Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #31
EdFury

Default Re: Amazon Studios

Amazon's open submission policy isn't coming back. It's dead. An experiment that was a multimillion dollar failure. All it did was prove to them that the studio submission policies were the only way to go.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #32
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Amazon's open submission policy isn't coming back. It's dead. An experiment that was a multimillion dollar failure. All it did was prove to them that the studio submission policies were the only way to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWOlmPFg2k
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #33
spyder23

Alright, so check it.

I wanted to wait a week and hit-up another AS chat member to see if I got the same answer.

Bottom line: he told me the same thing the girl did last week. AS are definitely still reviewing old submissions as long as you never got a rejection email.

Usually the CS reps replies are canned/stock responses but one thing I found interesting was that he did elaborate a little by adding "Yup, there's been a delay in the team providing their decisions. Just be patient and they will reach out to you with an email."

Agree with EdFury, their policy is not coming back, but for anyone with projects still with them when they closed up submission shop, they're still looking at them. Both of mine are now at 16 months.
spyder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #34
JRJB
New User

Is anyone still waiting to hear back on their submissions to Amazon Studios?
JRJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #35
ClintW3
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJB View Post
Is anyone still waiting to hear back on their submissions to Amazon Studios?

Yes. I have a TV pilot that has been in the DECIDING phase since February. About once a month I email customer service and get "they're still going through the stack" response.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #36
JRJB
New User

Thanks for replying, ClintW3. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #37
Hpinski
New User

I'm still waiting to hear as well. Submitted a TV pilot in January. Best of luck to everyone in the stack!
Hpinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #38
docgonzo

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but why is anyone bothering to wait on this? It's dead, and has been a long time. Just forget it and move on.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #39
JRJB
New User

Just curious. First post.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #40
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but why is anyone bothering to wait on this? It's dead, and has been a long time. Just forget it and move on.
I agree. For those who do have hope, think of it as a waiting game just like any other submission you make. Days turn into weeks turn into months.

My database has an automatic day counter to keep track, but I've learned to stop waiting after Day 1, and I move right on to new opportunities.

I've even stopped doing follow-ups; honestly, why bother?

This approach helps me to keep my eye on the ball: Writing, marketing, polishing, and repeat. Meanwhile, if I get a pleasant surprise from a past submission, great!

Speaking of Amazon Studios, I think a lot of us had probably become pretty dependent on it. I don't think I was alone in this dependency, and I realized the problem when I analyzed my marketing database recently. Since I track who the "last reader" is of each script, and because I had sent almost everything I'd written to A.S., their indicators polluted my data.

It's because, among similar sites, A.S. was actually "open submission", which is nowhere near the same as getting a "requested read" through the hard work of marketing/pitching/whatever.

Yet, in my database, all entries in the "Last Read" column were considered equal.

I had to fix that, so just two weeks ago I cleaned up my data to remove all A.S. references under each script record's "Last Read" column.

Well, the results were pretty depressing:

Some of my better scripts haven't actually received a genuine "read request" in years, despite the fact that I pitch everything constantly, even my golden oldies. It was a real eye opener to see which scripts had been "requested", without three quarters of them showing "Amazon Studios" (with dates from 2014-2018).

It was just another reminder of how hard it is to "get a read" these days.

Incidentally, in this column I do not count synopsis or first-10-pages requests, or any other sort of "open submission" system including contests or those few rep and producer websites out there that actually invite submissions, like A.S. did.

Yep, to get a "true picture" of where your marketing efforts stand, you have to be brutal.

I'm making changes as we speak, that's for sure.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote