Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working on spec?

I started working on a spec with a producer, but it became clear very quickly that it wasn't going to work out and we aborted before we got to draft.

There are cases where this happens, and it works out - but for me the only circumstances where I would consider it are:

1) I love the project.
    2) I believe the producer I'm working with can get the project made.
    3) I own the project free and clear if it doesn't get set up by the producer.
    4) I think working with the producer will be a good working experience.

The idea that multiple writers are out there speccing something for this producer/studio would be an INSTANT deal killer. It would be hard for me not to tell the producer to eff off. Because one part of #4, above, is that you get a sense that the producer is enthusiastic about working with you, and if he's giving it to a bunch of writers, that's not the case.

Comment

I can't reply to all responses but every one was greatly received - thanks. Canela hit the nail on the head about respect and IMO if they like your writing that much they can pay for more of it. It's good to know it's right not to work for free, for a dangling carrot that may not even exist.

Apologies for the lack of clarity - I got the email from my manager late at night and only had 5 minutes during my dinner hour the next day to post my question. To clear things up this is not from the studio but a dev exec for a producer with big credits who has ties to the studio. The exec sent through a pretty detailed 5 page treatment - hardly any white space - and the memo that it had also been sent to other writers but that no one had been chosen as yet.

As long as it's reasonable to tell my manager I won't do free/spec work and not come off as a dick for doing so then that's fine by me.
      FWIW, I wasn't enamoured by the material either and even if I was, the situ would have to be very different as Madworld and ATB described.

Cheers
      Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-26-2014, 04:46 AM.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

My old partner and I did it once and it worked out pretty well. We were new and eager and didn't have the sense to consider the risks, although at some point we did manage to have a discussion about script ownership if the project didn't go forward. And, to the criteria above, we liked and trusted this exec and absolutely flipped for his idea. This was a young guy who hadn't been at the company that long, so for him I don't think it was about exploiting us, but rather trying to make some kind of a splash himself. At least that's how it felt to me.

Overall, it was a great experience. Got fantastic guidance that helped the script and our writing tremendously -- he really pushed us to a different level. It didn't sell, but it did get us our first agents (set up by the exec, I should add). There was a moment right before we took it out where he suddenly started suggesting that he get story credit, but the agents squashed that pretty quick.

Would I do it again though? Unlikely -- just too many horror stories out there -- and absolutely not if they were dangling it in front of multiple writers. But for what it's worth, at the time it was a key moment and opportunity in our career.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
          The exec sent through a pretty detailed 5 page treatment - hardly any white space - and the memo that it had also been sent to other writers but that no one had been chosen as yet.
          So he's inviting you do pitch for the chance to do free work? That's a pass.

So is not being in love with the material.

Comment

I'm glad the details were clarified because WB would not ask a writer to provide a script on spec under those terms. WB might be running under a new regime but this is not how they operate. However it's not uncommon for other players in development to run a bit more freely with these things and without knowing more it sounds like the development exec in question might run a bit fast and loose when it comes to developing ideas. He/she has written or received a treatment and wants to see if a writer can turn it into something worth developing but wants to do so without incurring any expenses or getting mussed up in any contractual obligations. Sure they can do this and writers can play the game if they wish, but it's risky and usually means working for free and not getting a gig.

If you're a first time writer and just want to get your feet wet and have no expectations, these things can be an interesting learning experience but even so why not do it professionally in the first place. The bottom line is, as you say, you don't write scripts for free, the WB brand was waved around as an enticement without foundation, and as Ronaldinho says, if you don't care about the material, that confirms it's a pass.
            "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              Are you sure you were asked to write an actual spec? Were you just asked to write up a treatment? It's quite normal to do a treatment or an outline for free and then watch it disappear into the ether.
              Originally posted by hockeyjason View Post
              My partner and I did this last year for a pretty big producer. I WILL NEVER do it again.
              I would say these two responses best typify my experiences (minus the partner part) and recommendation.

That being said, I have heard of this kind of thing - taking a producer's idea and turning it into a project (treatment, script, etc.) - working before and ultimately getting bought/sold or leading to paid work on something else. But generally, in my experience, it's a bunch of work for very small percentage of any payoff.

Good luck!
              http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

I wasn't enamoured by the material
                And there's your answer.

Comment

Not that I am having second thoughts and being seduced by the dangling carrot - I most definitely am not and have told my manager so - but if you like the material (even if you like nothing else about the situation) could it be beneficial to work on it anyway - where the worst case scenario is simply you've added another script to your portfolio? Sure, you can't sell it but it's still showcasing your writing.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Sometimes the middle finger is a perfect business tool for certain business suggestions.

After all, writing for free on someone's spec is an invitation to have unprotected intercourse with a horse.

At the end you will hurt.

There's really no reason to do business with someone who comes up with that kind of suggestion.

I think, OP, your natural instincts are right. If you write on spec, write your own spec. Who the hell wants to write a story he doesn't own, get nasty comments from people who don't pay you, and in the end doesn't even have the rights to the screenplay.

Writers need to be proud of their work and have to turn down offers to get raped for free.
                    "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Lol at your last line.
                      M.A.G.A.

Comment

where the worst case scenario is simply you've added another script to your portfolio? Sure, you can't sell it but it's still showcasing your writing.
                        You know my lack of experience but I'd look at it like this.
                        If you don't have anything else going (although I imagine you do), then why not stab at it? Nothing else, you have another sample and maybe a producer that remembers your name.
                        SL35
                        Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Just thought I'd point out that John Ridley won as Oscar last night for a script he wrote on-spec, for free, for Plan B: 12 YEARS A SLAVE.

From on-spec to Oscar.

So it works out, sometimes. If the situation is right.

Comment

Ridley also wrote "Three Kings" on spec for David O. Russell. So it absolutely delivers big time sometimes to do it. But it ain't the same thing to do it for a producer with few or no credits or no clear-cut studio or prodco affiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                              Ridley also wrote "Three Kings" on spec for David O. Russell. So it absolutely delivers big time sometimes to do it.
                              He received a "story by" credit. Not the same as "screenplay by".

Comment

It's always a heartwarming story when millionaires ask for free work.

Comment

Working...
                                X