Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help going from film to TV

I found myself with a story that was perfect for TV - where the character growth and plot points need far more than what a film can provide. As my story requires a lot of set up, I wanted a 90 minute pilot but my then manager said they're not done these days so I tried to squeeze it down to 60 pages but the closest I got was 70. And I need help.

It's a fish-out-of water tale of redemption - my protag gets offered the chance to make amends by completing a task and it finishes with him being defeating the villain but discovering the network is still alive. This sets up him staying around and the following episodes and of course is pivotal in tempting viewers to tune in again - or in the screenwriting sense, enable an exec to see its potential and give the green light.

Like I said, it needs a lot of set up and act 1 (in the 3-act sense - even though TV splits that into 5 acts) is 23 pages and has absolutely zero fat. This, obviously, leads to a rushed act 2.

It seems to me, I can either write it as a film - which would allow me to tell the story perfectly (but robs the chance to explore the characters further) or I can continue as a pilot but end it an a crucial point, effectively splitting it over 2 episodes instead of 1. But there's no give on the opening 23 pages.

Thoughts?
    M.A.G.A.

Re: Help going from film to TV

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    I found myself with a story that was perfect for TV - where the character growth and plot points need far more than what a film can provide. As my story requires a lot of set up, I wanted a 90 minute pilot but my then manager said they're not done these days so I tried to squeeze it down to 60 pages but the closest I got was 70. And I need help.

It's a fish-out-of water tale of redemption - my protag gets offered the chance to make amends by completing a task and it finishes with him being defeating the villain but discovering the network is still alive. This sets up him staying around and the following episodes and of course is pivotal in tempting viewers to tune in again - or in the screenwriting sense, enable an exec to see its potential and give the green light.

Like I said, it needs a lot of set up and act 1 (in the 3-act sense - even though TV splits that into 5 acts) is 23 pages and has absolutely zero fat. This, obviously, leads to a rushed act 2.

It seems to me, I can either write it as a film - which would allow me to tell the story perfectly (but robs the chance to explore the characters further) or I can continue as a pilot but end it an a crucial point, effectively splitting it over 2 episodes instead of 1. But there's no give on the opening 23 pages.

Thoughts?
    without having actually read it, the phrase that stands out to me is "it needs a lot of set up and Act 1." any time i have thought that about my own stuff, it usually meant i just needed to get into the story later and/or chuck the backstory/exposition

if what's important to you in telling this story as a TV series with a pilot episode is exploring the character, just throw the character into events without all the setup. show us who the character is through their actions and choices in response to situations.

Comment

So splitting the story over two episodes is not a good idea?
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

I suggest you find a pilot of a show similar in concept to yours and study how that pilot is structured.

I'm with Joe that the phrase "it needs a lot of set up" jumps out at me as a possible red flag. his suggestions are spot on.

Comment

Just my opinion, but...Unlike a film, you don't have to solve the puzzle. It's about determining what pieces need to be shown for the pilot to work. You might find some of that 23 pages could be revealed later. If it is essential to move the story forward, then it should stay. Otherwise...Writing is the fun part, while rewriting can be agonizing. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dcribbs View Post
            Just my opinion, but...Unlike a film, you don't have to solve the puzzle. It's about determining what pieces need to be shown for the pilot to work. You might find some of that 23 pages could be revealed later. If it is essential to move the story forward, then it should stay. Otherwise...Writing is the fun part, while rewriting can be agonizing. Good luck!
            That's just it - the stuff is essential. I can't just drop the protag in it and expect the audience to know what's going on. Add to this the 5 act TV structure is:

Act 1: p1 to p6
            Act 2: p7 to p20
            Act 3: p21 to 32
            Act 4: p33 to p41
            Act 5: p42 to p55

And that act 1 & 2 are usually combined to equal the 1st act of the 3 act structure and you'll see practically there:

Act 1: p1 to p6
            Act 2: p7 to p22
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

That's just it - the stuff is essential. I can't just drop the protag in it and expect the audience to know what's going on.
              counterargument: the opening to Breaking Bad's pilot does exactly this and (for me) totally grabs the viewer by the throat. you have no idea how these two idiots got into the situation but by the end of the scene you desperately have to know.

yes, it then backtracks from there to fill out the story of how they did get to that point but would it have been as engaging if Vince Gilligan had stuck to a 100% linear plot? i'd argue no.

there's almost always another way to skin the cat

Comment

That is a very good point you make about Breaking Bad diving straight into the action. The problem as I see it is that whether I am 100% linear or not, the same information has got to come out so whichever way you slice it, those initial 22 pages aren't going anywhere.
                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Kill your darlings.

You can't stubbornly cling to the fact that the first 22 are sacrosanct. You will get no where.

Instead, think of a teaser/cold open that is maybe 3 pages and could give us just a piece of what we have to have but maybe leaves enough out to keep us wanting more.

Then Act 1 and 2 get cut a tiny amount each and you are fine. You will still be under 60 pages and it can go out that way.

I have a 5pg and a 3pg teaser on my two pilots with pg counts of 58 and 63 and nobody mentioned page count or specificity of structure. They either liked the material or didn't.

The key on a pilot is just telling the story you have to tell in 60 pages ish and getting someone to fall in love with it. Because let's face it. It's either for staffing, in which case who cares if page count ain't spot on, or a prod co/showrunner will want it and it's going to get rewritten. So I say split the 22 up however fits best for you and just roll with it.
                  Eric
                  www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Wonderfully clear, concise advice in this thread. Kudos to the OP and the responders.

Comment

TV writing is a very different art form. During a recent notes session, I read a TV pilot that was obviously written by a guy that came from feature film writing - the giveaway being in the first five page set up. I'd also recommend getting some pilot scripts for shows that closest match yours and see how they structured it. Good luck!

That is a very good point you make about Breaking Bad diving straight into the action. The problem as I see it is that whether I am 100% linear or not, the same information has got to come out so whichever way you slice it, those initial 22 pages aren't going anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X