Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managers Feedback

Hi everyone, I have had two managers read my material and so far I'm getting back confusing feedback. One manager loved my voice, but didn't feel like the script was quite ready and the other "didn't have enough of an affinity towards the plot to pursue it further" This same script got read by a development person who thought my structure and narrative were strong. Also, got strong feedback from a working writer. There seems to be a disparity between reps and the general consensus. Am I missing something?

Re: Managers Feedback

One of the best and most useful comments I ever received in response to a script (and among the first, thankfully, very early in my writing career) was:

"Reading is a subjective thing"

Comment

Originally posted by etwriter View Post
      Hi everyone, I have had two managers read my material and so far I'm getting back confusing feedback. One manager loved my voice, but didn't feel like the script was quite ready and the other "didn't have enough of an affinity towards the plot to pursue it further" This same script got read by a development person who thought my structure and narrative were strong. Also, got strong feedback from a working writer. There seems to be a disparity between reps and the general consensus. Am I missing something?
      Three points:

a) This is all subjective. What one person thinks says little about what another person will think.

b) This is an industry of liars. People say they like stuff all the time that they-- gasp!-- do not actually like! The only way to judge how someone *actually* feels about a script is by their actions. Did this "working writer" pass the script along to their agent? Did the development person buy the script and/or offer material they're trying to develop?

c) There's a big range of "like." Lots of scripts are decent, but for a manager to want to rep a writer, they ought to feel strongly about the material. There's a world of difference between "I like it enough to have coffee with you and offer advice" and "I like it enough to be your advocate for the next 5-25 years."

Comment

I agree with the others who've chimed in. People in the business often will kill you with kindness while doing nothing for you and never giving you a straight answer.

But even with that said, the three different opinions you cite from different sources are general enough that they really don't contradict one another. And they are not in-depth enough to really be constructive to you, as opposed to development notes, actual feedback. Because to provide that would actually require time, energy, and thought on their part.

One thing you could do is ask any/all of them if they could expand on their comments. Their response will help advance your understanding of where they're coming from even if they decline.

Comment

Both of those managers passed. It's not much more complicated than that. They did it in what they probably thought was a nice way. Nothing more. If you believe in the content, move on to other managers.

You can go crazy overthinking these kinds of rejections. Just move on.

Comment

I agree with the previous responses, and want to add another wrinkle.

Many managers these days are really producers in manager's clothing. They're looking for projects not writers. They want something they can take to one of the studios/networks/prodcos they have a relationship with, or a project that is perfect for one of their top ten acting clients. If they find that project then they sign the writer and get the best of both worlds.

And just to reiterate Ed's good advice...
            Both of those managers passed. It's not much more complicated than that. They did it in what they probably thought was a nice way. Nothing more. If you believe in the content, move on to other managers.

You can go crazy overthinking these kinds of rejections. Just move on.
            They're in business to stay in business, and the writer with a bad/mediocre script today could be the writer with the kick-butt script six months or a year from now.

HTH,
            Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
            3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

In addition, I have found that if a manager truly liked anything at all about your writing they will often leave the door open for follow up. i.e. What else you got? If there wasn't any sort of offer to read additional material then they are really just being nice and you can't use anything they say to improve your chances.
              Eric
              www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

It's all about whether they pursue you any further. The manager who said they like your voice but not the story - did they ask you to come in to meet? If not, it's a pass. Managers will certainly sign someone based on their writing (as opposed to an immediately sellable script), but you'll know it right away because they'll court you.
                https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Yeah, I should clarify that both managers left the door open, but I'm under no delusion that's anything other than a pass with a caveat in case something manifests. I guess I'm more scratching my head as to if I should've taken this as an indicator of my "readiness", but it sounds like from the responses I should take it all with a grain of salt, submit somewhere else, and write more.

Comment

Yeah, I should clarify that both managers left the door open, but I'm under no delusion that's anything other than a pass with a caveat in case something manifests. I guess I'm more scratching my head as to if I should've taken this as an indicator of my "readiness", but it sounds like from the responses I should take it all with a grain of salt, submit somewhere else, and write more.
                    You got that right.

Comment

I ran into the same issue for a very long time. Creative types - i.e. producers, writers, actors loved my work. Reps were the ones who were consistently a hurdle. Eventually I found the right fit though, so just keep at it.

And maybe re-query the one who loved your voice with another piece of material at a later date if you've not found a rep by then.

Comment

Working...
                      X