Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright

"Also bidding was PalmStar’s Kevin Frakes, who offered $4M for the Landis script and committed to a total budget around $60M."
    Hmm...

"Netflix made it easier by ensuring they would be compensated as they would have with a hit movie. CAA packaged the deal, repping Ayer, Smith, Edgerton and Newman. WME repped Landis in the script deal. Landis is managed by Writ Large."
    Hmm…

And he got 3 mil guaranteed? I'm not convinced he didn't get screwed on that deal to fluff up 'fancy names' deals.

I'll bet you *one million dollars* talk behind the scenes was not about servicing the writer. What kind of pressure was he under to play nice and take the 3 mil? And from whom? I'd love to know all the promise made.
    DOPE CITY

Re: Bright

It was 4 million for just the script and no package. Landis wanted Ayer so he went with Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
      It was 4 million for just the script and no package. Landis wanted Ayer so he went with Netflix.
      You sure about that? That's the only way he was getting Ayer? I bet that's what he was told.

That other million got eaten up by _______. Guess who.

TIP: Take the money every time. Everything else will work itself out.
      DOPE CITY

Comment

I don't think it's that simple. The last 2 Landis films flopped, and you got Ayer and Smith onboard at Netflix for the not paltry 3 million plus (not flat 3 mill you quoted). Yeah you could go with the 4 million but it seems greedy and Landis already has a controversial relationship with Hollywood. Better to be a team player to get your film through the system faster

Comment

If you say so. Spoken like a true writer (i.e. bend over -- insert here). Btw - I never quoted the deal at, in your words "a flat 3 mil."

[these next words will piss off the trolls.]

I've been at the other end of the phone on a deal like that [making the deal], so I understand the bullshit calls one is getting. The pressure from the [BIG BOYS] to take the lesser deal to be a team player [it's like the mob calling you, subtext, we'll break your legs, take the deal. That's what it feels like. It's scary. No question]. I had that convo [argument?] with my partner. Ultimately we said fvck that, pay us and the writer what the IP is worth. We still got the movie made with a big fancy director/stars. It was still a hit. And we commissioned all of it, even the bonuses… zero regrets [i.e. gave zero fvcks].

That's the thing about this town. You'll feel like you're fvcking people over and not being a team player -- because you will get plenty of those calls from the heads of ____ insisting you are not while that high profile deal is going down. Meanwhile, every last person in this town but YOU will take the money. People will absolutely be pissed if you do. But here's the other thing -- "they will get over it in a month" [my exact words to my partner]. And you'll fold them all back into the deal anyway [which is what we did. nobody left the project. not one person].

TIP: Always take the money. Whatever amount you turn down is going into someone else's pocket on said deal. Promise. And nobody will leave, they'll only threaten to.

ps… or perhaps there is a progress to production clause making the guarantee [potentially] higher, making it the better of the two deals. I'd like to know.

Bottom line: With any magical deal you should take the highest payday. Because: it will likely never ever ever repeat itself. Been there done that.
          Last edited by surftatboy; 03-26-2016, 09:06 AM.
          DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
          X