Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Danigirl
User

Default Meeting with producer

Hi all. A producer read my script, "likes" it, and wants to meet later this week to discuss the work. He says he wants to help me move this forward. What can I reasonably expect from this meeting? I just want to know what's "normal" (if there is such a thing), and if there is anything I should beware of. I do have an attorney lined up should I need one.

What are your experiences? First time doing this and I am nervous...
Danigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Geoff Alexander

Default Re: Meeting with producer

First, do your homework. Is he the real deal? Does he have reasonable credits which you can confirm?

If so, then great, sit down with him. He will tell you what he likes about the script, he will tell you why he is awesome and can get the movie made and he may tell you what he doesn't like about the script and wants to change, i.e., he will give you notes.

If you agree with his notes, go ahead and spitball with him and let him know you agree. If you don't agree with his notes, let him know you'd have to think about those and you might have some questions. Then let it percolate for a bit and get back to him later on.

He may suggest optioning the script. You can tell him you have an attorney and you can give him the contact so that he can send any offer to your lawyer.

He might want to not do that and keep it between the two of you. Tell him fine, send it to you and cc the lawyer, and you'll get back to him.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
CrissCross
Regular

Geoff-

I'd be curious as to how many scripts you have seen optioned actually go into production. And out of that number how many actually hit the screen or VOD, etc ?
CrissCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Danigirl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
First, do your homework. Is he the real deal? Does he have reasonable credits which you can confirm?

If so, then great, sit down with him. He will tell you what he likes about the script, he will tell you why he is awesome and can get the movie made and he may tell you what he doesn't like about the script and wants to change, i.e., he will give you notes.

If you agree with his notes, go ahead and spitball with him and let him know you agree. If you don't agree with his notes, let him know you'd have to think about those and you might have some questions. Then let it percolate for a bit and get back to him later on.

He may suggest optioning the script. You can tell him you have an attorney and you can give him the contact so that he can send any offer to your lawyer.

He might want to not do that and keep it between the two of you. Tell him fine, send it to you and cc the lawyer, and you'll get back to him.
Thanks for this. Feel calmer now.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
Danigirl
User

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has anxieties when it comes to dealing with new people...even if they do have good reviews...
Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danigirl View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only one who has anxieties when it comes to dealing with new people...even if they do have good reviews...
Totally natural--just remember, you are there because they like your work. That being said, ninety percent or more of these meetings lead to nothing in the short term. It's a long view game and you need to play it that way, IMO.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCross View Post
Geoff-

I'd be curious as to how many scripts you have seen optioned actually go into production. And out of that number how many actually hit the screen or VOD, etc ?
Honestly no idea as scripts are optioned all over the place all the time.

But, I think it's reasonable to assume that the ratio is extremely low, I don't know, one in a hundred? Look at how many movies companies have in development and then how many movies they actually make...
Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
asteven50
Regular

Quote:
Honestly no idea as scripts are optioned all over the place all the time.

But, I think it's reasonable to assume that the ratio is extremely low, I don't know, one in a hundred? Look at how many movies companies have in development and then how many movies they actually make...
The vast majority of "sales" you read about in the trades are actually options. So with that in mind, a lot of "optioned" scripts get put into production. Probably more than we all realize.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Danigirl
User

Quote:
Totally natural--just remember, you are there because they like your work. That being said, ninety percent or more of these meetings lead to nothing in the short term. It's a long view game and you need to play it that way, IMO.
Thank you. Even though I research every person I deal with before the fact, I still have this fear of getting involved with the wrong person. It's scary. It's a lot like dating a person who is sweet and nice at first, then suddenly turns evil after the honeymoon is over. I know that being careful in this profession is a good thing, but I don't want to be so guarded that I wind up blowing an opportunity with someone who is good and helpful.

Anyhow, enough about my trust issues. For better or worse, I'll update as we roll along.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Danigirl
User

Quote:
That being said, ninety percent or more of these meetings lead to nothing in the short term. It's a long view game and you need to play it that way, IMO.
Totally see what you mean now. Thanks...this advice was bang-on.