No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCARE ME!!! contest

SCARE ME! ! !
    For posterity, the entries thread is here.
    Introducing... a wicked new
    writing exercise
    8 pages or less, screenplay format,
    on a theme or topic or
    idea inspired by the contest title: Scare Me

More details to arrive,
    shout out if you are up
    for a bit of scary writing,
    it's not Halloween, however,
    after Valentine's became a bit
    of a damp day on Brighton Pier,
    perhaps something else,
    to get your fangs into would suit?

We want former writers, new writers,
    first-time-outers, cats, dogs,
    anybody or thing
    that can pick up a pencil.

Last edited by dpaterso; 04-05-2017, 10:08 PM. Reason: eating cake.
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Re: SCARE ME !!!!!!!!!!!! [Writing Exercise]

~if you felt too hung over or encumbered with the long-lasting mince pie fatigue syndrome, or merely too strained around the buckle after Christmas to manage Valentine's, if there's not even a romantic bent in your verbal vent, then this one may be for you?

Our first question is in!

What's a "verbal vent" please?

Our answer:

Shut up and ask another question?
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Anybody who is interested please pipe up, we've not set dates yet, it's just a spooky story, or thriller, very wide ambit, to your liking, enter 8 pages of screenplay, by pdf, but we need people to shout out to assess who is up for this first of all?

Comment

Piping up! Yes. I'm in.

Comment

Got an idea for this.
          I will say in.

Shall we do the head count first and if 50% of that is more than say 5-6, we go ahead?
          Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by 14001 View Post
            Got an idea for this.
            I will say in.

Shall we do the head count first and if 50% of that is more than say 5-6, we go ahead?

Yes, that's what I had in mind, we do a severed head count first, I mean a head count, before we begin, I'm thinking guys, around 10 people required: we can then lose around 2, but let's see.

I'm not going to set dates or deadlines until we get more shouts of 'I'm in!'.

This can be horror, or a thriller, or just an unsettling atmosphere, any other ideas on what SCARE ME! might be interpreted as, post up by all means, to give other writers an idea... or way in to a story.

Comment

So what does unsettling mean to you?

My thoughts:

You have just bought a new plot of land, deep in the countryside, having taken a walk late afternoon, you are at the edge of a field, looking out at the distant woods, you feel that something is out there, it, if "it" is an "it", but something seems to be watching you. . . or is it just a sense of foreboding, is something is out there and coming for you?

It's an old house, deep in the back country, you have the keys, the basement door is locked, and a few of the rooms upstairs seem to be locked, you haven't been given the keys.

That night you sit at the kitchen table, there's a large moon over the fields through the window, upstairs you here a rattling, you head up the stairs, along a dark hallway and into a small room, the casement on a window is open and every so often, it rattles in the wind, you approach the window and stare out, you see the moon, a few clouds drift over it, wisps really, coiling and obscuring the light, suddenly there's a BOOM, you're sure it came from the large oak door which is the entrance to the house

. . . you run down the stairs missing every other step... when you get to the front door, the internal panelling has been fractured by the impact of what feels like an inhuman amount of force... upstairs, you hear scuttling sounds, it sounds like a small animal running around up there, you glance sideways and note that your shot gun is leaning up against the wall. . .

~just some scene-setting to get us up and thinking

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
                So what does unsettling mean to you?

My thoughts:

You have just bought a new plot of land, deep in the countryside, having taken a walk late afternoon, you are at the edge of a field, looking out at the distant woods, you feel that something is out there, it, if "it" is an "it", but something seems to be watching you. . . or is it just a sense of foreboding, is something is out there and coming for you?

It's an old house, deep in the back country, you have the keys, the basement door is locked, and a few of the rooms upstairs seem to be locked, you haven't been given the keys.

That night you sit at the kitchen table, there's a large moon over the fields through the window, upstairs you here a rattling, you head up the stairs, along a dark hallway and into a small room, the casement on a window is open and every so often, it rattles in the wind, you approach the window and stare out, you see the moon, a few clouds drift over it, wisps really, coiling and obscuring the light, suddenly there's a BOOM, you're sure it came from the large oak door which is the entrance to the house

. . . you run down the stairs missing every other step... when you get to the front door, the internal panelling has been fractured by the impact of what feels like an inhuman amount of force... upstairs, you hear scuttling sounds, it sounds like a small animal running around up there, you glance sideways and note that your shot gun is leaning up against the wall. . .

~just some scene-setting to get us up and thinking
                Should that be everyones set up? I like it, a common theme and see where the madness takes us.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I like the Scare Me general theme, it can lead to really crazy scripts.
                  Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    Should that be everyones set up? I like it, a common theme and see where the madness takes us.
                    I think that was as much as anything just chance, or an accident that I provided those examples....I kind of thought, okay, so what could SCARE ME! include, but then instead of leaving it really wide, went with a play on atmosphere, tension, fear... I quite like the word fear in that last sentence, stands alone and out from the rest somehow, and even, "unsettling"... but guys, I didn't want to limit anybody and say, use those introductions of mine to write.
                    I had an idea after that to focus in on one element, for a script, and just build tension around it. Imay run with that, it's a bit of a test of how much I can get out of one detail, object, or scene... without giving it away.

Up to you, but I quite like the idea of an emphasis on tension, terror or fear, the uncanny, the unsettling, the supernatural. If we could bring those impressions to the surface, try to write to bring out goosebumps in the reader, send them towards a place or into a situation that they wish to pause or step back from every so often?

Comment

Originally posted by 14001 View Post
                      I like the Scare Me general theme, it can lead to really crazy scripts.
                      exactly.

Comment

Okay, I know we'll get Dpat in, so that's to date ............Pike, Dpat, 14001, Southern, Road Warrior, so far, that's FIVE lunatics.

We want more, only the mad may step forward, if you aren't mad just yet and feeling terribly sane, then get practicing, madness lifes within reach for everybody.

We want 8 entrants........... hey.... or why not 10 entrants, huh, you can write just 3 or 4 pages if you like, so................. we don't run with this until more noise, discussions and 'I'm ins!" appear below, but we can all begin to sketch and write ideas down now of course, don't wait. No immediate time pressure though.

BTW: I don't know where SCARE ME! came from, out of the ether, so I take absolutely no credit for it, it was the universe that told me to post that up as a competition prompt, it's good though I think, there must be people wanting to jump in on this out there, so declare yourselves, don't think about it, or overthink it, just jump in.

Comment

Five more sign-ups please... go ahead and list your names below:

WARNING: We have the hell-hounds that pursue and eat writers and especially writers who don't flag their presence and participate in competitions like this one... for some resaon.... who knows why, evil has its reasons I guess. And further, yes, they will be released if you don't show up. They particularly like to bite at a writer's a$$, so please do yourself a favour and avoid this fate. In only a week's time...if you have not revealed yourself, I will instruct Dpat to unlock the pen. It's a cage of sorts really, you know... the standard 16 feet by 16 feet type of thing, covered in green moss and slime and situated in a deep wet pit in a forest glade; the dogs are rarely fed, but they are always hungry for human flesh, they like writers more than most other humans and can uncannily smell them from thousands of miles away. They don't leave much behind, a toe, a finger maybe, not even that and don't think that locking the door will work, come morning they will be out on the lawn, waiting for you, yep- all three of them, red-eyed and chilling in their fiendishness!

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 02-18-2017, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Let's try to get 10, assuming 50% will drop.

Comment

How are we going?

Comment

Working...
                              X