Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maybe I'm Just Not Talented Enough...

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    STEVE JOBS:

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    Dude... so much of what you say is EXACTLY how my mind works. Good point!
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      maybe look at it a different way. list out how much time you spent on EACH one alone?

you're clearly talented otherwise you wouldn't have the success you've had so far. modeling is a talent, too, right? i don't know if anything that i'm about to say applies, but...

maybe what you experience is the big let down AFTER the initial glowing reviews and immediate success that you soon get bored with what remains...

taking the time to focus and not give up, not switch to something else is challenging...

have you spent 10 years writing? have you spent 5 years being a manager?

maybe you're naturally interested and distracted by new things? that's not a bad thing, but it can cause problems if you don't realize that about yourself.

no, you may not have done each of these things at the same time, but some of them maybe? because you listed 8 things in 20 years which each alone would average 2.5 years. it takes the average writer a minimum of 10 years to break in, let alone try to sustain it once you arrive.

you are way ahead of the majority of people, so you have a choice-- stick with one for a while, or move onto the next one. but if you're changing your direction ever few years, you're never going to be satisfied. it's your life, do what makes you happy, but only AFTER you take an honest look at what you've achieved, how much time you've devoted and what you want.

i mean, everything i've ever read about screenwriting is that it is ALWAYS more rejection than success-- that's the reality.
      Could be part of it. It's true that with my stuff I tend to do very well initially then struggle. Example: I got signed to CAA fairly easily (but it wasn't nepotism, my name was not on the script). Sold the first show I ever wrote, landed my dream showrunners on it as well. FIRST SHOW! Got super close to getting my first show made.

So coming down from that stings.

Having said that, I've worked my ass off. I'm no pu$$y when it comes to doing the work. 12 hour writing days are status quo for me. 48 hour writing days are common for me. On a flat out insanity grind I'll do 72 hours straight through. The last hing I wrote in 48 hours, 135 pages. The only real not manager had was "It's too short. Thus make it a TV show."

POINT: Maybe I'm asking if anyone here has done it all. I mean literally nearly everything (like someone else suggested higher up in the post), and had success with that. I feel like many of us are WAITING for a YES that's never gonna come, especially in this ultra-risk averse market. Yet, I see those risky films being MADE.

Comment

I don't know how talented anyone here is (or how talented I am) but I do believe there are tons of untalented people working in all creative fields. Either they know the right people or they've made something that's marketable in some way.
        Last edited by DDoc; 08-22-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

The most powerful man in the world is the most untalented man in the world except if you count being the best con man of all time as a talent? But he's also the dumbest.

But yeah having the job does not make you good at the job -- see any workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
            I don't know how talented anyone here is (or how talented I am) but I do believe there are tons of untalented people working in all creative fields. Either they know the right people or they've made something that's marketable in some way.
            Originally posted by Bono View Post
            The most powerful man in the world is the most untalented man in the world except if you count being the best con man of all time as a talent? But he's also the dumbest.

But yeah having the job does not make you good at the job -- see any workplace.
            Gucci, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you really give a rat's ass about untalented people who make it in Hollywood. Fukk them.

I think you're concerned about why many talented people don't make it in Hollywood--or anywhere for that matter. On top of that you question your own talent.

Who doesn't question their talent? Rather than question your talent, I think, IMHO, you should concentrate on what's holding you back from your goal.

Comment

As my colleague says, "Donald Trump is President. We can do anything we set our mind too!- Let that sink in! You ARE good enough! Keep pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                There are a lot of these navel-gazing exercises going on here on DDPro these days, which are of no interest to me whatsoever.
                Swear, man... I pulled outta your post exactly right there. That line told me "anything beyond this is BULLSH!T." Swear to fukkin Gosh, I didn't read the remainder of your post. Unnecessary after that line.

What the hell is ***SCREENWRITING*** if it's not an exercise in navel-gazing? Perhaps everyone on this board GETS your POV on this, but I definitely do not. I'ma go so far as to say your POV against navel-gazing is absolutely fukking COUNTER to what screenwriting (and more specifically:STORY) IS.

Meaning: HUH??? WHAT???

You realize Charlie Kaufman's navel-gaze (ADAPTATION) is considered one of the best scripts EVER WRITTEN, yeah? It's number 77 on the WGA's list of 101 ALL TIME BEST SCREENPLAYS. It was up for Oscars/Globes etc. You ever been up for those accolades among your peers of world class folks? You ever sold anything to a studio? Honestly... have you? Ever been repped by someone legit? If not, why talk sh!t on me?

Fukk you think this (writing sh!t) is about? It is precisely the practice of navel-gazing in the most brutally honest of ways. You seem to think it's about... I have no fukkin clue?

Sorry, but this is THE oddest statement I've ever read about story telling in my entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
                  Gucci, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you really give a rat's ass about untalented people who make it in Hollywood. Fukk them.

I think you're concerned about why many talented people don't make it in Hollywood--or anywhere for that matter. On top of that you question your own talent.

Who doesn't question their talent? Rather than question your talent, I think, IMHO, you should concentrate on what's holding you back from your goal.
                  You're probably right.

This thread was inspired by someone I think is talented (maybe more talented than me) but isn't repped. So, I'm like WTF? Which, yeah, that makes me question my own talent (or lack of).

Writers are emotional creatures. I get that. We look for logical reasons we aren't where we want to be career-wise.

But, the other side of me knows: AFTER YOU REACH A CERTAIN LEVEL OF QUALITY IT'S "WHICHEVER WAY THE WIND BLOWS ON THAT DAY."

So, we have zero control after we cross that threshold. We can merely write and see what happens with it.

I'm positive of this because I've seen (first hand) so many HIT FILMS almost not sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Splendor View Post
                    As my colleague says, "Donald Trump is President. We can do anything we set our mind too!- Let that sink in! You ARE good enough! Keep pushing.
                    Ha! Right???

Comment

That's the most frustrating part of this business. It's that sometimes you're good enough, hell maybe better than others at what they do, but you can't break in. Luck and timing is key.

Unlike sports, you can't earn your way onto the Hollywood team. You show up. You get naked. They touch your balls or lady balls and every 1000th person gets a reach around and moves up a level.

We should all be dentists!

Comment

I agree with Bono up-thread. Go make your own movie. It would bring many of your passions together into one project and you have enough connections in the biz to make it happen. Go get that real estate license and make the 500K a year you talked about in another thread, keep 100 K to live on and use the other 400K to finance your own indie film. You will have the time of your life.

Boom, problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                          I agree with Bono up-thread. Go make your own movie. It would bring many of your passions together into one project and you have enough connections in the biz to make it happen. Go get that real estate license and make the 500K a year you talked about in another thread, keep 100 K to live on and use the other 400K to finance your own indie film. You will have the time of your life.

Boom, problem solved
                          I'm seriously considering it.

Although, I would only spend 100k of my own money and work angles to get other investors to match me. BOOM! There's my 500k. ;-)

But, I promise you this... that script would NOT be 199 pages. It'd be 99 pages max. Just like that, I cut 100 pages. LOL

Comment

But which one of your 1000 scripts would you pick?

Comment

Originally posted by Lahlowen View Post
                              Well, it's one thing to have multiple interests, but being a "jack of all trades but master of none" is a tough thing.
                              All omphaloskepsis aside, GucciGhost, take the following to heart; here’s the rest of that old saying:

“A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”
                              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Or just be Bo Jackson. He was good at everything. Even could play an instrument.

Comment

Working...
                                X