Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest turnaround on writing?

I'm not even getting into an argument about my writing ability on a single screenplay.
    Last edited by Tigre de Oro; 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM.

Comment

i'm not attacking you, i'm simply replying to what i feel is garbage. i read your script, i read your self-proclaimed success and I weighed in on the discussion.

it's hard for me to believe that this material got made. i look at your writing. i look at my writing. i look at the axioms. i conclude that you can't possible be sold or the axioms can't possible be right.

and i hate axioms.
      You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

i want to blow you dude, you wrote a script in the time it takes me to put in a tennis court.

it faucking blows my mind. i read your script. i got opinions. i got ideas. i could have been a contender, your my brother charlie, you're supposed to protect me.

Comment

Originally posted by dgl View Post
          2 months to write an outline seems about right to me, and 3-4 weeks to finish a solid first draft without a day job getting in the way is highly respectable.
          ditto. That's what I had in mind.
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
          -Confucius

Comment

I wrote a TV spec as a speed test in a week and the result was unsurprisingly in need of a lot of work.

Now I take as long as it needs to be written, which is pretty much what I did before. I'll worry about deadlines when someone provides me with a paying job with one.
            @MacBullitt

Comment

what cracks me up tigre, is the way you talk tigre -- you're obviously from another country, and the little things in your script and your posts are 'off' because you don't get the subtle translations.

perfect example, your repeated statement that you told your entourage ' you only gave 50%'. . . who says that?

the script is like a bad B-MOVIE written by a foreigner with a cliche narrative he learned through other bad movies, of the american pysche. and your entire 'game' is off.

come back with another user name. . . like JOHN WAYNE.

Comment

Kojak

Comment

thank you all for the pm love letters i'm been recieving, i've noticed some spelling errors in them and have sent back them corrected. no need to thank me.

Comment

Anyone else got the feeling you've tuned in to episode 5 of a 10 part series here?
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

It's easy to see who the real writers are on this forum.

Just check out the amount of stupid posts some people have made since joining. The time spent on the forum could have been spent writing scripts, don't you think?

If you want to have a go at someone, grow up or at least do it via PM.

Your negative attitudes ruin the threads for everyone else. Or are you too selfish and ignorant to see that these forums are meant for sharing knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Olgason View Post
                        So my question is:
                        How long does it take you to outline? Days? Minutes? Seconds? While you sleep?
                        When I outline, I use 3 pieces of notebook paper and write on each line (sometimes two) a single sentence to describe the scene, or beats within the story. These can be as simple as just the location.
                        Ex : Hotel Elevator
                        Or more descriptive in the whole scene.
                        Ex : Stops at a motel. Girl takes a shower - Guy messes with MP3 player - Tries to upload songs. Girls comes out -- entices them to hit the bed. MP3 player says memory is full.

It takes a few hours to get an outline complete and I try to stay between 75-90 total lines on the notebook paper.

Comment

. . . then the little elves come in while you sleep and cobble away.

Comment

I feel like a big loser for taking three weeks on the first draft.

I suck.
                            Never mistake motion for action. ~Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Bellabell View Post
                              I feel like a big loser for taking three weeks on the first draft.

I suck.
                              Yeah, but factor in the re-write time and you probably find you don't suck as much.
                              @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by THEUGLYDUCKLING View Post
                                i think it's comical that people can say that quality and the time it takes to write a script is not related. personally i think people are so full of shaite it's painful.
                                Just because someone writes quickly and extremely high quality first drafts when others have to slog away or write "vomit drafts" and then spend 6 months rewriting it's no need to get all wound up. I haven't read Tigre's stuff and frankly I don't care to. There are TONS of bad scripts that get sold and made and TONS of great scripts that don't. So what?

As for speed, it's really just an indication of process. Now, for me personally that means actually sitting at my keyboard around 40 hours give or take.

Many of you would call that a "vomit draft." But I will say this, I've never once done a rewrite (much to my detriment I'm sure) and yet I know for a fact that my first drafts are, without a doubt, better than most of the posters who tout their polished "I spent a year of my life and 90% of my lifeblood on this 13 draft masterpiece" drafts on this board and the proof is in optioning material and getting representation.

Does that mean that I'm a fast writer or that someone else is a slow writer? No. It means our processes are different. If you count all the time I take in my head playing it out for a year or more BEFORE I sit down for those forty hours I've probably spent hundreds and hundreds of hours "Writing."

If you're slow who gives a sh*t? If you're fast who gives a sh*t? What matters is if ultimately you have material that gets sold and that again, has often very little to do with talent.

Don't be a snooty jackload who assumes that rewriting is good writing either. I'd rather have a good writer write 1 draft than a sh*t writer rewrite 500 drafts of the same Sh*t!

Originally posted by dgl View Post
                                This is why this whole thing gets under my skin a bit. People try to hold themselves up to this unrealistic standard, which is really based on bad info. Someone finishing a vomit draft in 3 days or 6 days or whatever means nothing. There's no reward for speed. None. According to Guild rules the writer has a certain minimum amount of time to hand in a first draft, and though I don't remember what it is off-hand, it's months not days.
                                Writing is rewriting, and the only thing that matters is what shape it's in when in goes out the door.

2 months to write an outline seems about right to me, and 3-4 weeks to finish a solid first draft without a day job getting in the way is highly respectable.

1-4 really good scripts a year is a hell of a lot better than 10 POS scripts.

Comment

Working...
                                X