Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black List: Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship

It seems very vague that the selection process is "based on data we've accumulated about scripts." Does "data" simply mean your rating?

In the email I received, it mentioned if you "wanted to" get an evaluation. But isn't it mandatory to get an evaluation, since a "score" is probably the only way to get noticed above the thousands of other scripts that have opted in? And even if you did get an evaluation, how can you compete with a script that has several good evaluations?

If you don't need an evaluation, does that mean that if you put up a script now, you'll have a shot compared to a script that's been up for a year, since there will be zero "data" on your script?

Finally, if "data" doesn't mean just your rating, what does it mean? Ten people are shortlisted in less than a month (since they announce on December 1st), so they're not reading all the scripts. Outside of a rating, what's the process?

Re: Black List: Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship

If my 8-rated script is not currently being hosted, can I still opt in?
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
      If my 8-rated script is not currently being hosted, can I still opt in?
      No.
      http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

LiMAMA's answer is incorrect.

If you rehost your script for at least a week before December 1 and opt in, you are opted in. That simple. Legally, you have to have your script hosted for at least part of the submission period (in this case, from the date of the announcement to December 1) in order for us to consider your material. If you do not get selected for this year, you can opt in again for next year. The next submission period begins immediately following the close of this one's.

As for the first post, data includes, as it implies, all the data we have about your script. It's rating(s). It's # of downloads. It's logline, genre, tags, etc. etc. etc. We reserve the right to use all of the data at our disposal in order to make a decision about which scripts are shared in any capacity, that includes our various partnerships. We will not share propriety information, however, about how that data is used to make those decisions.

As for the other questions:

1. We recommend purchasing at least one evaluation to guarantee that we have some data with which to evaluate your script. Plenty of writers who have uploaded to the site have managed to get their script read and rated by industry pro members through other means (queries, etc.) The limited timeline in this case, however, makes that more difficult, thus the recommendation.

2. As for the question of whether it's possible to be short listed with only a single evaluation, one of our Lab participants received their only rating less than two weeks before the decisions about that short list were made.
        Last edited by FranklinLeonard; 11-02-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
            LiMAMA's answer is incorrect.

If you rehost your script for at least a week before December 1 and opt in, you are opted in. That simple. Legally, you have to have your script hosted for at least part of the submission period (in this case, from the date of the announcement to December 1) in order for us to consider your material. If you do not get selected for this year, you can opt in again for next year. The next submission period begins immediately following the close of this one's.

As for the first post, data includes, as it implies, all the data we have about your script. It's rating(s). It's # of downloads. It's logline, genre, tags, etc. etc. etc. We reserve the right to use all of the data at our disposal in order to make a decision about which scripts are shared in any capacity, that includes our various partnerships. We will not share propriety information, however, about how that data is used to make those decisions.

As for the other questions:

1. We recommend purchasing at least one evaluation to guarantee that we have some data with which to evaluate your script. Plenty of writers who have uploaded to the site have managed to get their script read and rated by industry pro members through other means (queries, etc.) The limited timeline in this case, however, makes that more difficult, thus the recommendation.

2. As for the question of whether it's possible to be short listed with only a single evaluation, one of our Lab participants received their only rating less than two weeks before the decisions about that short list were made.
            I don't even have a script on the Black List site at this point and I still want to send you chocolate for Christmas. You do cool stuff. That is all.
            "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
            Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Franklin, what I thought the poster meant was could he opt-in to the fellowship without hosting his script again--just because he had an 8.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                Franklin, what I thought the poster meant was could he opt-in to the fellowship without hosting his script again--just because he had an 8.
                On that question, you're absolutely right. I just didn't want anyone to think that it was impossible for them to make themselves eligible, thus the clarification.

Comment

And sigh... Another money making scheme that preys on aspiring writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                    And sigh... Another money making scheme that preys on aspiring writers.
                    Are we really making this accusation again? Please consider reading one of the two threads on Done Deal that extend well past 1000 posts wherein address questions about the website, how it works, and why it is structured they way it is.

Or the essay: The What, The How, and the Why of the Black List: The Long Answer.

Or any of the press about what we do and its success.

Comment

It doesn't take 1000 posts to see what's really going on. The 1000 posts were needed to try and create the illusion and false hope.

Save your money folks.

Especially minorities, I've heard issues of racism and bigotry amongst Blacklist readers.--issues to be exposed in coming months I'm sure.

Who are they[low paid low experience readers] to judge your scripts anyway? What kind of produced credits do Blacklist readers have?

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                      Are we really making this accusation again? Please consider reading one of the two threads on Done Deal that extend well past 1000 posts wherein address questions about the website, how it works, and why it is structured they way it is.

Or the essay: The What, The How, and the Why of the Black List: The Long Answer.

Or any of the press about what we do and its success.

Comment

So I hear the Red Sox won a big baseball game the other day.
                        "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                        Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                          So I hear the Red Sox won a big baseball game the other day.
                          I heard the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                            Especially minorities, I've heard issues of racism and bigotry amongst Blacklist readers.--issues to be exposed in coming months I'm sure.
                            That's quite an accusation. Any proof, other than what you "heard"?

The Blacklist says I suck (at least based on the numerical score). I don't particularly agree with them, but, hey, it's what they're saying. Now I can make accusations that the readers are racist, but I'm white so that'd be kinda hard to prove. Or, I can keep writing, utilizing the Blacklist as one avenue of many as a ways of gaining traction in the business.

I think there is a valid question to be had in why the Blacklist doesn't charge a modest fee for managers/producers in using the service, and why writers have to absorb all the cost, but valid questions get lost in accusations and negativity that don't help anyone.

Comment

I hate to add fuel to such a fiery accusation, but I don't see how racism and bigotry could even be logical possibilities here.

On what information would allegations of "issues of racism and bigotry" be made? That readers assume or take into account the race of the writer? Not likely. That there's inherent racism in the policies or guidelines readers use to evaluate scripts? Um... I'm gonna say no on this one. That scripts about minorities are routinely rejected because of institutional-wide racism in the organization? Um... I'm just gonna go with impossible on this one.

Oh, wait, I know, maybe it's because BL has closed its eyes to facts about underrepresented screenwriters. http://blcklst.com/warnerbros
                              Yeah, that's probably it.

Comment

Working...
                              X