Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacific Rim

Sharpening my Spear of Longinus as we speak. Really looking forward to this.

Comment

I hope the pink Power Ranger is in this one...

Comment

This actually upsets me a bit.

All some of you guys do is complain about the sequels and the fact that nobody wants to buy original ideas and yadda yadda yadda. Here's an amazing director with a film by a writer who has worked extremely hard and has demonstrated oodles of talent, and it's based on the writer's original script, he's sole *credited* writer (according to IMDB) on the project, it's got a great cast, cool looking effects and potential to do good business. There's a possibility that this is what Transformers or Battleship SHOULD have been. It might not be good, but it might be great, and it has all the right elements to be exactly what a blockbuster should. And that is a good thing for all of us. We should root for the success of this film.

But you're still crapping on it. It really grinds my gears.
        Last edited by emily blake; 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
          I hope the pink Power Ranger is in this one...

"Oh, God No!" - Moe
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            he's sole writer on the project
            Totally agree with your rant but he wasn't the sole writer...he might be the sole credited writer but he's not the sole writer...FYI.

Comment

All some of you guys do is complain about the sequels and the fact that nobody wants to buy original ideas and yadda yadda yadda. Here's an amazing director with a film by a writer who has worked extremely hard and has demonstrated oodles of talent, and it's based on the writer's original script, he's sole writer on the project, it's got a great cast, cool looking effects and potential to do good business. There's a possibility that this is what Transformers or Battleship SHOULD have been. It might not be good, but it has all the right elements to be exactly what a blockbuster should. And that is a good thing for all of us. We should root for the success of this film.

Agreed 10,000%. "Pacific Rim", like the Matrix saga, Cloverfield and Chronicle, takes the cool elements of Japanese anime and kaiju (sp) and Americanizes them. Director Guillermo Del Toro (what a nut!) and co-scribe Travis Beacham are obvious fans, and we should at least respect them for making something cool and respectful to foreign pop culture.

BTW, I think Jim Cameron started the anime homage with "Aliens". Ripley's in the crate-lifting mecha...cool...
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I'm excited. It looks like a great, simple premise that's fun. Perfect for a blockbuster.

And the robo-voice actually IS supposed to be a nod to GLaDOS. That was intentional.
                writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                twitter.com/susanlbridges
                pendantaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                  Totally agree with your rant but he wasn't the sole writer...he might be the sole credited writer but he's not the sole writer...FYI.
                  Neil Cross according to studio system...
                  "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

I recall the script getting positive buzz here on DD. Haven't read it myself personally.

Comment

All some of you guys do is complain about the sequels and the fact that nobody wants to buy original ideas and yadda yadda yadda. Here's an amazing director with a film by a writer who has worked extremely hard and has demonstrated oodles of talent, and it's based on the writer's original script, he's sole *credited* writer (according to IMDB) on the project, it's got a great cast, cool looking effects and potential to do good business. There's a possibility that this is what Transformers or Battleship SHOULD have been. It might not be good, but it might be great, and it has all the right elements to be exactly what a blockbuster should. And that is a good thing for all of us. We should root for the success of this film.

This.

Also, just read the script. It's been floating around for a long time. It's really good, and deserves to succeed. If you don't like giant robots beating up giant monsters, then don't see it, but it doesn't have to be evidence of the system not working etc.
                      @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                        Experience just tells me this is "Yet another stupid CGI monster movie." But don't get me wrong, I'm PRAYING TO GOD Pacific Rim has character development on par with The Avengers.
                        Better character development I'd say and it's not as violent as I thought. Believe in Del toro

Comment

I guess it's the design of the robots that just gets to me, everyone knows a mecha should have horns on it's head, it's just common sense!

Mind you, I'll stick check it out cos it's in 3D so should look good in IMAX, and because, well, how often do big bot films come around anyway, can't afford to get too picky!

Comment

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
                            Neil Cross according to studio system...

And this

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                              I guess it's the design of the robots that just gets to me, everyone knows a mecha should have horns on it's head, it's just common sense!

You're a Transformers G1 fan, aren't ya?

Comment

The script kicked ass. Beacham has the goods and is a great writer. His draft of Clash of The Titans (which they didn't use) was great. I think this movie is going to make a killing.

Comment

Working...
                                X