Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Attywab

Default Seeking ProdCo/Studio For "Wizard of Oz" Spoof

I am a co-writer on a script entitled, "Munchkin P.I." It is a spoof of "The Wizard Of Oz," telling the story from the point of view of a Munchkin private investigator (in the style of Sam Spade or Phillip Marlowe) who has been hired by the Wicked Witch of the West to find out who killed her sister, The Wicked Witch of the East. My collaborators and I feel that it will attract a similar audience as "Shrek," especially if it is done in 3-D animation. Does anyone know of any reputable prodcos or studios to which I can submit this script?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
Hamboogul

Aren't you the one who often posts as providing legal services for those writers on DD who need representation in entertainment?

If you are a legitimate lawyer who makes significant source of your revenue from entertainment law, you should know this...

OR...

You should not be listing your entertainment law services.

And to answer your question, I don't know.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
copywriter1

Default Wizard of Oz spoof

Hate to burst your bubble, but there have been many, many screenplays that spoof Wizard of Oz. It's not very original.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:27 AM   #4
kullervo

Default Re: Wizard of Oz spoof

It has the added advantage of being one of the most rabidly defended copyrights in Hollywood. And you heard it here last-- riffing on someone else's story/characters is no way to start a career, even if you do have the rights.

kullervo
Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
hunterjordan

Quote:
It has the added advantage of being one of the most rabidly defended copyrights in Hollywood.
Although your point about attempting to break in by parodying something may not be the best career move, my understanding is that a parody or spoof overrides the concept/legality of copyrights. Am I wrong about that?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:49 PM   #6
kullervo

Bwa ha ha ha ha...

That's a good one.

Enjoy the cease and desist letter.

kullervo
Old 07-10-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
kitnerboy

Not only could you produce a parody of Wizard Of Oz, you could do a scene by scene retelling of Frank Baum's novel, since it is now in the public domain.

What you cannot do, is infringe on the 1938 film, which means you need to come up with your own songs, although (for my money) you'll be hard-pressed to improve on Michael Jackson's "Ease-on-down, Ease-on-down the roooad" ditty.

You likewise cannot copy any of the scenes created specifically for the film, like the Wicked Witch air-writing Surrender Dorithy. (but you could have her write Eat At Joe's, or something just as witty.)

The bad news (for you) is that Wizard Of Oz parodies are in danger of displacing vampire-buddy cop-serial killer films in the over done idea department.

Not to mention that since the commercial failure of 1981's Under The Rainbow, and the death of Billy Barty in 2000, the munchkin comedy genre is in shambles.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
OkeyDokey

But "Wicked" is a big success on Broadway. It might be made into a film, so there might be more interest in Wizard of Oz material. (Even though it's based on an original source, everyone knows it as a take on "The Wizard of Oz.")

Personally, I think the idea of a Munchkin P.I. investigating who killed the Wicked Witch is kinda funny, and if taken far enough, could be entertaining. But it would have to work on it's own merits, not just as "a Wizard of Oz parody."
Old 07-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #9
pnugentr

The impending film version of "Wicked" works against any WoOZ material, I think, not in favor of.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
RogerRmjet

Default Re: Wizard of Oz Spoof

I agree that the impending film version of Wicked might make this a tough sell, though if the Wicked movie does really well, you might sell it in a week.

I have to admit, though, I like your premise and wouldn't mind reading that myself (can't help you on the production end, though). The more I think about a Munchkin P.I., the more I like the idea.

You might want to try to do it yourself as a stage play or independent film. True, Wizard is in Public Domain so you can have at it, just be sure to steer clear of anything too close to the MGM film, such as the ruby slippers (they're silver in the book and in Wicked).