Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
WritingPro

Default A Sony exec is will have my script tomorrow

Hi fellow writers,

This time tomorrow, a Sony exec will be given my script by an assistant, who said "the script is wonderful." Now, I am excited about this, because I got to this level by an act of God. I am serious. I didn't go through an agent or a manager. I worked hard on my screenplay, and I got it in the hands of an assistant at Sony pictures. According to the assistant, she said that the exec knows all about my script, and he is expecting it tomorrow.

Now in the event that he love my script and want me to come in for a meeting. Do I contact an agent? I'm sure I do, but what do I say to the agent to get the agent to rep me for the meeting?

Any suggestions....
Old 08-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
WritingPro

Default Correction...

The subject header was typed too quickly; it should read:

A Sony exec will have my script tomorrow.

*I am working on my next script, so my mind is all bogged up with information.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
jimjimgrande

um - maybe you should look at this the other way around.

A sony exec who likes your script and likes you after a meeting is the best person to refer you to an agent.

You are looking to make an ally, not negotiate a deal.

If you do get a meeting, be ready to talk about what you've done as a writer, what you are working on, and what you are planning to write next.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
Bill Marquardt

I have not made it past the phone call stage, but the pro's here usually recommend having something else to show. Typically the producer will like the writer's style but want something other than the script in hand.

Jim's advice is right on, from what I've been told. Ask him to recommend an agent if the conversation comes to that point.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
Ethel Abramowitz

Writing Pro:

Don't let the negative talkers here hold you back. Sony may like the script they are reading; and want to buy THAT. There are plenty of good writers; but few great concepts.
I get tired of the rap about how you have to have 20 great screenplays before you can sell one; maybe they actually like the Writer's ONE screenplay. I'm certainly not going to write 20 generic stories when I could be focusing on a uniqe and commercial one. Next thing I know; I'll see my idea on HBO and say...why didn't I stick with THAT?
Just go in there and be yourself. If you have more than one script, that's good. But in the meeting they'll be concentrating on your one script, so if that's all you have, don't worry.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:27 PM   #6
Pittsfield642

Default Sony

I think Jim's advice is pretty solid. He brings up a good point to think about. These are things that happen at meetings. My writing partner and I always try to prepare for anything they might throw at us. It sounds corny, but there's nothing worse than dead silence after you are asked a question. We always carry a pitch sheet with us (4 copies), two for us and two for them. If they go beyond the five scripts we have, we just hand them this pitch sheet and they can follow as we pitch the ideas plus they have something to go back to later. It usually has five to seven story ideas on it.

I don't think I've ever been in a meeting where only the one script was talked about. It always ends up with them asking us about other scripts and ideas.

Best of Luck,

Pitt
Old 08-26-2004, 03:59 PM   #7
E J Pennypacker

Default Re: Sony

Execs always wanna know what you're working on next. They want to know that you aren't a one-trick-pony. I'd beef up some other concepts (if that's all you have) in preperation when the question comes.

G-luck and keep us all posted

EJ
Old 08-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
Hamboogul

Default Re: Sony

sometimes they ask "what else are you working on?" when they don't really care. they just ask to fill time and they ran out of things to say after 5 minutes.

it's comparable to "how's the weather?" Yeah, you can give the weather report but do they really need to know when they can look outside? No.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #9
Bill Marquardt

Default Ethel ?

I don't see a single negative comment in this thread so I am not sure why you prefaced your remarks that way. It will be great if the guy loves Bobby's script, but any pro I've ever spoken with will tell you that having something else to show is a good idea. The producers I have talked to always asked what else I have going on.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
jimjimgrande

Default HIJACK ALERT

THREAD HIJACK ALERT

The question was whether to have an agent prior to a possible meeting with an exec and if so how to get one.

Edited to include: Imustbelosingmymind. Suddenly I am the sticktothesubject police.

I should probably be ignored entirely.