Help - Looking for a good message board on prose fiction (novels and short stories)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Looking for a good message board on prose fiction (novels and short stories)

Recently somebody mentioned in a thread he/she was a member of a forum similar to DDP that dealt with novel writing. I forgot to bookmark the thread so I couldn't contact the forum member to ask about it.

Could anybody make a recommendation of a good message board about prose fiction writing?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
    Recently somebody mentioned in a thread he/she was a member of a forum similar to DDP that dealt with novel writing. I forgot to bookmark the thread so I couldn't contact the forum member to ask about it.

Could anybody make a recommendation of a good message board about prose fiction writing?

Thanks.
    The Absolute Write forums are for novel writing what DD is for screenwriting -- the best.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/

And I bet Derek P. will back me up on that.

Comment

Re: Help - Looking for a good message board on prose...

Thanks! I'll check that one out.

Comment

Looking for a good message board on prose fiction

And Backspace forums are usually very good. A bit quiet, on and off, but some excellent resources and old posts, as well as some very successful authors online.

Does seem to be leaning more towards self-published authors but they're mindful of that, and seem to be trying to regain some balance.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

Help - Looking for a good message board on prose fiction (novels and short stories)

I should probably check these out since I'm working on a novella right now. Do they give feedback on pages like we do here? I've had some people I know read pages but I probably could use a ice-cold read.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Re: Help Looking for a good message board on prose fiction (novels and short stories)

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
            I should probably check these out since I'm working on a novella right now. Do they give feedback on pages like we do here? I've had some people I know read pages but I probably could use a ice-cold read.
            Absolute Write does have a feedback forum but you have to have a certain number of posts before you can put up your own pages. They want you to be a contributing member of the site, not just pop in and get feedback.

Comment

Re: Looking for a good message board on prose fiction (novels and short stories)

Nathan Bransford has an active blog with great posts in the archives on writing, finding an agent, etc. Strong on current trends in self-publishing.

There's also a forum on the site for discussion, doesn't seem as active as the one at Absolute Write but some useful info there too.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                Yes. And there are various sub-forums for different genres. Some are more active than others but the dominant genres are very active.

You need 50 posts to put up your own work for feedback in the Share Your Work (SYW), but that doesn't take long if you offer critiques for others.

They have an absolute rule: Respect your fellow writer, so though some feedback can be harsh, it's generally well-intentioned. You can get lots of great notes from a good group of folks. Lots of pros post there and the forums are active night and day.

SYW is password protected and only open to members so your work is protected.

Their Screenwriting sub-forum, however, is pathetic but that's because just about everyone is over here.

Comment

Re: H Looking for a good message board on prose fiction

Backspace has a feedback subforum. There's no minimum post requirement but it's polite to hang around for a bit to chat before posting anything. Spend some time looking around first - some really excellent resources there and access to some very successful authors (commercial and literary).
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Thanks guys.
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Re: Help - Looking for a good message board on prose fiction (novels and short

David Farland's Writers' Groups used to be an excellent resource for workshop-type feedback. I say "used to be" because I haven't been there in a few years so I don't know how active it still is (you can't see much if you're not logged in).

http://farlandswritersgroups.com/
                      "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                      Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Re: Help - Looking for a good message board on prose fiction (novels and short

Also check out Writer Unboxed, which is frequented by agent Donald Maass. They have an active community on Facebook as well.

http://writerunboxed.com/
                        "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                        Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Re: Looking for a good message board on prose fiction

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                          And Backspace forums are usually very good. A bit quiet, on and off, but some excellent resources and old posts, as well as some very successful authors online.

Does seem to be leaning more towards self-published authors but they're mindful of that, and seem to be trying to regain some balance.
                          I second the recommendation of Backspace. Lots of publishing knowledge there.

~Dixon

Comment

Working...
                          X