Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no voice

So, I just finished directing my first feature which I wrote. (It will be in limited release next month.)

I screened it to someone and he said that I have no voice.

I asked him what did he exactly mean. He said it just looks like a studio movie.

I'm perplexed.

I have no voice.

Is it really that important to have a voice?

Re: I have no voice

is it important? yes and no (imo)

like, when Quentin Tarantino makes a new movie, I'm usually there opening weekend because I know what a "Tarantino" movie is and I enjoy his takes on stories in the genre. i generally like his "voice." other filmmakers who are described as "Tarantino-esque" . . . usually not so much! but does that mean they don't continue to find work and careers in the business? not necessarily.

all things being equal, it's probably of more value to the writer/director to have a voice that connects with readers/viewers. but a lot of stuff still gets made that isn't infused with a specific voice. and that's mostly okay too.

"Try to have an opinion and try not to suck." -- David Simon

Comment

Originally posted by vstm10 View Post
      So, I just finished directing my first feature which I wrote. (It will be in limited release next month.)
      I asked him what did he exactly mean. He said it just looks like a studio movie.
      I'm perplexed.
      I have no voice.
      That's just one person's opinion. Consciously or subconsciously, it could easily be that the person who told you that you have no voice is simply envious of your accomplishment. To achieve an accurate assessment of your film's appeal, you would have to screen it to multiple persons and average the consensus of their opinions. Read the book The WISEST ONE in the ROOM chapter called “The Objectivity Illusion” for thoughts on näive realism and also for thoughts on the benefit of aggregation. All the best to you upon the limited release of your movie!
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-27-2018, 06:13 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Studio movies make a lot of money. It’s show *business*. And telling a cohesive, entertaining (people want to be entertained, not lectured) story ain’t easy. Just look at all the crap that gets released . I say congrats!

Comment

I'm perplexed.

I have no voice.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it. You're in. Congrats and let us know the title so we can check it out.
          TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
            Consciously or subconsciously, it could easily be that the person who told you that you have no voice is simply envious of your accomplishment.
            Thanks for the encouragement, but no, he's not envious, he's not a writer or a director.

Honestly, I really didn't aspire to make a quirky or intellectual or whathaveyou movie, I wasn't interested in giving my clear mark of recognition to it.

I always read about it in writing boards about this "voice" thingy, but I never brought it in real life, like asking myself if I had one or not.

But apparently it's a real thing, huh? You need to have one...

Bummer then.
            Last edited by vstm10; 08-28-2018, 07:04 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
              At this point I wouldn't worry about it. You're in. Congrats and let us know the title so we can check it out.
              Haha, no, I'm not in, it's just a little indie.

But thanks for the nice words, so here is the trailer if you want to check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTSqNVGGdTQ

Comment

Who cares? It's one person's opinion. Don't dwell on it and be prepared for much less kind feedback once you get your film out there. It's a tough business, and with social media and so forth everyone is a critic.

Congratulations on making your film, and good luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
                  be prepared for much less kind feedback once you get your film out there.
                  Yep. Helmet on already.

Comment

Haha, no, I'm not in, it's just a little indie.

But thanks for the nice words, so here is the trailer if you want to check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTSqNVGGdTQ
                    It's shot well, nice lighting and camera work. Decent acting. Well done for your directorial debut. Congratulations!

As for your friends opinion -- and I'm only making an assumption here -- perhaps by "no voice" he meant that the story has been done many times before, in many different ways and he doesn't see anything new or different. You didn't write it, though, so who cares? And even if you did, who cares? It is his interpretation.

Regardless, thank him for his opinion and don't stress over it. It's just one opinion and means nothing since we all have different interpretations of what we like as individuals.

Now, if 5 people say the same thing, then you gotta listen.

Good luck and again, congratulations!

Cheers!
                    il faut d'abord durer

Comment

I just finished directing my first feature ... it just looks like a studio movie ... I have no voice
                      And that's a problem because ... ?

When the major studios see your work they'll know that their next tentpole production would be in safe hands with you. Auteurs are too much of a financial risk - especially internationally.
                      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, but no, he's not envious, he's not a writer or a director.

Honestly, I really didn't aspire to make a quirky or intellectual or whathaveyou movie, I wasn't interested in giving my clear mark of recognition to it.

I always read about it in writing boards about this "voice" thingy, but I never brought it in real life, like asking myself if I had one or not.

But apparently it's a real thing, huh? You need to have one...

Bummer then.
                        His position in the industry matters little; anyone in one field can be envious of someone in another field, even if they might only be so for the latter having the wherewithal to follow through on their desire to create, in this case, a film.

Voice, Style, Character — you are you, and you've made a film. Your choices are your “voice.” Believe it or not, you do have a “voice,” and a part of that voice is in your film. Good luck, and congratulations!
                        Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM.
                        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
                          It's shot well, nice lighting and camera work. Decent acting. Well done for your directorial debut. Congratulations!

As for your friends opinion -- and I'm only making an assumption here -- perhaps by "no voice" he meant that the story has been done many times before, in many different ways and he doesn't see anything new or different. You didn't write it, though, so who cares? And even if you did, who cares? It is his interpretation.

Regardless, thank him for his opinion and don't stress over it. It's just one opinion and means nothing since we all have different interpretations of what we like as individuals.

Now, if 5 people say the same thing, then you gotta listen.

Good luck and again, congratulations!

Cheers!
                          Purves, knows her shit.

Although she fucking can't write comedy to save her life.

Just kidding. She thought she couldn't write comedy, once.

Close your eyes and just imagine if Tim Burton made "Saving Private Ryan".

That hurt didn't it?
                          TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

it's one person's opinion
                            it does not matter unless you let it
                            they said you have no voice,
                            doesn't make it true

it's not a bummer
                            people will love it
                            people will hate it
                            it's beyond your control

do what you love
                            the way that suits you
                            focus on the future
                            and don't look back

and... congratulations
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                              Purves, knows her shit.

Although she fucking can't write comedy to save her life.

Just kidding. She thought she couldn't write comedy, once.

Close your eyes and just imagine if Tim Burton made "Saving Private Ryan".

That hurt didn't it?
                              You wouldn't say that if you read the 1st draft of my last attempt at comedy!

But I appreciate the compliment.
                              il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Working...
                              X