Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
Twofingeredtypist

Default Re: I have a script at Paramount...so why am I hoping it fails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeastredux View Post
I wondered if a few days would change my mind. Now I'm hoping they say no more than ever.

I think I hate this business. And I think it took me 15 years to realize that.
What if they say yes?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
Bunker

I wonder if it's also a fear of the unknown. After 12 years, you know exactly how to perform the job of "struggling screenwriter." Any promotion from those ranks will undoubtedly be accompanied by anxiety.

Also, there's the fact that for 12 years, your career had no where to go but up. Now, you can go down. Which is a terrifying realization.

So I don't think you're crazy. Perhaps you've subconsciously found comfort and an identity in being a struggling unknown screenwriter.

That's my psychoanalysis, which is worth just as much as any legal or medical advice I offer on a forum.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
SCanfieldfilms
User

It's a potent cocktail of all the things everyone has mentioned. Not specifically fear of failure, (I don't think, only OP would know for sure) but fear of what happens when you do become successful, like Harbinger noted, rewrites and the general floating away of the intent of your script.

That, and the fear that even if it does get picked up, there's no guarantee of production, so right as you feel you taste success, you realize it's just another drop in the bucket and you have to try again, no matter how far you got on the last one.

Either way, you have to realize that being read by a major studio is great progression, and upward mobility is much easier with that said and done, whether they go for it or not. Progress is progress.
SCanfieldfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #24
beerbeastredux

Quote:
What if they say yes?
They won't. Wish I could be more optimistic, but every time i have a script out, and the signs seem promising, that's what I start to think. I think "Yeah, what if they say yes?" And every time I start to think that, without fail, I get a rejection.

So,...meh.
beerbeastredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
Shari Hari
Regular

U a good dude, beer.

Here's hoping that you get what you don't want in this case, despite yourself.
Shari Hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
Harbinger

Thought about posting this for a while. I answered on this thread before trying to get an idea of the thought process here. I get that this stuff becomes more and more daunting as more and more people say yes.

I get that. Implementing notes. Fear of success... whatever.

But (and this only shows how great DD is) the kind of success you're hoping not to have is the kind of success most DD'ers would give the right pinky for. So, and maybe it's just me, it veers dangerously close to disrespectful to lament a level of success that a lot of people on here strive everyday for.

And maybe, rather than kid gloves, this is point where someone needs to simply say.... GET OVER IT!....MAN UP!

And not to be cruel, but simply just in a verbal 'slap the hysterical damsel' sort of way. Maybe what's needed here is not 'Aww.... is Beer okay?' But instead a short sharp, rude awakening at the opportunity that presents itself here that most would sacrifice limbs for.

Maybe the best way to look at it is not 'Oh god. It's going to happen.' and more 'Oh god... what if it never had happened.'

I dunno. Maybe you're not one for tough love. But to be honest, whilst I tried to help before, I'm now (having seen the latest posts) of the opinion of PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER AND GET THE JOB DONE... There's a possibility of an amazing opportunity here.... and you didn't even have to lose a vital limb!
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
YakMan
Regular

^^^ ...Hmmmm...did I just hear someone say: "Let's see your 'War Face'"???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924tAUi7ZTQ

YakMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
Aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Thought about posting this for a while. I answered on this thread before trying to get an idea of the thought process here. I get that this stuff becomes more and more daunting as more and more people say yes.

But (and this only shows how great DD is) the kind of success you're hoping not to have is the kind of success most DD'ers would give the right pinky for. So, and maybe it's just me, it veers dangerously close to disrespectful to lament a level of success that a lot of people on here strive everyday for.

And maybe, rather than kid gloves, this is point where someone needs to simply say.... GET OVER IT!....MAN UP!

And not to be cruel, but simply just in a verbal 'slap the hysterical damsel' sort of way. Maybe what's needed here is not 'Aww.... is Beer okay?' But instead a short sharp, rude awakening at the opportunity that presents itself here that most would sacrifice limbs for.

Maybe the best way to look at it is not 'Oh god. It's going to happen.' and more 'Oh god... what if it never had happened.'

I dunno. Maybe you're not one for tough love. But to be honest, whilst I tried to help before, I'm now (having seen the latest posts) of the opinion of PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER AND GET THE JOB DONE... There's a possibility of an amazing opportunity here.... and you didn't even have to lose a vital limb!
Yeah, I've gone through a similar transition on this, since the beginning of the thread. The tone feels different now; more defeatist.
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
Twofingeredtypist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Extremely well said, that man!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
Twofingeredtypist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeastredux View Post
They won't. Wish I could be more optimistic, but every time i have a script out, and the signs seem promising, that's what I start to think. I think "Yeah, what if they say yes?" And every time I start to think that, without fail, I get a rejection.

So,...meh.
Can't really say it better than Harb, but there are some folks on here who are still waiting for signs from a studio. Or an agent. Or a manager. Or good coverage from a service, etc...

I truly hope you get the call.