No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Representation for non-US citizens

Greetings fellow writers

I've completed a script for a sci-fi/western and I recently applied for funds to take the next step at the Danish Film Institute. They passed, since it's in english and too commercial, but suggested that I made contact with US companies.

And that's the pickle. As far as I can make out, reading up on the subject, most studios will sooner or later request your presence, if the story strikes their fancy. That will be quite hard for me to comply to. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any of the known agencies anywhere near Denmark. So what am I going to do? I'm absolutely positive, that this film have an audience and so do the readers I've employed so far (one is an academy award winner).

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated (I'll include you in the special thanks credits or something ). What is my next step?

P.S. If this is placed under the wrong banner, please replace.

Re: Representation for non-US citizens

Originally posted by zbr View Post
    I've completed a script for a sci-fi/western and I recently applied for funds to take the next step at the Danish Film Institute. They passed, since it's in english and too commercial, but suggested that I made contact with US companies.

And that's the pickle. As far as I can make out, reading up on the subject, most studios will sooner or later request your presence, if the story strikes their fancy. That will be quite hard for me to comply to. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any of the known agencies anywhere near Denmark. So what am I going to do? I'm absolutely positive, that this film have an audience and so do the readers I've employed so far (one is an academy award winner).
    They'd fly you over if your script is good enough. Worry about coming to LA after the fact.

If you cannot get Lars von Trier or the Academy Award winner to directly recommend you, just quote him / her when contacting their representatives.

Good luck.
    "The writer is the most important person in Hollywood, but we must never tell the sons of bitches." -- Irving G. Thalberg

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost22 View Post
      They'd fly you over if your script is good enough. Worry about coming to LA after the fact.

If you cannot get Lars von Trier or the Academy Award winner to directly recommend you, just quote him / her when contacting their representatives.

Good luck.
      Hehe.. all though I share a firstname with Trier, it is Martin Strange-Hansen who is my buddy.

But the question still remains. How do I get through to those representatives?

Comment

Hehe.. all though I share a firstname with Trier, it is Martin Strange-Hansen who is my buddy.

But the question still remains. How do I get through to those representatives?
        How would I know? I am wasting my time on Message Boards. Call Paul Schwartzman for example, @ 310-828-4040 (he's van Trier's manager here) or send him an e-mail @ [email protected] and get him to read your masterpiece.

Man, you're from Denmark. Everyone who knows Denmark loves it. You know, Søren Kierkegaard or the little mermaid in Kobenhavn that will sing when the first virgin younger than 18 passes it by, stuff like that.

On DD you have a lot of data. On imdbpro.com even more so. Calling from Denmark is kind of cool, call them
        "The writer is the most important person in Hollywood, but we must never tell the sons of bitches." -- Irving G. Thalberg

Comment

How do I get through to those representatives?
          There are a wealth of resources here for writers looking to query representatives, and many have had a lot of success with getting reads at the very least. Try reading the loglines & query letters forum. You are many many steps away from needing to fly to LA, but yes, that will be a requirement if you want to work with American studios.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost22 View Post
            How would I know? I am wasting my time on Message Boards. Call Paul Schwartzman for example, @ 310-828-4040 (he's van Trier's manager here) or send him an e-mail @ [email protected] and get him to read your masterpiece.

Man, you're from Denmark. Everyone who knows Denmark loves it. You know, Søren Kierkegaard or the little mermaid in Kobenhavn that will sing when the first virgin younger than 18 passes it by, stuff like that.

On DD you have a lot of data. On imdbpro.com even more so. Calling from Denmark is kind of cool, call them
            I'll try writing him. Thanks a bunch

And masterpiece doesn't really apply

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
              There are a wealth of resources here for writers looking to query representatives, and many have had a lot of success with getting reads at the very least. Try reading the loglines & query letters forum. You are many many steps away from needing to fly to LA, but yes, that will be a requirement if you want to work with American studios.
              I'll work almost anywhere in the world, so that's no biggie

Comment

Working...
              X