Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The management process demystified

All given name silliness aside, I do have some thoughts on this. I just have to make them coherent in my mind.

And that ain't happening tonight.

So I'll post 'em tomorrow.

Hopefully someone else will chime in before then.

Comment

i wouldn't worry much about it bob , your first name has popped up in quippy threads in the past when you've joked with others. if the poster watched awhile before coming in, then he/she may have been picked it up earlier at some point.
      life happens
      despite a few cracked pots-
      and random sunlight

Comment

Surely you're not Robert Evans of Paramount fame? If you are, what are you doing posting on Done Deal? You should be making your own deals... Or "The Kid Stays In The Picture Part II".

Is your name really Bob Evans?

Comment

Is it simply doing the query job we already do, but now with an air of validation?
          they can also take your script to directors and actors, attach them to the project and make it look for attractive to producers.

Comment

Seems very few writers actually have a grasp on what a manager *really* does for us.

If a manager has ten baby writers, what does a typcal day look like for said manager?

A few phone calls, checking up on a new draft? A couple queries to friends, trying to get their flock read? Doesn't seem like much work.

If you're an agent, you have to put deals together. Hustle. Managers more or less sound like coaches.

Without trolling this thread, can anybody actually state the logistic process a manager does when trying to break a baby writer?

Or do they feel their secrets will be revealed.

Secrets of brilliance? Or laziness?

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              they can also take your script to directors and actors, attach them to the project and make it look for attractive to producers.
              That's next to impossible. They can't make a money offer. Maybe if they are producing but as a manager, practically impossible.

Although they may like us to believe they are trying to attach elements.

When it comes to sales, unless you like burning scripts like CAA does.

Attachments are a detriment.

Virgin material commands a far higher price for the writer.

Comment

I read somewhere that almost anyone can print out some business cards and call themselves a "manager." So, what are qualities in managers that writers need to look for?
                agents must be licensed. managers don't need a license. they just need connections.
                That's next to impossible. They can't make a money offer. Maybe if they are producing but as a manager, practically impossible.
                not true. a manager CAN take your script to a director and get them attached. it's not impossible. i said it would make the project look more attractive to producers. i didn't say a director would buy it. the right attachment is not a detriment.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  a manager CAN take your script to a director and get them attached. it's not impossible. i said it would make the project look more attractive to producers. i didn't say a director would buy it.
                  That's simply not true. It will not make it more attractive to buyers.

If you're a packaging agency, like CAA. The script becomes the vehicle for talent to parasite off of. And in the end the writer is the least important deal (money figure) in that package.

Buyers would rather buy a virgin spec and then go find the director and actor they want to work with.

If you believe otherwise, it's a testament to the creepy power places like CAA have on public perception of what goes into making a script sale possible.

Sorry, but that is the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Eszterhas Jr. View Post

Although they may like us to believe they are trying to attach elements.

When it comes to sales, unless you like burning scripts like CAA does.

Attachments are a detriment.

Virgin material commands a far higher price for the writer.
                    You have to make a money offer to that director or actor to get them attached.

99 out of 100 times you must make an offer, or they won't attach.

Comment

Let me explain why attaching talent DOES NOT help a script or writer's career.

You somehow attach a director and acting talent (without making an offer, next to impossible) then you bring the script wide.

It doesn't sell like 99 out of 100 scripts.

So what?

Well, you just burned that script.

Why?

Because the town's perception now is "must be a bum script, they couldn't sell it and they had Wonderkind directing and Star starring."

And if it did sell, your money figure takes backseat to the seven (or eight) figure deal the directing and acting talent takes.

But everybody tries to get the writer to think attaching wattage to a script helps.

It does not help. In the majority cases.

And simply feeds the myth that directors and actors are more important than a good story.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Eszterhas Jr. View Post
                        That's simply not true. It will not make it more attractive to buyers.

If you're a packaging agency, like CAA. The script becomes the vehicle for talent to parasite off of. And in the end the writer is the least important deal (money figure) in that package.

Buyers would rather buy a virgin spec and then go find the director and actor they want to work with.

If you believe otherwise, it's a testament to the creepy power places like CAA have on public perception of what goes into making a script sale possible.

Sorry, but that is the truth.
                        You are seriously misinformed. What do you base this on? Are you currently working in the business in a non-writing capacity, i.e., production company, agency, or foreign sales company?

Comment

-see my next post-
                          Last edited by Joe Eszterhas Jr.; 08-18-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Here are some things my manager has done for me:

Helped develop ideas.
                            Given feedback on scripts.
                            Taken specs out to producers/studios.
                            Talked me up to anyone and everyone he speaks to.
                            Had his assistant coordinate and schedule all my meetings.
                            Gotten me agent meetings.
                            Helped me choose an agent.
                            Kept in touch with people I've met with so they won't forget about me.
                            Given me his Laker tickets when he couldn't use them.
                            Kept me motivated, focused, and continually churning out new material.

P.S. Joe Eszterhas Jr., despite the authority with which you speak, I think you are wrong. As an unknown writer, an A- or even B- list director attached to your script can only help its chances of getting set up.
                            ==========

Comment

I'm not sure who "we" is here. Sounds like you asked a question you already had a misinformed answer for so that you could generate some discussion before announcing your opinion as fact.
                              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Just another pseudonymous clown act. (Not everyone who posts under a pseudonym's a clown, but every clown posts under a pseudonym).
                                Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Working...
                                X