Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION: Transfer Final Draft to New Computer

Hey, guys ... I know that some of you have been through this, so please answer if you can.

My main computer died last month following a prolonged illness. Yes, I have the data files backed up. I have been using one of my two laptops while I decided what kind of computer to get as a replacement for my defunct desktop.

Although Final Draft is not my first choice in screenwriting programs, I have a license for version 10. I need to use it from time to time to answer questions for people about how to do something in Final Draft.

I have a copy of the original Final Draft 10 installer, along with the serial number. (Of course, I know that FD has issued free updates since the original release, but I am sure that I can download these once I have the program installed.)

Since my old computer is dead, I cannot use the copy of Final Draft on it to go through the "deactivation" process for that computer.

I have a brand-new computer with Windows 10. What is the best way to proceed to install and authorize Final Draft 10? Again, I have an installer and the serial number.

Thanks for any advice from someone who has been through this.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Re: QUESTION: Transfer Final Draft to New Computer

As I recall, I just called the customer service number and they walked me through it. May have even sent a file/link??

Not much help.

Comment

Thanks, Clint ... I will call the support number as a last resort. But if that is what it takes, I will do it.

I am a bit of a telephone-phobe, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
        Thanks, Clint ... I will call the support number as a last resort. But if that is what it takes, I will do it.

I am a bit of a telephone-phobe, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

You should be able to use their chat service on their site, if you really hate calling. See this page for details:
        https://www.finaldraft.com/contact/c...hnical-support

Just have your info on hand and ready to go. They should be able to take care of you. They've done this for many others in the past. It will help if you have registered your copy with their site and are in their system. (I assume you have.)
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks, Will ... I am pretty sure that I am registered with Final Draft. In any case, I have the serial number. I will try the link after I set up the computer. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks, Will ... I am pretty sure that I am registered with Final Draft. In any case, I have the serial number. I will try the link after I set up the computer. Thanks again.
            You bet. And they are nice enough on the phone too, just so you know.

And if you have real trouble, just let me know.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Okay, thanks again.

And I will report back here when all is finished, probably on Thursday, to let everyone know what I did. Someone else may benefit from the experience.

Comment

when i've upgraded from Mac to Mac in the past (and before i switched to Fade In), i just deauthorized the old copy of FD and reauthorized the new. i might not have had to even deauthorize, just enter the serial no. on the transferred copy

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. The old computer is dead, so I cannot use it to deauthorize for that particular computer, but maybe it will be possible to deauthorize the old installation by re-entering the serial number on a new computer.

I will report back as soon as I find out.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. The old computer is dead, so I cannot use it to deauthorize for that particular computer, but maybe it will be possible to deauthorize the old installation by re-entering the serial number on a new computer.

I will report back as soon as I find out.
                    Looks like there's only three ways. Call, chat or email.

If for some reason you weren't able to deactivate your copy of Final Draft software (hard drive crash, reformat, etc.) you can call the activation line at 818-789-6281 for a replacement activation.

You can also open a live chat with a technicaan (8:30AM to 5:30PM Mon. - Fr. (PST) or send us an email.

http://kb.finaldraft.com/article/1001/1498/

You're lucky you don't have version 7 or below, as ...

NOTE: All support for Final Draft 7 and older, including software activation and deactivation, has been discontinued. ...
                    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Thanks, Centos.

I will get my new computer set up (it is still in the box). Then I will see if I can use my serial number and prior registration to download the most recent installer for version 10. I will install the program. Then I will proceed with email, chat, and telephone call in that order, as needed.

Thanks for looking that up, Centos. I have copied the support article (including links for chat and email) and have stored it in my CintaNotes database.

My thanks to all of you guys! I will let all of you know the end of the story. Probably tomorrow.

Comment

Hey, guys ... I am a man of my word. I said I would report back on the Final Draft transfer issue. I did not get a chance to take care of things today, but I will report when I have a chance to set up the new computer. Again, thanks to everyone.

Comment

The follow-up to the story ...

I sent an email to Final Draft Support and explained that my computer had died. I provided my serial number for FD version 10 (they call this the customer number). They actually have an email form that pops up for you fill out with your customer number and a message about your problem.

A very nice person from FD wrote back that he was crediting me with another activation. He said to download the most recent update.

So that should be the end of the problem.

Fortunately, I had registered (not the same thing as activating your program). So always be sure to register.

Comment

A Hollywood happy ending!

Comment

Always the best kind.

Comment

Working...
                              X