Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #111
JoeNYC

Default Re: How important is voice in screenwriting?

?

Last edited by JoeNYC : 05-27-2018 at 01:25 PM.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #112
JeffLowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
Nope, I wasn't that smart back then to save posts on the craft. I'm telling you the truth. I searched for hours to find that thread. You do believe just because YOU couldn't find it doesn't mean someone else won't be able to find it. Cause that would be an ego as big as Mt. Everest.
This is getting weird. Assuage my huge ego and tell me where I screwed up:

I searched for every post that had the word "fret" in it (there are 101), and it is not there.

I also searched for threads that had the word "wrong" in the title (there are 35), and there isn't one called "What's Wrong With 'We See'."

Quote:
In the 2003 post you were listed as a New User with, at that time, 53 total posts.
Again, if you pull up a post from back then, it does not have a post count. An example. As you can see, it says "n/a" for post count.

So the archive was made before the software switch.

Unless I'm screwing something up, archive.org didn't archive the posts, since donedeal was using ezboard, which was excluded from archiving.

So... what am I missing?
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #113
JoeNYC

Red face Re: How important is voice in screenwriting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
This is getting weird. Assuage my huge ego and tell me where I screwed up:
Okay, I edited my previous posts because I figured out what happened. It wasn't you who screwed up. It was me.

In the past, I wasn't bright enough to save threads on the craft to my hard drive, but once in a while throughout the years I did print out some pages on the craft. It was just recently I've been going back years searching for past threads on the craft to save them to my hard drive and print them out.

When you wanted proof that you said what you said, I knew I had printed it out from one of my past searches, so I went through my hard drive and then my printed out papers and after hours of searching I found it. I assumed it was from my recent Internet searches, but when you said you searched and it wasn't there, I was too quick in accusing you of having a big ego when after all it turned out to be me that had the big ego. Surprise. Right.

I thought, "hey Jeff couldn't find it but I did. I'm great. I was flying high, but when I came back down to Earth, I looked at the print out of the "we see" thread more closely and I had an "Ah, sh!t" moment. The date that stated when I printed it out was one year after 2003. It was printed out in 2004.

Sorry. Do you forgive me?
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #114
JeffLowell

Of course! I'm slightly disappointed there isn't a bigger archive I hadn't found there are some old discussions about theme that got wiped out in the boski rage-quit that I'd love to see.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #115
ComicBent

Quote:
ComicBent seems to have also forgotten about that thread [the one from 15 years ago], because he posted right after your post, though he wasn’t addressing you and what you said. He was addressing something that TwoBrad and Deus said.
Whatever I said then, it was probably something that would embarrass me now. But we all learn.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #116
Crayon

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."
Old 05-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #117
jonpiper

Quickly browsed through the link to Fundamentals of Good Writing, including the Table of Contents and Index. Didn't notice any mention of Writer's Voice or Voice in the pages.

I wonder why. Is "Writer's Voice" a fairly recent term? The book seems to cover all the elements of writer's voice without mentioning voice.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #118
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpiper View Post
Quickly browsed through the link to Fundamentals of Good Writing, including the Table of Contents and Index. Didn't notice any mention of Writer's Voice or Voice in the pages.

I wonder why. Is "Writer's Voice" a fairly recent term? The book seems to cover all the elements of writer's voice without mentioning voice.
It takes many trees to make a forest, grasshopper.

When you can snatch the brass fastener from the hand of the sensei, you will know what is “writer's voice.”

Last edited by TigerFang : 05-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #119
ComicBent

TigerFang sent me a PM to point out that I had misspelled a word in my earlier post about the Brooks and Warren books. He was not being pedantic. He knew that I would want to know. I used the verb pour in place of the correct homonym verb pore. I answered him this way in a PM:
Well, you got me. You are correct. It is supposed to be *pore*, not *pour*, in the sense in which I used the word: to study something intently.

It was not a typo. I just spelled it wrong.

I really do not know whether I have ever seen the word spelled out, though I must have at some time in my reading over the last several decades. Strange that the spelling did not stick, because I am one of those people who can see a word once and remember the spelling almost infallibly.

Thanks for pointing it out.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #120
dpaterso

That could be the most helpful post in this thread lol.

dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote