No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stage 32?

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
    I'm been perusing it for a few days, participating in a couple of threads.

My big concern is that a large part of the whole thing seems to be geared towards their pay-to-pitch business. One case was asking for $45 for one pitch ... and the guy who runs that part of the site was suggesting that someone who had just finished his FIRST pilot that he use their pay-to-pitch service.

I found that downright appalling. Quite frankly, it casts a shadow over the whole site. It makes me wonder about their business model and motivations.
    That's something they started the past year. A handful of people have had success with it. I thought it a little strange that I had cold queried someone who replied they weren't looking for anything at the moment, then 2 days later I noticed their name on this pitch list.

I did connect with a producer on the site 2 years ago who ended up shopping one of my scripts around and is interested in producing a short.

It's more geared toward the novice than the pro.

Comment

One thing I've noticed since I've joined is that the Screenwriting forum tends to fill with very basic questions: loglines, formatting, read requests. Going there is like going to the playground, where DDP is more like your corner cafe. Both are useful for their own purposes.

(Could I get another latte?)

Comment

What do you guys think about their happy writer's coverage service? $150 to be read by an exec who will give you two pages of notes? The list of exec's is pretty impressive to be honest. I mean if you have the right kind of script it might be a way to get it into the hands of someone who you know has that kind of track record or has worked with similar stuff in the past? Not sure how much better it is that querying through the usual means. Though of course queries are free.

Comment

Originally posted by Klazart View Post
          I mean if you have the right kind of script it might be a way to get it into the hands of someone who you know has that kind of track record or has worked with similar stuff in the past?
          If you truly have the "right kind of script" you don't have to pay an exec $150 to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            If you truly have the "right kind of script" you don't have to pay an exec $150 to like it.
            No, but these days you might have to pay $150 for an exec to read it.

Things have changed and cold querying -- no matter how good your pitch -- it isn't what it used to be. The Internet has been both a godsend and a curse in that execs are deluged with loglines.

I'd say that $150 is not a bad price to pay for notes from someone with clout, provided you've polished the hell out of your script and really, really target the exec.

In fact, if you want to be smart about it -- get notes from ScriptGal or the Script Mechanic BEFORE and tidy it up before you target the exec (and don't tell the latter you did so) -- that would be my recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by DayJobWriter View Post
              No, but these days you might have to pay $150 for an exec to read it.

Things have changed and cold querying -- no matter how good your pitch -- it isn't what it used to be. The Internet has been both a godsend and a curse in that execs are deluged with loglines.

I'd say that $150 is not a bad price to pay for notes from someone with clout, provided you've polished the hell out of your script and really, really target the exec.
              Disagree, strongly.

The simple truth is, the only way for notes to be of any value is if they're coming from someone who is vested in a shared vision of the project and/or their relationship with you. Otherwise they're one of two things:

If your script is not up to professional-level snuff, it's a bunch of notes that you shouldn't have had to pay someone to get.

If your script is, it's about whatever the movie that they imagine, without doing the nitty-gritty, that they might like to make. But the fact that they haven't done the nitty gritty is important. They're not saying, "Do these changes and I might want this." They are steering you towards an unknown movie, that they might actually not care about at all (its just what popped into their head while reading your script) not helping you make your movie.

I know plenty of people who are getting reads the old fashioned way - legwork, emails, phone calls.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: develop your peer group. Make friends. These are the people who are vested in your success (at least partially) who will help you with both pushing you to improve your scripts and be able to provide you with referrals (when appropriate).

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                Exactly! It's about building relationships not paying someone $100 or more. I mean why does the CEO post crap like this on twitter.

A #writerslife Flashback Friday. Chillin' outside Ernest Hemingway's house, Finca Vigla, in

The drinks will flow and the blood will spill when hanging with @BradleyGallo

There's a certain poetry to sharing cocktails, conversation & and a family style meal with amazing friends
                #blessed #livelove

Thanks to those who pushed my article on breaking in & staying in the film biz to over 1200 views! #Grateful!

Hey RB, how do these tweets help with my career? Just wondering fella. But this one is my favorite.

Two New Yorkers in Hollywood. Talking film industry business and other world domination plans...

More like Two new yorkers talking how to get more money from screenwriters.

Come on where are the RB and Joey Tuccio spies? Stage 32 how many screenplays have gone into production and the writers were paid WGA money? Yeah, that's what I thought.
                I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

Here are all the success stories for Stage 32 Happy Writers - https://www.stage32.com/happy-writers/success-stories

I'm friends with RB. He's a good guy and works very hard to try and make Happy Writers generate results for writers. He's trying to build a networking and education platform and its working well.

I've got a ton out of Stage 32 personally and not spent a penny on the site. As ever, per the advice above, that was through networking hard.

I'm not one for gathering people's opinions on my material, never mind paying for it, but that's the not the path everyone wants to take.
                  Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Walley View Post
                    Here are all the success stories for Stage 32 Happy Writers - https://www.stage32.com/happy-writers/success-stories
                    and here are all the reviews from disappointed customers who think they were scammed -
                    https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.stage32.com

don't

Comment

I'm friends with rb. Good. I like his jetblue picture on his way to sundance. Helping us? Not so sure. Narcissist? I think so.
                      I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                        They are steering you towards an unknown movie, that they might actually not care about at all (its just what popped into their head while reading your script) not helping you make your movie.
                        Script Shadow charges a thousand dollars for notes and if you think he's got a clue about scriptwriting then I've got a bridge to sell you.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Walley View Post

I'm friends with RB. He's a good guy and works very hard to try and make Happy Writers generate results for writers. He's trying to build a networking and education platform and its working well.

I've got a ton out of Stage 32 personally and not spent a penny on the site. As ever, per the advice above, that was through networking hard.

I'm not one for gathering people's opinions on my material, never mind paying for it, but that's the not the path everyone wants to take.
                          I get quite a bit of emails from them selling their pitch meetings. Anyone have any experience with them?
                          Last edited by nguyensquared; 02-26-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I just signed up with them tonight. Hopefully just to meet and talk to some people. Maybe make some connections with people. The chances I'll actually pay for anything is slim.

I'll hang out there for a while. Hopefully it will be worth it just to be part of another community. If not, so it goes.
                            I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
                              I get quite a bit of emails from them selling their pitch meetings. Anyone have any experience with them?
                              I've personally never dealt with them, but a woman in my writing group pays them hundreds of dollars each month for pitch meetings, gets really rosy feedback, but no one ever options or buys her work. Sounds like a scam.

Comment

I paid $40 to have an exec evaluate the first 10 pages of a screenplay. It was essentially a two sentence evaluation. Never again.
                                FADE IN:
                                PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Working...
                                X