No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So I've Created A Free Script Hosting Website; Script Revolution

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
    ...getting interest from anyone other than the people who submit their own work, as you'd have to sift through scripts one by one without any way to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
    The content of my last post was all about ScriptRevolution's extensive search filter list. Nobody should be sifting through anything one-at-a-time.

As for interest from external parties, CJ (the developer) created the site, and works hard at promoting it, in order to sell his scripts therein. All he's really done is invite us to hitch a ride on his efforts/coattails. For free. Nice guy!

..It depends on which you prioritize, the scriptwriters or the people visiting the site looking for scripts? If it's meant as just a hosting space for scripts, then the site is a great idea. If it's the former, even if ScriptRevolution had 250,000 scripts, it'll always fall short to a source with 250 scripts of vetted amazing material.
    I'd answer the question by asking, of each such service, who pays and who gets the free ride.

At the risk of making the search interface even more complicated, I've challenged SR to consider one more filter: "Has script coverage available".

The coverage would be private, as it should be, but it would be available along with the script upon request by a prod/rep. And, it would avoid the nebulous rating system, which is totally subjective and really just leaves evaluation up to somebody else. Here, the requester would have to decide yea or nay as to its value, based on the downloaded material. As it should.

Well, as to my suggestion, CJ had heard it all before and has plans in the works, pending funding. I won't get into it here. I only hope it's something that won't prevent writers such as myself, who are totally devoid of discretionary funding, from posting our stuff on his cool site!

To me, another simple filter on his search interface would suffice, and allow writers the option to send along their positive coverage from TitanCreed or whomever, or even BlackList coverage, for that matter. But I guess CJ has something else in mind.

As to whether this SR ever takes off, it requires only one major "find" by a producer/rep and that'll be the boost in reputation and confidence that the site requires. After all, BL and Script Scout both had quite famous pedigrees (BL survey, and Scoggins list) that helped them get launched - with varying results, it appears.

As for me, I've had a few reads off the site, but no deals. I get far more attention from my cold pitches, but still no deals. I deserve to get a hit someday, off of my decade of gazillion cold pitches, but if it happens from a read via ScriptRevolution I'll be the first to write CJ to tell him about it.
    Last edited by catcon; 03-14-2018, 01:17 PM. Reason: Scoggins not Coggins!

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
      The content of my last post was all about ScriptRevolution's extensive search filter list. Nobody should be sifting through anything one-at-a-time.

As for interest from external parties, CJ (the developer) created the site, and works hard at promoting it, in order to sell his scripts therein. All he's really done is invite us to hitch a ride on his efforts/coattails. For free. Nice guy!

I'd answer the question by asking, of each such service, who pays and who gets the free ride.

At the risk of making the search interface even more complicated, I've challenged SR to consider one more filter: "Has script coverage available".

The coverage would be private, as it should be, but it would be available along with the script upon request by a prod/rep. And, it would avoid the nebulous rating system, which is totally subjective and really just leaves evaluation up to somebody else. Here, the requester would have to decide yea or nay as to its value, based on the downloaded material. As it should.

Well, as to my suggestion, CJ had heard it all before and has plans in the works, pending funding. I won't get into it here. I only hope it's something that won't prevent writers such as myself, who are totally devoid of discretionary funding, from posting our stuff on his cool site!

To me, another simple filter on his search interface would suffice, and allow writers the option to send along their positive coverage from TitanCreed or whomever, or even BlackList coverage, for that matter. But I guess CJ has something else in mind.

As to whether this SR ever takes off, it requires only one major "find" by a producer/rep and that'll be the boost in reputation and confidence that the site requires. After all, BL and Script Scout both had quite famous pedigrees (BL survey, and Scoggins list) that helped them get launched - with varying results, it appears.

As for me, I've had a few reads off the site, but no deals. I get far more attention from my cold pitches, but still no deals. I deserve to get a hit someday, off of my decade of gazillion cold pitches, but if it happens from a read via ScriptRevolution I'll be the first to write CJ to tell him about it.
      I posted a script of mine I'd co-written on his site, one that has already been produced, as a way of boosting visibility search engine wise via back-links. This is similar to what we'd done with SimplyScripts: http://www.simplyscripts.com/movie-scripts.html

Not quite ready just yet to post unproduced work on it for reasons mentioned. But overall, I think it's a good start for a site, and one that with time will hopefully transform to better help the writers get more eyeballs on their work.

Comment

Sorry for the delay responding on this. I had no idea this conversation was taking place.

Crikey, where to start.

Firstly, Script Revolution is actually starting to work now. Nothing too exciting, just the odd feature sale and option here and there with regular short script options. Industry members are browsing and downloading all the time but not the kind of industry members most writers are looking to get in front of. It's more of an indie affair, and even then, on the small side of that.

For what it's worth, there's actually 43 produced scripts listed currently in the database.

Script Revolution will never score scripts. I firmly believe against it. This is why scripts can only be favourited.

It's not really a curation site either. I just try to provide a variety of ways to search through and highlight content, most of which are as automated through software as possible. It's really up to those searching to decide which system works best for them.

The awards I confirm manually and don't get involved with politically.

Simply keeping the site running is time consuming enough on top of earning income and trying to build a screenwriting career. I do try to bring in new features/improvements each month.

The onus is certainly on industry members to dig through what's there, similar to DJ's in record shops.

My own participation within the site as a screenwriter is one I try to be fair about. For example, I kept my own listing out of the Most Loved and Featured section for the first six months of implementation. I do try to take part as I'm then experiencing the site from the other side. The Featured Script section got a little messy recently as I've enforced a stricter policy on poster sizes and thus the pool reduced.

There's a long way to go and the plan is to let Script Revolution grow organically in a bid to satisfy the needs of both screenwriters and industry members. The site has changed a lot since Aug 2016 and will likely change a lot of the next year and half too.
        Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Walley View Post
          Sorry for the delay responding on this. I had no idea this conversation was taking place.

Crikey, where to start.

Firstly, Script Revolution is actually starting to work now. Nothing too exciting, just the odd feature sale and option here and there with regular short script options. Industry members are browsing and downloading all the time but not the kind of industry members most writers are looking to get in front of. It's more of an indie affair, and even then, on the small side of that.

For what it's worth, there's actually 43 produced scripts listed currently in the database.

Script Revolution will never score scripts. I firmly believe against it. This is why scripts can only be favourited.

It's not really a curation site either. I just try to provide a variety of ways to search through and highlight content, most of which are as automated through software as possible. It's really up to those searching to decide which system works best for them.

The awards I confirm manually and don't get involved with politically.

Simply keeping the site running is time consuming enough on top of earning income and trying to build a screenwriting career. I do try to bring in new features/improvements each month.

The onus is certainly on industry members to dig through what's there, similar to DJ's in record shops.

My own participation within the site as a screenwriter is one I try to be fair about. For example, I kept my own listing out of the Most Loved and Featured section for the first six months of implementation. I do try to take part as I'm then experiencing the site from the other side. The Featured Script section got a little messy recently as I've enforced a stricter policy on poster sizes and thus the pool reduced.

There's a long way to go and the plan is to let Script Revolution grow organically in a bid to satisfy the needs of both screenwriters and industry members. The site has changed a lot since Aug 2016 and will likely change a lot of the next year and half too.
          Awesome to see that it's growing and changing. Interesting approach not "scoring" scripts, though I am interested to know how one determines the quality of it without actually having to read it, especially when it reaches the 10K threshold of hosted scripts

Do you have any idea who the industry members are?

I think if there were a way on your site to sift through material to separate the wheat from the chaff quickly, you'll have gold on your hands there. Good luck!

Comment

I see every new account profile that's created. I'm not going to name names but there's plenty of industry members signing up and browsing. However as stated, these are relatively unknown filmmakers, micro-budget producers, and genre agency members. Those hoping to get a foot into the door of studios, hook up with high-profile producers, secure prestigious representation are best looking elsewhere.

Script Revolution is best suited to the kind of screenwriters looking to work their way up from the bottom outside of the Hollywood system.

There's no wheat and chaff, as such. There's no plan to monetise the site. It's just a place where every writer can find hope, on an equal footing, without any concerns over speculating their finances. The ultimate goal is to get more art out there and more artists feeling fulfilled.

I appreciate that's the anthesis of what many screenwriters want and what's currently becoming normalised within the break in industry.

My views on how this all works in terms of alignment is pretty juxtaposed to what's common knowledge. I believe this can all work from mid/long-term exposure, following writers, being aware of their other work, and of course discovery over promotion.

I also respect many writers see a significant issue with the quality of scripts on the site. That's fine. I'm happy for Script Revolution to be a weird little script hosting website nobody particularly holds in high acclaim.
            Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Walley View Post
              ...I'm happy for Script Revolution to be a weird little script hosting website nobody particularly holds in high acclaim.
              A quote you may wish to reword at some point, ha ha!

I imagine the first creative inkling you had for this site was as a way to present your own material to the world.

Considering what it has become and the effort you've put into it, nobody should have any qualms if you had dreams of monetizing the project.

Out there, maybe somebody with no screenplay background and with purely entrepreneurial interests, might offer you a pretty penny to turn it into a direct competitor for BL, Studio32, Spec Scout, InkTip etc.

Am I wrong () or are amateur writers always looking for ways to spend their money?

With that in mind, I hope you make a cool couple of hundred thousand or more, on the sale, or even millions on the IPO!

Comment

Does the site provide individual stats on each script such as times visited, read, etc.

Comment

Very nice site. I am a member. I am really glad that it exists.

As for quality ... You just have to think of it as a giant slush pile, and you can use the various filters to look at certain kinds of scripts. Then you read the synopsis. If it sounds interesting, you download the PDF file and pray that the author has heard of commas.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Does the site provide individual stats on each script such as times visited, read, etc.
                    You get emails if a script is downloaded or favourited. You also get emailed if you gain a follower.

It's not possible to build a view count system that's reliable when the script detail pages are public. The only way to implement one would be to have the site closed completely to members only. I'm vary wary of misleading any writers as it can give false hope. I've been a member of a script hosting site were downloads were miscounted and weren't transparent - it sucks.

There's no way of telling if a script is read and, for obvious reasons, the site stays clear of implying as such. I can only tell you if a script has been downloaded, by whom, and that's it.

Obviously this is all stuff I want to improve in the future and nothing is set in stone. It's just baby steps and keeping things organic as the site slowly grows.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                      Very nice site. I am a member. I am really glad that it exists.

As for quality ... You just have to think of it as a giant slush pile, and you can use the various filters to look at certain kinds of scripts. Then you read the synopsis. If it sounds interesting, you download the PDF file and pray that the author has heard of commas.
                      Thanks, I really appreciate the positive sentiment.

Based on my experience, and inline with what you say, I'd say there are a lot of giveaways as to a script's quality well before you get to the pdf. I try to encourage members to display their professionalism upfront in the form of a well written personal bio and high quality script listings. I'm hoping to bring stuff like credits in at some point too.

Personally if someone can't spell screenwriter, has a script title I've seen 500 times elsewhere, a logline that reads like a tagline, and a synopsis that reads like a Chinese BBQ assembly manual, I'm not going to be on the edge of my seat ready to read their material.

Comment

Working...
                      X