Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to work in Development

I work at a temp agency, and the form that each applicant fills out includes questions about what types of positions you desire. Every time I see someone write that they want to work in Development or be a Development assistant, I automatically assume what they're really saying is "I want to be part of the creative processes but I don't have the talent/discipline/intelligence to actually write."

Though these 20-something kids who are just out of college and expect to be making $60k/year are probably the ones who will be reading my scripts and giving me notes.

Re: I want to work in Development

Kind of dumb and self serving to think that writing is the only part of the creative process...development is also a part of moviemaking and good development execs contribute ideas and notes and help writers understand the studio's vision of the project...plus development is a good stepping stone toward producing...another function of the creative process.

Comment

some (but probably not many) 20-something kids writing development coverage are super-scary smart and can actually function as an effective filter

some (but probably not many) writers of any age are super-scary smart and can actually write a script that is undeniable

the rest of us, on both sides of the desk, probably fall somewhere in between on the curve

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
        I work at a temp agency, and the form that each applicant fills out includes questions about what types of positions you desire. Every time I see someone write that they want to work in Development or be a Development assistant, I automatically assume what they're really saying is "I want to be part of the creative processes but I don't have the talent/discipline/intelligence to actually write."
        You are making quite a leap to reach that conclusion. Maybe they can write or could become writers but aren't interested in doing that. And, even if they don't have the talent to become professional writers, does that really mean that they should be dismissed in this fashion?

People talk a lot, correctly, about how little respect is given to writers in this business, and yet you see writers often talking about how stupid/useless development executives and (sometimes) reps are. I'm not sure if "irony" is the right descriptor, but it's probably close.

Comment

Though these 20-something kids who are just out of college and expect to be making $60k/year are probably the ones who will be reading my scripts and giving me notes.
          If you ever have the good fortune to work with a talented development person, you'll realize what a gift development acumen is in its own right, and what a tremendous difference it can make in the quality of your work.

Comment

You sound like a turd.

What? We're all thinking it.

Comment

I might have been a little rash in my post and not explained myself completely. I'm not talking about established people in Development. I've worked with many VPs of Development who have given amazing notes on projects.

This was a little mini rant generated by the dozens of people who have walked into my office in the past few weeks who just graduated from college without even student film to their name who say they're only interested in working in development. Their resumes are nothing but a couple internships and they do put down their minimum salary requirements being $50-60k.

If you want to be in Development, I suggest that you DO something first. Know what it's like to be a writer or director or producer. Experience spending 18 hour days all weekend on a shoot. Or actually finish a 120 page screenplay. Not just get a Critical Studies degree, taking classes that explore the works of George Lucas on your parents dime.

Comment

I might have been a little rash in my post and not explained myself completely. I'm not talking about established people in Development. I've worked with many VPs of Development who have given amazing notes on projects.

This was a little mini rant generated by the dozens of people who have walked into my office in the past few weeks who just graduated from college without even student film to their name who say they're only interested in working in development. Their resumes are nothing but a couple internships and they do put down their minimum salary requirements being $50-60k.

If you want to be in Development, I suggest that you DO something first. Know what it's like to be a writer or director or producer. Experience spending 18 hour days all weekend on a shoot. Or actually finish a 120 page screenplay. Not just get a Critical Studies degree, taking classes that explore the works of George Lucas on your parents dime.
                You don't sound like a turd anymore, if that makes you feel better.

I think these are the people that come from 'privileged' backgrounds and think they're entitled to everything.

I know what you mean.

Comment

Doesn't sound all that different from some guy whose seen a few movies and decides he wants to be a screenwriter.

Comment

It happens in more areas than just development. The amount of recent graduates who expect to walk directly from their graduation ceremony into the job of their dreams boggles my mind. And the amount who turn their nose up at having to do the hard yards like everyone else with sometimes little or no pay, not realising that the experience is worth more than it's weight in gold - that too amazes me. All the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                      Doesn't sound all that different from some guy whose seen a few movies and decides he wants to be a screenwriter.
                      Exactly. When I was in college, writing was always my focus. But I took acting classes, directing classes, I worked doing lighting and sound. I forced myself to audition for at least one thing a year. I wanted to know what everyone else is thinking when they look at my scripts.

I volunteered to work crew on my friends' shoots. That taught me that I absolutely do not want to be a director. Bleh.

Comment

You know, I've worked with good development execs and really really s****y ones.

And even the bad ones served a useful purpose. Having someone who is as vested in the success of the project as you are who can say, "This didn't work for me," or "I was bored here," is incredibly useful. It helps you not get stuck inside your own head, given how close you are to the story.

I think a lot of writers are naive about the extent to which they "wish it home," sometimes. They want it to work so badly that they convince themselves that it's working. Having somebody who can say "this isn't working," is an invaluable asset, if you're smart enough to use it.

One thing that always amuses me is people who have never worked with a development exec complaining about the development process. There is this meme out there among aspiring screenwriters all development does is ruin writers good ideas.

I've worked with a development exec so bad that she ended up pretty much killing a project. I worked with a different one who was so bad at articulating what he wanted that we wasted a year or so chasing rabbits. (When we figured it out there was a "why didn't you just tell us that when we started?" moment.)

I've also worked with really good ones who had a strong sense of what it would take to get the movie made, and could tell us, "It's not about quality. We can't make this movie, but we can make that one."

But the other thing to remember is that movies are a popular art form. That is to say, the general public has something to say that's actually pretty relevant about what works and what doesn't.

I bet every single person reading this has seen a movie and played development exec afterwards, "It would have been so much better if ..." You don't have to be an expert to know when something sucks. And I know as writers we never want to admit to the possibility that our work could suck, but I've read enough scripts to know better.

Comment

I had my first development experience this spring/summer, and it was the opposite of the cliche. It was great.

Aside from one minor (though really annoying) element, I have zero complaints. This exec had a lot of notes, and I have to say, 15-20% of them were useful. One or two actually made the script much, much stronger. The majority of the notes did not hurt the script in any way, they just shifted the tone and focus a bit. Since this gave me an opportunity to keep the project moving forward, I was more than happy to work with those. With the 10% or so that hurt the script, I made my case, and the exec was cool with me not executing them.

I turned in a rewrite that they all loved, we took it out, and now that script is moving forward in ways that I couldn't have imagined. It's been awesome.

This is all to say that there is absolutely a use for the development process, and there are Creative Execs who do their job extremely well. I worked my ass off for a few weeks, but I learned a lot, and the experience has been invaluable.

While development does seem like a strange career aspiration (most development execs are pretty young), it makes perfect sense to work towards a development position as a stepping stone to producing. If someone thinks they'd be good at it and eventually wants to produce, why waste time trying to pursue other endeavors?
                          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

You're right... these guys are real idiots. You can't live in LA on 60K a year.
                            If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                            Dave Barry

Comment

My first job in LA was in development. I was one of those twentysomething fresh college grads. It was a great job for a while -- I read hundreds of scripts, mostly terrible ones, which was very educational -- but development is actually a very frustrating place to be. 99% of the work you do goes nowhere and most of your days are spent pushing a boulder uphill like Sisyphus. It's a good experience to have but it takes a lot of patience to do it as a career.

Comment

Working...
                              X