Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Imagine Impact X Netflix

If the selection is based on merit the best way to determine that is blind reading every screenplay. They can't do that, so they rely on filtering tactics to narrow the selection down to a more manageable number. It's their sandbox, their rules.

With demographic information they could easily separate white males into one group and everyone else into smaller groups of which to make selections from those groups based on percentages they may be targeting.

They can make certain assumptions as to gender and ethnicity to narrow the scope simply by filtering surnames and first names along with other key factors in how certain application questions are answered.

With this learning software they've used in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if certain "qualifying" information gets flagged for attention and given an attribute ranking of some sort so they can take a closer look at "ideal" candidates.

VIDEO REQUIREMENT:
    This is totally unnecessary for this round more than any other, because their guidelines/contract SPECIFICALLY STATE NO WRITERS will be allowed into the Netflix submission pitch meeting. The Imagine Impact team are giving the presentation to Netflix, not the writer, which was not the case in previous sessions.

So if you have a great idea why do they require the pitch video if the writer isn't even allowed in the room during the pitch? It's a non-factor, right?

It doesn't make sense to require it UNLESS they're using it in some way to select or dismiss candidates.

Not to mention, Imagine Impact also states that once Netflix makes their selection they (Imagine Impact's) connection is basically severed between Imagine Impact and any writers, both selected and not selected, if I'm reading their contract correctly. Which means there are no further opportunities for the writer with Imagine Impact and that project. They probably have an exclusivity clause with Netflix where for a period of time, they cannot show anyone else the scripts they sourced directly for Netflix. I mean, if I was Netflix that's part of the deal I'd negotiate..

And if they REALLY NEEDED the video, they could wait until they have the top 100 candidates selected then have each of those candidates submit their video AFTER they've been selected.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, here.

Someone also mentioned here https://twitter.com/search?q=netflix...rc=typed_query that the are a lot of hurdles the writer has to jump, including the idea that they aren't looking for non-repped writers; an early question on their application.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Having your project pitched to Netflix by a HUGE prodco like Imagine is not a small thing. It's a very large thing.

The application, being free, means anyone can apply. They've got to filter somehow, so it only bears to reason that they would filter according to what they're looking for --

1) people that can write (a factor in the "Are you repped" question?)

2) People that might have an interesting perspective or view, and thus might produce something new and shiny (a factor in the video? So they know they aren't exclusively picking a bunch of white/male 20-somethings?)

I don't see how you can fault them for this. Nothing in life is fair. This probably isn't either. But at least they're trying to get stuff out there.

(Not liking the financial terms is another, separate, issue.)

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        It also sounds like when you deliver the two drafts, Imagine Impact parts ways with you and at this point Netflix owns your material and the is still no guarantee that they will develop it further, or at all, AND they'll own it.
        Imagine Impact terms under “Miscellaneous”:

“You acknowledge and agree that if your submitted material is selected by Impact and presented to Netflix for consideration, and Netflix in its sole discretion decides to move forward with your material to be developed into a draft feature-length motion picture script, you shall enter into a separate agreement with Netflix for your writing services.”

This doesn’t mean Netflix is obligated to hire you on as the writer, though.

I found the stipulation that you cannot be attached in any other way other than writing...
        That’s about your material being unencumbered by any other parties (producers, managers, directors, et cetera), not that you can’t become the project’s director (good luck with that, though, and why would anyone?).
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-29-2020, 07:27 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

If the selection is based on merit the best way to determine that is blind reading every screenplay. They can't do that, so they rely on filtering tactics to narrow the selection down to a more manageable number. It's their sandbox, their rules.

With demographic information they could easily separate white males into one group and everyone else into smaller groups of which to make selections from those groups based on percentages they may be targeting.

They can make certain assumptions as to gender and ethnicity to narrow the scope simply by filtering surnames and first names along with other key factors in how certain application questions are answered.

With this learning software they've used in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if certain "qualifying" information gets flagged for attention and given an attribute ranking of some sort so they can take a closer look at "ideal" candidates.

VIDEO REQUIREMENT:
          This is totally unnecessary for this round more than any other, because their guidelines/contract SPECIFICALLY STATE NO WRITERS will be allowed into the Netflix submission pitch meeting. The Imagine Impact team are giving the presentation to Netflix, not the writer, which was not the case in previous sessions.

So if you have a great idea why do they require the pitch video if the writer isn't even allowed in the room during the pitch? It's a non-factor, right?

It doesn't make sense to require it UNLESS they're using it in some way to select or dismiss candidates.

Not to mention, Imagine Impact also states that once Netflix makes their selection they (Imagine Impact's) connection is basically severed between Imagine Impact and any writers, both selected and not selected, if I'm reading their contract correctly. Which means there are no further opportunities for the writer with Imagine Impact and that project. They probably have an exclusivity clause with Netflix where for a period of time, they cannot show anyone else the scripts they sourced directly for Netflix. I mean, if I was Netflix that's part of the deal I'd negotiate..

And if they REALLY NEEDED the video, they could wait until they have the top 100 candidates selected then have each of those candidates submit their video AFTER they've been selected.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, here.

Someone also mentioned here https://twitter.com/search?q=netflix...rc=typed_query that the are a lot of hurdles the writer has to jump, including the idea that they aren't looking for non-repped writers; an early question on their application.
          Are you going to submit? I can't submit to this one because I don't have a script in that genre. But when they do comedy, I might do it.

Comment

So, if you win, do you have a relationship with Imagine and Netflix? The appeal of the previous Imagine Impact was that they mentored you, you had a chance to network with their shapers and producers who wanted to affiliate with Imagine, with Imagine itself, and possibly if bought by a production company with that production company. I know there was some mention of severing the connection in one of the comments above, but still not too clear on this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              So, if you win, do you have a relationship with Imagine and Netflix? The appeal of the previous Imagine Impact was that they mentored you, you had a chance to network with their shapers and producers who wanted to affiliate with Imagine, with Imagine itself, and possibly if bought by a production company with that production company. I know there was some mention of severing the connection in one of the comments above, but still not too clear on this point.
              From Imagine Impact Program Guidelines (paragraph separations mine):

“For each genre, Impact will host online open submissions through which writers of all levels from around the world can apply with a well-thought out idea and writing sample.

“Applications will be vetted via Impact’s review process before a subset of applicants are interviewed by Impact. From there, a group of finalists selected by Impact will have their proposed project presented to Netflix by the Impact team.

“If Netflix chooses to develop one or more projects, the writer of the selected projects will then sign a writing services agreement with Netflix and be paid the then-current minimum scale set forth in the Writers Guild of America Basic Agreement.

“Once signed, the writer will be paired by Impact with a Shaper (an experienced industry professional) who will plan to meet with the writer twice weekly to offer non-writing consulting services, and the writer will write and deliver a first draft to Netflix in 10 weeks or less in accordance with the signed writing agreement.”

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                From Imagine Impact Program Guidelines (paragraph separations mine):

"For each genre, Impact will host online open submissions through which writers of all levels from around the world can apply with a well-thought out idea and writing sample.

"Applications will be vetted via Impact's review process before a subset of applicants are interviewed by Impact. From there, a group of finalists selected by Impact will have their proposed project presented to Netflix by the Impact team.

"If Netflix chooses to develop one or more projects, the writer of the selected projects will then sign a writing services agreement with Netflix and be paid the then-current minimum scale set forth in the Writers Guild of America Basic Agreement.

"Once signed, the writer will be paired by Impact with a Shaper (an experienced industry professional) who will plan to meet with the writer twice weekly to offer non-writing consulting services, and the writer will write and deliver a first draft to Netflix in 10 weeks or less in accordance with the signed writing agreement.-

Okay, well, at least the writer will have some face time with the shaper. Not sure how involved Imagine or Netflix is in the process from those paragraphs.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                  Are you going to submit? I can't submit to this one because I don't have a script in that genre. But when they do comedy, I might do it.
                  Not this time. The property is worth too much to me personally. I'd like it to be my first novel.

I will most likely submit a thriller, when that comes up.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Okay, well, at least the writer will have some face time with the shaper. Not sure how involved Imagine or Netflix is in the process from those paragraphs.
                    The "face time" you have is in a NON-WRITING capacity-- not sure what that means, but it is CLEARLY stated that way. There are no panel series' offered. You have under 10 weeks to complete the draft.
                    It's not the same experience where you're able to build a network of writers and all the shapers and executives from the panels, so that's something to consider.

Netflix is not involved until AFTER the submissions are selected. There is no interaction with Netflix until and unless you are selected.

It says that you'll be part of the Imagine Impact accelerator program, but it doesn't provide transparency to what exactly that entails.Once you turn in the projects to Netflix, Imagine Impact is out of the picture. You have no further contact with them. It's possible that once you turn in your drafts your contact with Netflix could be done.

The FAQ states that if Netflix selects your project they own it. A clear declarative statement. That's why I felt there was no room to negotiate a purchase price. I could be wrong, but it seems clear.

Comment

So to recap overall -- almost no one in this thread is submitting, but everyone is worried about rules to the contest they aren't entering.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        So to recap overall -- almost no one in this thread is submitting, but everyone is worried about rules to the contest they aren't entering.
                        Well, if nothing else, we are logical.

Comment

Filling out the form minus the project details, logline, and breakdown, but on the fence about entering. Searching for what happens to the submitted IP if not selected.

Comment

This time. There are more open submissions to come.

Comment

The "face time" you have is in a NON-WRITING capacity-- not sure what that means, but it is CLEARLY stated that way. There are no panel series' offered. You have under 10 weeks to complete the draft.
                              It's not the same experience where you're able to build a network of writers and all the shapers and executives from the panels, so that's something to consider.

Netflix is not involved until AFTER the submissions are selected. There is no interaction with Netflix until and unless you are selected.

It says that you'll be part of the Imagine Impact accelerator program, but it doesn't provide transparency to what exactly that entails.Once you turn in the projects to Netflix, Imagine Impact is out of the picture. You have no further contact with them. It's possible that once you turn in your drafts your contact with Netflix could be done.

The FAQ states that if Netflix selects your project they own it. A clear declarative statement. That's why I felt there was no room to negotiate a purchase price. I could be wrong, but it seems clear.

Maybe, someone who enters this first batch will give clarity on all these questions once the selection process is concluded.

Comment

Maybe, someone who enters this first batch will give clarity on all these questions once the selection process is concluded.
                                The application FAQs, guideline release and contract are accessible on the website. No need to wait for someone to submit. It's all there.
                                Last edited by finalact4; 07-01-2020, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X