• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why I don't like (most) contests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zfnbdyAW8

Comment

Bless you for that, Jeff. Made my day...

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
        ^^ and this is why jeff gets the big bucks
        We have a winner!

wcmartell: I only read the first two pages...

- Bill

If you really like it you can have the rights
        It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Hey all,

Got a zillion PMs... SO PLEASE - I just don't want to over step my bounds... but I looked at most of the screen writing contest sites again (even the ones I am on the hook to judge later this year) to see what the rules, FAQs, Judging Requirements, etc... and this Silver Screen Writing, Creative World Awards, CS and some of the others mentioned do not provide coverage. So, it's not a Blue Cat. I think last year some did but it's changed. They are not required or say they will read every page... I guess I am confused at what you're worried about? Since most contests I know has a 10 page rule to weed out writers... this seems fair.

So, I am still saying you talented, hungry and capable folks should worry about writing 90-110 great screenplay pages (or TV pages) which have unique and amazing traits of high concept (or straightforward) story telling, amazing dialogue, beautiful worlds/arenas, heart felt characters, slim and pithy but poetic action lines on each and every page... I need to flip to page 3, then page 70 then back to page 4 and see you're consistent... And I know in 3-7 pages if that's the case. It's like buying a car. I know the difference between an 2010 Audi vs. 1985 Civic...

I remember listening to a Elliot and Rossio once saying "what if 3 pages of your script flew out of your hands and the wind took those pages to some parking lot... and those 3 pages landed on the hood of a top agent, producer or sh*t even Spielberg's windshield. You want that person to say "who the f*ck wrote this?.. I gotta meet them...! " Every page counts.

Peace...

Mr. Z

PS -- OH AND please don't PM me for a query to my company. I can't take any unsolicited queries. Sorry - thems the rules... You need to be referred to me... One of my assistants and I share this and we don't need to 150 queries from DD because we barely get on here anyway and would hate to waste your time... Great writing will rise. I'll find you

Comment

Originally posted by zazzo2003 View Post
            Hey all,

Got a zillion PMs... SO PLEASE - I just don't want to over step my bounds... but I looked at most of the screen writing contest sites again (even the ones I am on the hook to judge later this year) to see what the rules, FAQs, Judging Requirements, etc... and this Silver Screen Writing, Creative World Awards, CS and some of the others mentioned do not provide coverage. So, it's not a Blue Cat. I think last year some did but it's changed. They are not required or say they will read every page... I guess I am confused at what you're worried about? Since most contests I know has a 10 page rule to weed out writers... this seems fair.

So, I am still saying you talented, hungry and capable folks should worry about writing 90-110 great screenplay pages (or TV pages) which have unique and amazing traits of high concept (or straightforward) story telling, amazing dialogue, beautiful worlds/arenas, heart felt characters, slim and pithy but poetic action lines on each and every page... I need to flip to page 3, then page 70 then back to page 4 and see you're consistent... And I know in 3-7 pages if that's the case. It's like buying a car. I know the difference between an 2010 Audi vs. 1985 Civic...

I remember listening to a Elliot and Rossio once saying "what if 3 pages of your script flew out of your hands and the wind took those pages to some parking lot... and those 3 pages landed on the hood of a top agent, producer or sh*t even Spielberg's windshield. You want that person to say "who the f*ck wrote this?.. I gotta meet them...! " Every page counts.

Peace...

Mr. Z

PS -- OH AND please don't PM me for a query to my company. I can't take any unsolicited queries. Sorry - thems the rules... You need to be referred to me... One of my assistants and I share this and we don't need to 150 queries from DD because we barely get on here anyway and would hate to waste your time... Great writing will rise. I'll find you
            You've been exposed as a shill. Crawl away.

Comment

SO PLEASE - I just don't want to over step my bounds.

Well, you certainly stepped in something.

You and Penelope are BFFs!

Comment

Hey Mariot and JeffLowell,

Nice to meet you.

PM you're info and I'll set up a face to face at my office (it's on a nice studio lot with friendly people). Bring as many stones as you want.

Bring your best work... absolute best screenplay or original TV Pilot. Pitch it to me and I'll read the first 10 pages in front of you. My assistants (who one of which was a studio ops gal and the other is a good writer trying to break in) will bring you some nice food and you can watch my poker face while I read. Over my head you'll see a Clio, and Emmy and my personal favorite award - the Boys and Girls Club of Burbank award for charity and service...

If I like your work, I'll give it to the big boss down the hall and the partners will all have a vote.... no gags no gimmicks no bs

No shilling. Just truth.

Comment

Nice. You're going to help Jeff Lowell break in.
                  QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Nice to meet you.

PM you're info and I'll set up a face to face at my office (it's on a nice studio lot with friendly people). Bring as many stones as you want.

Bring your best work... absolute best screenplay or original TV Pilot. Pitch it to me and I'll read the first 10 pages in front of you. My assistants (who one of which was a studio ops gal and the other is a good writer trying to break in) will bring you some nice food and you can watch my poker face while I read. Over my head you'll see a Clio, and Emmy and my personal favorite award - the Boys and Girls Club of Burbank award for charity and service...

If I like your work, I'll give it to the big boss down the hall and the partners will all have a vote.... no gags no gimmicks no bs

No shilling. Just truth.
                    Damn. It just keeps getting better!

Comment

Originally posted by odocoileus View Post
                      Damn. It just keeps getting better!
                      This thread belongs in the hall of fame with "Please stop e-mailing me."
                      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Nice to meet you.

No shilling. Just truth.

Ohhh this can't possibly go well.

*Grabs the popcorn*

Comment

I knew there was a reason I kept reading this.

HH

Comment

Nice to meet you.

No shilling. Just truth.
                            Oh, you're a partner at one of those agencies based on a studio lot.

Thank you for the generous offer. I'll PM you with my contact info and get you my best script soon.

Comment

Oh snap. I stepped away for while and came back to pure gold.

I must say, as someone who rarely sides with Jeff, he just stole my heart.

Here's to the mods allowing this go on for a little while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                                Nice. You're going to help Jeff Lowell break in.
                                Since zazz knows all the contest judges, maybe he could help Max get past the early rounds of the Nicholl.

Comment

Working...
                                X