Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Darthclaw13
Regular

Default Best way to approach a producer?

Greetings everyone,

My question is...what is the best way to approach a producer?

I am wishing to get in touch with a producer who I have always wanted to work with.

I have my finished script, a completed budget, a completed business plan, my locations, and some verbal and email LOI's from well known talent (along with other talent connections).

Should I call up the prod company and ask for the producer's email and then send a query email?
Or should I go through their agent?

I prefer to try the direct approach first as I want to find out if he would be interested in working with me on this venture before sending over all the info I have ready. (I hope that made sense).

I do appreciate any advice folks here may have for this situation, and I wish everyone here much success in your own ventures.

(if anyone is curious the prod I want to work with is Richard Kelly of Darko Ent.)
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
BurOak

Default Re: Best way to approach a producer?

From the rear. On tiptoes.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
cvolante

I'm sure approaching his prod co through your agent or manager would be the best way, but if you don't have one, you could call yourself. You'll likely reach an assistant, but assistants can be very nice and helpful. They'll let you know if he's open to outside projects.

Last edited by cvolante : 05-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
Greetings everyone,

My question is...what is the best way to approach a producer?

I am wishing to get in touch with a producer who I have always wanted to work with.

I have my finished script, a completed budget, a completed business plan, my locations, and some verbal and email LOI's from well known talent (along with other talent connections).

Should I call up the prod company and ask for the producer's email and then send a query email?
Or should I go through their agent?

I prefer to try the direct approach first as I want to find out if he would be interested in working with me on this venture before sending over all the info I have ready. (I hope that made sense).

I do appreciate any advice folks here may have for this situation, and I wish everyone here much success in your own ventures.

(if anyone is curious the prod I want to work with is Richard Kelly of Darko Ent.)
Go through his production company. There is a woman there who is an assistant, you'll want to start with her.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
markerstone
Regular

My experience in this is that no matter how much work/time/effort you have put into developing the project it will still fall flat if it is not an exceptional script AND exactly what they are looking for AT THE TIME... timing is critical.

Connections & presentation to get the read-- brilliant script to get the meeting and only then will all the time and effort invested in developing the project possibly pay off... that is unless they want to option it outright then all of that work will be merely producer 'practice'.

If I were you I would make a list of 10-15 producers who have done similar stuff in the past and fine tune your pitch to get read at as many as you can.

M