Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a market for stoner comedies?

I have an idea for a stoner comedy thats been percolating the last couple of years. As I'm sure you know everybody wants high concept this high concept that.

American Ultra is coming out later in the summer. Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle made three flicks.

With marijuana becoming more lenient in the government and states legalizing the use, I'm just wondering if a manager or prod co. would be willing to take on this type of material? Or does it even matter what the subject matter is as long as it's great writing, story marketable, etc. Thanks.

Re: Is there a market for stoner comedies?

If you're excited to write a stoner comedy, write a stoner comedy.

Don't worry about what's hot or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
      If you're excited to write a stoner comedy, write a stoner comedy.

Don't worry about what's hot or not.
      This + 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by kingkong50 View Post
        American Ultra is coming out later in the summer. Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle made three flicks.
        You answered your own question. Obviously there's a market for them.
        If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
        Dave Barry

Comment

Is there a market for Harold and Kumar 4?

Sure. If it's Harold and Kumar 4, from the makers of Harold and Kumar starring at least one of the guys from Harold and Kumar.

Is there a market for stoner comedy spec--ah, that's a different scenario. My 2 cents is that you will have to find a way to differentiate it because people aren't buying the kinds of stoner comedies that you are talking about, as far as I know. You need to find a hook so that an executive can explain that, "no, this one's not like all those other stoner comedies, this one is different, and therefore they need to read it."

If you don't find a way to differentiate it, you will probably not get traction.

Comment

How's this for a hook:

Stoners meet Zombies -- and blend right in!

Late Night Writer.

Comment

STOMBIES!

Stonbies?

It's catchier than Zombeavers anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                STOMBIES!

Stonbies?

It's catchier than Zombeavers anyway.
                Zomboners. Wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                  Is there a market for Harold and Kumar 4?

Sure. If it's Harold and Kumar 4, from the makers of Harold and Kumar starring at least one of the guys from Harold and Kumar.

Is there a market for stoner comedy spec--ah, that's a different scenario. My 2 cents is that you will have to find a way to differentiate it because people aren't buying the kinds of stoner comedies that you are talking about, as far as I know. You need to find a hook so that an executive can explain that, "no, this one's not like all those other stoner comedies, this one is different, and therefore they need to read it."

If you don't find a way to differentiate it, you will probably not get traction.
                  Thank you for this feedback. If I was to say it's a world like Dodgeball and Beerfest, but smoking marijuana is a pivotal part of the story, but in a funny happy way can this be a hook that would excite executives?

Comment

Thank you for this feedback. If I was to say it's a world like Dodgeball and Beerfest, but smoking marijuana is a pivotal part of the story, but in a funny happy way can this be a hook that would excite executives?
                    I can't answer that question, I can only tell you what I personally am interested in or respond to.

I just wanted to give you something to think about that may prove useful...or not.

Comment

If I was to say it's a world like Dodgeball and Beerfest, but smoking marijuana is a pivotal part of the story, but in a funny happy way can this be a hook that would excite executives?
                      I'm not seeing the hook. Can you share the logline?

As with any genre or sub-genre, it's all in the execution. If your stoner comedy is genuinely and consistently funny, then it has just as much of a shot at gaining attention than any other style comedy.

Just avoid the obligatory scene in which someone unwittingly eats marijuana-laced edibles. It's been done far too many times.
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      15,000+ Screenplays
                      [email protected]

Comment

In your opinion, is this different from any other genre?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                          In your opinion, is this different from any other genre?
                          "Stoner Comedy" is a sub genre, and as such I think it gets a stronger immediate reaction from executives. If a junior says "I read a great comedy you need to read it--it's about bla-bla logline", then okay but frankly I think that if the junior says "I just read a great stoner comedy--" I think that may be as far as they get because a lot of executives are going to say no without hearing the rest of it and then you are already fighting an uphill battle.

Same thing is true of for example a "slasher horror" pic, or a "Serial Killer" pic--people will just say no out of the gate, you are already fighting an uphill battle because people perceive these sub genres in a certain way, which is that they are limited.

So, if nothing else, I wouldn't try to sell it as a "stoner comedy" even if it was one, and hopefully the execution would be so good that it could overcome the objections inherent to the sub genre.

Comment

So, if nothing else, I wouldn't try to sell it as a "stoner comedy" even if it was one, and hopefully the execution would be so good that it could overcome the objections inherent to the sub genre.
                            Makes sense. I guess that's sort of the approach I'm taking with a comedy right now, in that I am NOT calling it a "romantic comedy" although, in theory, you could ... just that phrase has too much baggage that doesn't fit.

Comment

There is at my house.

Comment

Working...
                              X