Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Padget
User

Question Havoc Production Company

I have a script I would like to submit to Tim Robbins production company, Havoc. I have the telephone number and address, but no email. Another interesting thing is that the company is not listed in the Hollywood Creative Directory. What does this mean? Why would the company not be listed? I called the number I have and it is indeed the production company office. The only movies they've produced are the movies Tim has directed. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Padget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
BROUGHCUT

Default Re: Havoc Production Company

Not sure what you're asking. Did you manage to get them to request the script? Well done calling them up, better than emailing.

HCD tends not to list prodcos topped by talent to frustrate the efforts of stalkers, et al.

Also, the majority of these companies are established on the back of vanity deals and do not actually get involved in development. The bona fide production companies among them are often dedicated to a focused slate of auteurial projects.

As a consequence, these prodocs tend not to be in the market for outside material. If they are it can be found via their agents etc, so there's no benefit to being listed in a public directory like HCD. Not being in HCD isn't going to stop the few people who genuinely want to work with them, and have something to offer, from getting in touch -- but it will prevent a tide of generic queries.

Even the longer established co's are often very choosey. Drew Barrymore's Flower Films currently has two studio projects in active development (at least showing on Filmtracker) -- the likes of Brad Pitt's Plan B and Cruise/Wagner, who have at least thirty projects apiece on the burn, are the exception.
BROUGHCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
Hasil Adkins

Quote:
The only movies they've produced are the movies Tim has directed.
What does this tell you about your chances?
Hasil Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
jodeb
User

It could be worse. If Robbins *only* made movies that he had written, I'd say it was bad, but unless you want to direct, too, it shouldn't matter, IMO.
jodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
Padget
User

Thanks Broughcut for taking time to respond and explaining HCD. I actually didn't get anyone on the phone when I called and elected not to leave a message and get more info before calling back. Anyone have ideas about leaving a message, talking to person who answers (if one does) phone or written query? What about contacting an actor/actresses manager or agent. Does one query similar to the way you do when your seeking representation for yourself from an agent or manager?

To Hasil Adkins: I realize this entire screenwriting endeavor is a long shot.
To jodeb: Thanks for your response.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Hasil Adkins

Quote:
If Robbins *only* made movies that he had written
He does only make movie's he's written, with Havoc.

Padget, contacting an actor's production company or reps is the same as querying an agent. You call, or email, or write, with a brief description of your script and ask if they'd be interested in reading it.

But Broughcut is correct in pointing out that most actors' prodcos just aren't interested in reading scripts from people they don't know.

Robbins is a perfect example. He's directed three movies. Two he wrote himself, one he adapted from a published book. In addition to this, his company produced two documentaries and a filmed performance of a play he wrote. It just doesn't seem likely they are looking for material from outsiders.

But, never say never, right? Try calling Havoc's Dir. of Development, Bob White. The number I have listed for him is 310-777-1970.

Good Luck.
Hasil Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
Padget
User

Thanks for the info and for your best wishes!!
Old 08-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Padget
User

Question Re: Havoc Production Company

Hasil Adkins,

Thanks again for the info. May I ask where you got the info on director of development for Havoc? Is there a place for this info that I'm not looking?