Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personal websites -- a braggarts tool?

New Year's Resolution #1 down. My website is live. Nothing special, though I think it looks nice. Using Wix.com templates and can't figure out how to change the drop down menu from black font to, say white.

Unfortunately, when you click on the screenplay tab, then drop down to Tracker, the other two 'seem' to disappear, because the three scripts listed all have a black background which is the same color as the font of the drop down menu. It doesn't appear that I can change the font color on the drop down menu. The site is designed as an easy drag n drop template. And I don't think I can edit it in CSS.

It's a start. Even have a couple of idiotic blog posts.

~Happy New Year~
    FA4
    www.lisamolusis.com
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      New Year's Resolution #1 down. My website is live. Nothing special, though I think it looks nice. Using Wix.com templates and can't figure out how to change the drop down menu from black font to, say white.

Unfortunately, when you click on the screenplay tab, then drop down to Tracker, the other two 'seem' to disappear, because the three scripts listed all have a black background which is the same color as the font of the drop down menu. It doesn't appear that I can change the font color on the drop down menu. The site is designed as an easy drag n drop template. And I don't think I can edit it in CSS.

It's a start. Even have a couple of idiotic blog posts.

~Happy New Year~
      FA4
      www.lisamolusis.com
      Your drop downs are white BG and black font and work fine. But you don't have the actual screenplays online? Or even some pages from them?
      wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

Originally posted by wrytnow View Post
        Your drop downs are white BG and black font and work fine. But you don't have the actual screenplays online? Or even some pages from them?
        Funny, I figured out how to change the background on the drop down box, though I can't remember how now. It isn't visible yet in Google Chrome, but seems to work in Safari and IE.

I don't want to load the full scripts. Haven't considered listing a few pages...

On my contact page, I do suggest that if anyone wants to read the specs that they contact me that way. I'm happy to send it to industry professionals, I just don't want to give access to the public.

It's a simple site. Do you think having the first page of each spec might be helpful? I don't know.

FA4
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

They are very helpful. Nothing fancy. My manager uses it, referring producers to it, for the bio. I use it so people can get an idea who I am and what I have done. And the Testimonial page helps by offering opinions by people I've worked with.... And now, after a push from my manager and a producer I'm working with, I have new blog, which is getting a little positive attention.

I find it has been well worth it.

bobsaenz.com

Comment

Slick site, Lisa. Look forward to reading your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
              Slick site, Lisa. Look forward to reading your posts.
              Thanks so much, that's nice.
              FA4

Post Edit: Just uploaded my favicon, kinda cool that I have one now. It's a letter "M" typewriter key.
              Last edited by finalact4; 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM. Reason: Added content

Comment

I'm still dragging my heels on a website or blog. I've actually written several blog entries in advance under the concept of "The Hatless Writer" and I'm thinking of using a pen name. I've yet to go live, though.

One of my issues is the freelance work I do including copywriting and ghostwriting. In the last two years, I've done a number of white papers, too. Toss in prose fiction plus the screenwriting aspirations -- all of them, different niches.

Add to this, some of my best freelance samples -- clients have had me sign nondisclosure contracts. Some specifically state I can't use their projects in my portfolio.

If I use my given name I know my more conservative clients may have issue with the topics I may choose to blog about. Or, opinions. Or some fiction and script samples. Or, even other companies they see as their competitors. In the past, some have let me know they've googled me to see "who you are and who you worked for."

Sheesh. any suggestions are welcome.
                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Lisa/Finalact4 - I think you're off to a great start, and enjoyed your blogposts. Looking forward to seeing more.

Keep up the good work!
                  http://maximumz.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzeidman View Post
                    Lisa/Finalact4 - I think you're off to a great start, and enjoyed your blogposts. Looking forward to seeing more.

Keep up the good work!
                    Thank you, Paul, and it looks like you've had a really amazing year. Here's to more of the same in the future!

Best,
                    FA4

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                      I'm still dragging my heels on a website or blog. I've actually written several blog entries in advance under the concept of "The Hatless Writer" and I'm thinking of using a pen name. I've yet to go live, though.

One of my issues is the freelance work I do including copywriting and ghostwriting. In the last two years, I've done a number of white papers, too. Toss in prose fiction plus the screenwriting aspirations -- all of them, different niches.

Add to this, some of my best freelance samples -- clients have had me sign nondisclosure contracts. Some specifically state I can't use their projects in my portfolio.

If I use my given name I know my more conservative clients may have issue with the topics I may choose to blog about. Or, opinions. Or some fiction and script samples. Or, even other companies they see as their competitors. In the past, some have let me know they've googled me to see "who you are and who you worked for."

Sheesh. any suggestions are welcome.
                      Complicated situation. I've been back-reading Doug Richardson's blog a lot lately, and the man's got a knack for covering his tracks, so he can speak frankly about the s--t he's been through, while not publicly shaming anyone involved. I don't know if the same will work for you, but it's a thought.

I would suggest not tackling all areas of writing in one blog. I've tried to keep up with blogs like that before, where the writer talked about everything from short stories to novels to screenplays to his day job (I want to say finance or marketing or something, don't remember). He had some good posts, but there was no common theme, so it was a lot of hit-and-miss as far as what posts actually interested me.

YMMV, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                        I would suggest not tackling all areas of writing in one blog. I've tried to keep up with blogs like that before, where the writer talked about everything from short stories to novels to screenplays to his day job (I want to say finance or marketing or something, don't remember). He had some good posts, but there was no common theme, so it was a lot of hit-and-miss as far as what posts actually interested me.

YMMV, obviously.
                        Yep. I thought about that a long time. My solution is to avoid writing any How-To posts or writing tips in any of those areas. Especially not in the area of copywriting/marketing. There are millions of those blogs. The focus is more on the writer experience, common to all writers, from a personal perspective.

Truth is, I'm looking for a sneaky way to showcase my own voice. I find myself reading blogs outside of my interest areas just because I like the bloggers' voice and find their POV on different subjects intriguing and entertaining. I'll probably give it a shot with a pen name and see where it goes.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Depend on your approach I guess.

For me, having produced a mock teaser to help sell my first screenplay, I had little choice other than to have a simple site to host the teaser.

http://www.surefirefilms.com

PERSONALITY PLUS:

https://www.blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/13851

Logline: FBI Agent Harry Stringer knows that Peter Franks has abducted his daughter Jen. The problem? Franks has multiple personality disorder and only one persona knows where Jen is. Stringer infiltrates the worlds of Franks' identities and finds that a rogue CIA agent is using another persona in an arms deal.

Comment

If anyone is interested in setting up a serious personal site, I might be able to help out (I'm a busy guy). This has definitely piqued my curiosity.

For reference, I've been in the IT industry for over two decades as a software developer. I'm currently a consultant and have done work for some of the major corporations.

I do have my own personal website, which has got nothing to do with screenwriting, but shows an example of a data driven site. It's also highly interactive (you can click on just about any map for info).

Oh, and it works best on newer browsers and javascript needs to be enabled.

http://www.paleostation.com/

Comment

As a follow up I wanted to mention that I was contacted by a writer/director who's interested in developing screenplays and read about one of my specs on The Black List. He must have googled me, because he contacted me through my website.

I remember Lauri Donahue mentioning that she's gotten work off her site, so you never know.

At least the system seems to work, right?
                              Best,
                              FA4

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                                Yep. I thought about that a long time. My solution is to avoid writing any How-To posts or writing tips in any of those areas. Especially not in the area of copywriting/marketing. There are millions of those blogs. The focus is more on the writer experience, common to all writers, from a personal perspective.

Truth is, I'm looking for a sneaky way to showcase my own voice. I find myself reading blogs outside of my interest areas just because I like the bloggers' voice and find their POV on different subjects intriguing and entertaining. I'll probably give it a shot with a pen name and see where it goes.
                                I kind of use my blog just to share the personal anecdotes of an aspiring. I found, however, that those posts amounted to a lot of bitching about rejections and feeling bad about myself. Because, in all honesty, that's a lot of what a writer's experience is. I also write about my learning curve as I write; contests, methods, personal writing discoveries, etc.

I don't know how blogging works as a marketing tool. I've met a few fellow writers/bloggers through my blog, but it hasn't garnered all that much attention. Of course, I don't really market it. I didn't even tag posts with keywords until this year.

Keep us updated on your progress and whether or not it helps you at all.
                                http://cgusmannletters.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X