Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
DUCPHO

Default Re: The Real Deal!

If this Sony exec likes your project and something comes out of that you will not need to worry about an agent, they will supply one to close the deal if you are not repped!

If you close the deal with Sony and the movie actually gets made and makes money you can pick an agent!

If he likes it enough to option it but it never gets made you can still say you "flew with the big boys" and pocketed some serious change!

If he reads it and does not like it, perhaps he'll give you some great notes!

In any event you can't lose, so good luck!
-----------------------
:eek
Old 08-26-2004, 10:22 PM   #12
Ethel Abramowitz

Default Re: Ethel ?

I agree with what Hambogul indicated(Just my interpetation, Ham; if you meant something different, I apologize). They might be asking about the other scripts because the one they called you in for wasn't the great concept they were looking for..maybe they just like your writing. I'd rather not give a big spiel about all my other stories if I really think they are weak and "done before."

Inotherwords, I don't even know if I am a great writer. Perhaps I'm inspired to write because of my "great idea." I find it hard to come up with a lot of great concepts that I think Hollywood is breaking down doors for...and judging from the movies I see coming out the pros are too.

I just have, what I consider to be, one great concept so what I've done is stretch it from a feature to a series; that includes animation. Sort of like Star Wars or the Rocky series, that went on and on...I havent seen anyone try what I've done so I persevere, hoping I find that producer that says..."why didn't I think of that?" I get plenty of requests, so I rewrite and revise with the help of experienced writers, hoping I'll hit my mark. I haven't been discouraged.Hollywood doesn't know a great idea until it hits them; and if it does, you just have to hope they don't steal it.

All I say to Writer Pro is not to let it hold him back if he only has one or two good scripts, if they are great it might be enough.

Now If you all can come up with twenty great concepts; then more power to ya, I guess you're more creative than me. :smokin
P.S. I wasn't aware that a thread couldn't be hijacked; to stress a different issue that was already brought up here. Writer asked about getting an agent; then someone wagged their finger and said he better have a list of pitches..that wasn't what he asked.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #13
WritingPro

Default Thanks to all

I wish to thank everyone for their insightful comments regarding my situation. The exec has my script now, and I am hoping to hear something soon. Although it may be longer, since it is "one of the big boys in Hollywood." Any way, I will definitely let you all know the outcome, once everything pans out.

Another question, since we're on this subject. Isn't the primary job of an executive, is to find great material for the studio?
Old 08-27-2004, 01:19 AM   #14
jimjimgrande

Default Re: Thanks to all

Quote:
Isn't the primary job of an executive, is to find great material for the studio?
Maybe not primary - duties would include

-finding material
-developing material
-overseeing projects in development
-creating and maintaining relationships with writers, directors, and actors
-tracking projects being developed at other studios
-working with producers both on-the-lot and independent
-stocking bottled water for Hamboogl

and more stuff I can't think of cause it's late
Old 08-27-2004, 01:44 AM   #15
Hamboogul

Default Re: Thanks to all

what i want more than anything else is a cold bottle of Diet Pepsi with at least 10 weeks left in the expiration date.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #16
OkeyDokey

Default the primary job of an executive

Good lidt, jim.

From what I can tell, at least 80% of an executive's job is meetings.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #17
jimjimgrande

Default Re: the primary job of an executive

80% meetings is a hard day:b

a regular day is 80% percent phone calls - 20% lunch

tough, but someone has to do it.

and sometimes they read scripts and go to screenings but that's evening and weekend work
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #18
filmcarver

Default Re: the primary job of an executive

Ethel...It sounds like the point being made was to stick with your opinion on the original post rather than a curve ball related to other's comments...a common malady on this board.

Best of luck with your meeting with Sony.