Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ridley Scott talks Prometheus *spoilers*

I just picked up the DVD from my local library, having no idea what the movie was about. I was thrilled when I realized it was a prequel to Alien, one of my favorite movie series! Since I had no expectations what-so-ever, I really enjoyed the movie for what it was. Expectations and listening to hype always sets me up for a let-down. Glad I missed all that for Promethus! One thing that struck me, having seen Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Promethus recently - Man, will robots ever be "good" in these sci-fi movies? They're all sneaky traitors! (excluding Star Wars C3PO and R2D2, of course!)

Last edited by meemee2000; 05-25-2013, 07:35 AM.
    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000 View Post
      One thing that struck me, having seen Alien, 2001: A Space Odyseey, and Promethus recently - Man, will robots ever be "good" in these sci-fi movies? They're all sneaky traitors! (excluding Star Wars C3PO and R2D2, of course!)
      Ash, Hal and David were just following their directives. It's not their fault they were programmed by humans who were prepared to murder other humans in order to achieve shady objectives. That's like blaming a kettle for boiling water.

Comment

More examples of computers going awry: I Robot, The Matrix (they took over the whole freakin' world), Eagle Eye, Terminator series, Blade Runner, From Stephen King's Dark Tower series - Blaine the Mono (a computer that was crazy and needed Prozac) and Andy the messenger robot. Man, there are a lot of them! They could be their own genre.

BTW, there is an interesting theory I recently read that Hal (Space Odyssey) was killing off the humans because he wanted to beat mankind to the monolith and, therefore, allow computers to have the next big evolution. (Appearance of the monolith always signified a big development.) It's just a theory but is interesting because I always wondered why the astronauts were sent to Jupiter to check out the monolith if Hal was supposed to just kill them before they got there. It just didn't make sense to me that Hal was told to kill them. Him being a traitor makes all the pieces fall into place...sneaky robot!

Sorry to diverge from the topic! Back to Prometheus...
        Last edited by meemee2000; 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000 View Post
          BTW, there is an interesting theory I recently read that Hal (Space Odyssey) was killing off the humans because he wanted to beat mankind to the monolith and, therefore, allow computers to have the next big evolution. (Appearance of the monolith always signified a big development.) It's just a theory but is interesting because I always wondered why the astronauts were sent to Jupiter to check out the monolith if Hal was supposed to just kill them before they got there. It just didn't make sense to me that Hal was told to kill them.
          More derail, apologies. It's been a while, but I thought it was stated in the sequel, 2010: Odyssey Two, that HAL was driven to a state of near-psychosis by the fact its "protect your human crew" programming conflicted with its "investigate the source of the signal from Europa" directive, which had priority. What's a machine to do but get rid of the nagging distraction of the human crew (I can't endanger them! I must endanger them!) so it can concentrate on its priority mission. To me that was a much more interesting twist than someone back on Earth giving HAL a kill order.

Comment

In the real world there are a lot of scientist who believe that robots will be our real off spring. I think, given our advances in genetics that it could be a race. Genetically we can advance our mental abilities to out pace robotic brains. We're only now really mapping the human brain in real time through MRI technologies. We can also reengineer ourselves genetically to live longer, much longer. We probably will turn out like the Star Trek borg. A mixture of implants and genetic inhancements. I posit that just wearing eye glasses and or contacts makes one a cyborg.

Comment

Well, I for one, look forward to the day scientists make cyborgs that truly look human. I'm gonna make mine look like The Rock! Just watched Fast & Furious 6 today. That is one handsome man! Hopefully Cyborg Rock won't turn on me and kill me like these other movie robots, but it'll be worth the risk! LOL

Comment

Working...
              X