Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I have no voice

... he said that I have no voice. I asked him what did he exactly mean. He said it just looks like a studio movie.
    Voice means so many different things to so many different people that it is almost not worth discussing it at all. Mark Sommers gave a nice method for thinking about voice to give you a general idea of what it means.

He said that you should think about what Saving Private Ryan would have been like if Tim Burton had made it. But even such a comparison is probably more about genre and some particular elements than about voice. Of course, genre and elements (drama, comedy, the grotesque) are part of voice.

Your friend, in making his comment, was probably saying that nothing in the film reached out and grabbed him and made him care. If so, that is not because the film lacked voice, but because the story and the characters did not excite him.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I checked the trailer.

Looked interesting.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Yeah cool trailer, they look and sound like actors, that looks as if it could be a movie. Congrats!

Needs more shakycam! Maybe that's what the guy meant.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post

Your friend, in making his comment, was probably saying that nothing in the film reached out and grabbed him and made him care.
          This!

This sounds true to me.

I guess I know deep in my heart I'm not a writer.

I just want to direct, I can't give a toss about writing, I just did it for necessity.

Oh well.

(Not that that is going to stop me...)

Comment

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post

Now, if 5 people say the same thing, then you gotta listen.

Ha! I'm sure there will be more that 5!

Comment

Good trailer. Well done for your accomplishment.

Maybe he meant a "hallmark" of your film (but that doesn't usually happen until you have multiple films) like a Car Chase is analogous with Michael Bay or Lens Flare is synonymous with this directors work, Leone and extreme facial and eye close-ups, etc. (but that's more style...)

If I saw just Spielberg's movie "The Duel" and that was it...I don't think I'd have enough info to even make a determination of what Spielberg's voice is or what it's evolved to over 40+ years.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it IMHO. 40 years from now you'll have a body of work that in retrospect you'll be able to look at and see your "voice" in your films.
              Last edited by UneducatedFan; 08-29-2018, 04:36 PM.
              You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Working...
              X