For any of us.

But here's the thing -- he wasn't that good. He was okay but not really able to compete with anyone beyond maybe a low-intermediate level. So we started needling him: "What if the player were Jeanette Lee? Or Loree Jon Jones?"

"I don't care who it is," he replied. "If anyone in this room loses to a woman, he's an embarrassment to all of us."

"Um," a sensible friend of mine said, "I'm perfectly willing to admit that either of those two women would kick my ass any day of the week."

"Then you suck," the guy said, and went to take his shot. (I don't remember if he made it or not. Probably not.)

The silliest part? My sensible friend was WAY better than this dude.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                                As far as the shoe on the other foot - a woman will always be able to find a man to **** her, but a good looking one with all the qualities she desires (or even just a good looking one) - she needs to have her **** together, physically.

Sad disparity, but true.
                                Interesting.

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                                As a woman ( ), I'm sure you've seen WHEN HARRY MET SALLY. Like the man said - men and women can never truly be friends. The film proved out this thesis by having Harry and Sally get together - though I believe a man and woman can be friends who fuck.
                                Do you really believe this?

Comment

Working...
                                X