Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 to 10 How important is the character intro

Some have said to get actors that can get a project made must LOVE the character intro. How much detail about the character is enough?

Re: 1 to 10 How important is the character intro

Speaking as an actor, a great character intro is nice, but what's more important is what the character says and does after that.

Comment

The writer is usually given a little poetic license during the main's intro. This is where you can us an aside to give a good picture. More imortan is what is the event going on in the plot when he/she is intro'd.

Comment

Originally posted by kLove29 View Post
        Some have said to get actors that can get a project made must LOVE the character intro. How much detail about the character is enough?
        Depends on what you consider the character intro. Are you talking about the description of the character in the action? Who cares? Seriously. I generally stick to name, age, and any relevant physical details.

What really matters is the action and dialogue. The actor doesn't get to read their description out loud in the film. They get to say the dialogue and perform the action. Give them a nice juicy part with lots of conflict both interior and exterior. That's what they want.

Comment

A good example of "character intro" in terms of action is the intro of Frank Underwood in the pilot of House of Cards. When he does that thing to the dog on the sidewalk, that's an action that speaks a thousand words.

Comment

A good example of "character intro" in terms of action is the intro of Frank Underwood in the pilot of House of Cards. When he does that thing to the dog on the sidewalk, that's an action that speaks a thousand words.

Comment

If you are a student of the craft, and unless you are a paid writer you are a student, then I'd suggest opening with a bang when we first meet the hero. I know we all see the quiet openings to characters all the time. The sitting at the table drinking a cup of coffee to start the day. Quiet openings are very tough to pull off. They are all about the entertainment value of the narrative itself and not so much the impact into story. I've read lots of quiet intro's, an early draft of Seven opens with Sommerset on a train ride, his head against the glass, alone with his thoughts. This draft started the storyline with Sommersets want to leave the life in the city. He's buying a house out in the burbs. The writer started this draft trying to build around this block first, but as we all know the final draft opens at crime scene #1. But still the quiet intro was still done by a super talented writer of thrillers. It hinted as to mood, it was sharp and visual. I didn't mind reading it. If you are a student of the craft, I do not recommend trying it.

Comment

Thanks for the insight everyone. I usually give a brief physical description, age, and maybe hair color. Then I heard that actors were more interested in the personality, quirks, whatever it is about the character that'll make them stand out, or be interesting to play and they want that info early.

Of course, all that may not fit into the character intro. After all, we're talking about parenthetical info that's been described between the real action or dialogue.

Comment

Then I heard that actors were more interested in the personality, quirks, whatever it is about the character that'll make them stand out, or be interesting to play and they want that info early.
                  Totally. Hair colour is one of those things where, unless it's an absolutely fundamental aspect of the story, it's usually redundant.

You'll already be ahead of the pack if you steer away from (21, blonde, pretty but she doesn't know it).

Comment

Originally posted by pabloamigo View Post
                    (21, blonde, pretty but she doesn't know it).
                    Do you have her number?

Comment

Are you talking character intro, like, the little tag that you put after the first time you mention them, so that we have a picture in our head?

Or are you talking character intro, like, their first scene where we get a strong sense of who they are?

I'd put the former at about a 4 (because nothing is unimportant, but it really doesn't matter that much compared to other elements) and the latter at 10.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                        Do you have her number?

Comment

How much detail about the character is enough?
                          I've found that "strikingly beautiful" works well.
                          Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I think its pretty important, but important doesn't mean lengthy. I think character intro's are a great subversive way to let the reader know character roles. When you read a blurb about the character you can usually automatically deduce if a character is the protagonist, antagonist, love interest, unimportant, etc.

I do agree that what the character does and says is equally important. Unless it's relevant to the plot I don't care about their hair or eye color, even their exact age.

I think a great intro combines both a short blurb about their persona and then an action that confirms an solidifies it.

here is a great article of examples: Top Ten Character Intros

It starts with Jack Sparrow in the first Pirates of the Caribbean which I think perfectly sets up his character

Comment

10 -- every friggin' word is that important.

And enough is what informs us of character.

Description is not about the color of their eyes or hair, it's about getting to the essence of the character.

And there's two parts to that question. One is the description. The other is active introduction. IOW, what they say and do is important.

Actors want to play cool, messed up, complex people.

Put yourself in their shoes, would you rather walk on stage or make an entrance?

That's the point.
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                              X